Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Owner's First Trip

We finally got a chance to get way for the weekend in our "new to us" Alpine. What a major difference going from a gasser to a DP!

The coach performed well and everything seemed to work as it was supposed to. The only issue, we encountered a six hour blowing monsoon as we were attempting to get ready to leave, and the rest of the trip home. The moonsoon was able to penetrate the coach in two places, the forward A/C ,and a small drip in the kitchen near the sink. I'm not certain, but the slideout awning was holding an incrediable amount of water over the slideout; that could have been a contributing factor to the kitchen area drip. I'm assuming the front A/C needs to be re-sealed.

All that said, we couldn't be happier with our purchase. I have no doubt that the knowledgeable members of this great forum will keep me informed, as I attempt to stay on top of known issues.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Water leaks are extremely difficult to locate the source. Take your time and seal any and all possible sources. That being said a DP is great, quiet, and dependable. HAVE FUN!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #3

Jim28730,

Welcome as a new Alpine Coach owner. You will find lots of answers and help on this forum. Just be patient with all the problems. There are solutions.

Leaks around the A/C or other penetrations on the roof are somewhat common. See these links for some common problems and solutions:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/a-c-...hat-38237.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/leaking-roof-19538.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/roof-leaks-28003.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/a-c-...ins-56019.html
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Welcome, we have an older 34 footer. I think the A/C issue is covered in the above posts. Basically you probably just need to replace the gasket between the roof and the A/C. The water leak is most likely due to the water collection on the slide topper awning. I have had that happen and what I do when leaving after having been in the rain is to raise the passenger side of the coach and then pull the slide in. That makes sure the water goes out rather than in.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Some folks put the slide in when it is raining hard, because usually, the wind comes up, and could tear it off. Or lower that side of the coach a tad, but I don't like doing that, so we just put the slide in until the rain is over.

Most likely if the gasket is not wrinkled, and their is really no way to know, tighting the hold down bolts is the best method of correcting the leak. Once we had our alpine, tigthing the a/c bolts was one of the first things I did. I check them annually, as 33K going down the road, things shake a lot and loosen up. I check every bolt, nut, or screw I can reach or find at one time or another, just to be sure. For the wooden ones stripped out, take a wooden match, stuff the non lighting end in the hole, break off at surface, and if necessary stuff some more into the hole, replace the screw, you are done. Toothpicks work as well, or you can purchase so oak dowel rod, very thin diameter, and use that, and they make special inserts made of of wood which have a screw hole already started, I am going to purchase some of those, as that would be a one time repair.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all of the advice, previous posts were very helpful. One question; do you tighten the A/C bolts from the interior or the roof?
Thanks again!
Jim
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #7

Jim28730,

Below is a picture of a CAD drawing I made to convince WRV to add a section of wiper seal to my drivers side slide. Since the addition of the wiper seal my slide has not leaked a drop since 2006. I have been in some tremendous downpours with high winds pushing the rain sideways. The biggest problem I have had with the 2 Alpines I have owned is the slide is not square to the opening. The back of the slide is quite often lower than the front. If this is the case the primary seal probably does not contact the seal depressor and the wiper seal is not touching the top of the slide. No amount of goop is going to stop wind driven rain from getting in.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
......For the wooden ones stripped out, take a wooden match, stuff the non lighting end in the hole, break off at surface, and if necessary stuff some more into the hole, replace the screw, you are done. Toothpicks work as well, or you can purchase so oak dowel rod, very thin diameter, and use that, and they make special inserts made of of wood which have a screw hole already started, I am going to purchase some of those, as that would be a one time repair.
also add a drop (just a drop) of "Gorilla Glue" on the toothpick or match, before insertion....It will expand, and grip the screw, and it will NOT loosen again!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I have never tried to seal the top of the slides. I want to keep all water off the top of the slides. See my post here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/rain...ide-30118.html

This has always worked for me. I can't say if it will work on toppers that have the roll up metal section attached to the coach.

Yesterday, when it started to rain hard, I raised the rear of the coach, to keep the slide topper draining properly and have stayed dry.

The front AC may just need tightening, mine were not right from the factory. Do not over tighten, you can warp the AC base.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Dale,
Do you access the A/C bolts from inside the coach or from the roof?
Jim
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #11

Jim28730,

For my Dometic A/C with heat pump, the installation manual states:

"Start each mounting bolt through the ceiling template and up into the unit base pan by hand. Install wood screw in each end of the ceiling template. This insures a tight fit of the return air cover to ceiling. See FIG. 14. Evenly tighten mounting bolts to compress gasket to 1/2" this will be a torque of 40 - 50 inch pounds. The bolts are self locking so over tightening is not necessary. See FIG. 15."

You access the bolts from inside the coach.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you sir. I'll get to tinkerin' this weekend!