Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

Sounds like everthing should be fine.

Few more comments if I may. You have 11R22.5 they are 41.3 inches in diameter. If you drop down to 275/70R22.5 at 38 inches you will be decreasing size by 8%. Also if you have trouble on the road, it is a very big possibility road service will not have the odd ball size (275/70R22.5).

It would seem to me Steer Safe would make the power steering work harder. Am I thinking right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
WOW, IMHO (In my humble opinion)&(FWIW) You guys really have done your homework. I'm printing this post out for future reference. WOW (is just I'M IMPRESSED) also a little confused.
ggbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #17

Tom & Patty: Thanks for the info about the difference in tire size. I have (had) no intention of ever downsizing.
Steve S & Tom/Patty: I spoke with Larry, the owner of Steer Safe in Deming, NM., and told him of the concerns. He advised that SS did hold the wheels securly during a blowout but that the driver certainly could turn the wheel. He also said that the powersteering works about as hard as it does when turning from a stationary position in a parking lot. He started to sound a lot like Engineer Mike (compliment intended) so I asked if he would take calls from inquiring minds. (yes)
Engineer Mike: did I understand somehow that blowouts are more likely to occur on a curve? (road hazards excluded)
Now it seem that I don't even have to go to Deming, NM. as Camping World does the SS install. I tried to attach their site in this post and succeeded in wiping out the entire post so this is my second go-round. Larry at Steer Safe's phone # is 1-800-845-5504

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #18

I suppose blowouts are more likely on a curve, absent road hazard, due to higher stress on outside tire, but I suspect available data on this is scarce. My theory is that some OEM defect or some induced weakening (e.g. pothole pinch) erodes tire integrity over time, then when the final straw hits, the tire blows. Good reason to R&R tires after major pothole soiree's as suggested above.

W/that said, last blowout I saw (after the fact) was a Discovery DP along I-80 on a dead-straight stretch, w/right front tire shredded, pulled straight sufficiently there were no traffic consequences & driver didn't see any road hazard. Tires had plenty of tread but were ~5 years old. And of course, it was 5:15 p.m. on a Sunday, no spare.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #19

Well,, here is another angle........
the front tires on both of my
Alpines (a 40ft 00 and now a 40ft 03) have shown signs of edge wear on the outside of the tread. I have been assured over and over again by Toyo and WRV that this is normal wear. Other than the unusual appearance of the tires we have had no problems. Thats nada, nothing. With regard to the Centramatic wheel balancing units I say, what for? If the tires are balanced by a reputable tire shop why spend the extra money? With regard to the Steer safe, which I believe is just several springs connected to the tie rod or perhaps a HD shock absorber tied to the tie rod, save your money and in case of a blow out just remember to NOT TO STEP ON THE BRAKES, BUT STEP ON THE THROTTLE INSTEAD, you will just go straight, and not go off into a field. Then slowly let up on the throttle and come to a complete stop. The TOYOs are good enough, so is the steering. Relax and enjoy. Are you trying to SPEND your way into that great feeling of safety and well being?
P.S. I have been in the HD truck supply business for over 35 years, and nobody but a few owners who tend to buy all the latest gimicks uses any of the above mentioned products. They just regularly check tire pressure and condition of the tires and dont panic in case of a blow out. And these folks spend thousands of hours behind the wheel at max gross weight. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

I hope no one in the tire business was trying to downsize your Alpines tires.

Stretch, you're talking my language.

I just found those graemlins by looking at those crazy toyhaulers forum....Sean, Mike, Griz, ect.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Tom and Patty or other Alpine Owners,
First let me say, that no one should reduce tire size to the 275/70R22.5, they just look funny and small. (not as safe either)

Tom, quotes 11R22.5 as 41.3 diameter, does anyone know the diameter of the 295/75R22.5 and cross section width? Also what is the difference between 295/75R22.5 and 295/80R22.5 that you see on some other brands?

D & D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 07-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
D & D,

295/75R22.5 is 40.3 inches in dia. give or take .2 inches. Do you mean 275/80R22.5 which is a Michelin size equivalent to the 295/75R22.5.

295/8022.5 is 41.3 by Michelin, and 41.1 if you use my formula below. Width is 11.8. This is equivalent to a 11R22.5 in height. 11R22.5 is 11.1 in width.

Here is the formula to figure height and width.

295/75R22.5

295 is the width of the tire in millimeters

75 is the aspect ratio, that is the relation of the the height of the sidewall to width of the tire .

22.5 is of course the diameter of the wheel.

295 x 75% (.75) equals 221.25 millimeters in height of the sidewall.

221.25 divided by 25.4 mm/inch equals 8.71 inches.

8.71 inches equals the height of the sidewall.

8.71 plus 8.71 (two sidewalls) plus 22.5 (the diameter of the wheel) equals 39.92.

40 inches. This formula will give you the diameter of any metric size tire (245/75R16...30.48) within industry specs. You will be close, usually within .2 inches.

So a 295/75R22.5 is 295mm divided by 25.4mm/in. ........11.62 inches wide. That will be section width (overall width) not tread width.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Tom & Patty,
Thanks for you reply to my tire size question.

No, what I had is correct (295/80R22.5) I have seen these mostly on upper model Monaco coaches.

Thanks,
D&D Rich