Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Question New to the RV world

I have been a tent camper my whole life, but it is time for a change. My wife and I are thinking of buying a Travel Trailer of 5th Wheel and have several questions.
First, anybody have any thoughts on trailer vs 5th wheel? I own a Ford F350 Diesel (7.3) which was used as a 5th wheel hauler prior to my ownership. It also has a towing package on it, so is plenty strong
Second, I have found a 2006 Alpenlite 30RL Versailles that I like the floor plan. Is the fact that the company no longer exists a reason to not consider this?
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went through the same process. Bought a used Excel 5th wheeler. They too have gone out business, like many other good companies. I'm not at all concerned about it, out of warranty anywY and I do my service. Make sure the gross Wright of the trailer and c spa it yet of the truck match, don't drive ocer loaded!

I liked the 5th wheeler over a TT because of stability and turning radius. I think the 5th you're looking at should be good, better than many. There are lemons in every brand. Spend some serious time going over every detail and check every system before you pull the trigger. My beating were bad and to replace the axles and under carriage. Mine came with a very unusual beating size for Excels, 49mm, a long story. Study, read and study some more. This forum has lots of great knowledge from its members.

Enjoy and safe travels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Huffy, there's a library just full of info and Alpine didn't make there own parts. These guys on here can help with all that. Go here and look around.Alpine Coach - Technical Information
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FD Alpine 350 ISC
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
I have been a tent camper my whole life, but it is time for a change. My wife and I are thinking of buying a Travel Trailer of 5th Wheel and have several questions.

First, anybody have any thoughts on trailer vs 5th wheel? I own a Ford F350 Diesel (7.3) which was used as a 5th wheel hauler prior to my ownership. It also has a towing package on it, so is plenty strong

Second, I have found a 2006 Alpenlite 30RL Versailles that I like the floor plan. Is the fact that the company no longer exists a reason to not consider this?

Huffy, Western RV had 2 distinct product groups, the Alpine Coach and Alpinelite. They started manufacturing the Alpinelite, then in 1998 (or so) started the coach division. This forum is dedicated to the Alpine Coach, I have been on it for 10 years and have only seen 2 postings related to Alpinelite's. I am not saying not to post here, but rather you should get better results if you looked/posted in the 5th wheeler area. The members here will certainly try to assist you, but we are Coach owners, not 5th wheelers, although many have progressed from tenting as you are looking to do so their experience might be relevant.

From everything I have heard Western made one of the best 5er's in the Alpinelite. Every owner I have spoken to has been very pleased, but I know nothing about what tow vehicle is best, that is why I suggest the 5er forum.

RV manufacturers, including Western, use common parts (generators , inverters, refers, axles, etc) that are for the most part available, some parts maybe discontinued, but in most cases there is a work around. Western did this a lot, their expertise was not generators, refers, or finance (that was their undoing) they built good coaches/5ers), there are VERY few parts on an Alpine Coach that are unique and I would expect that is also true on an Alpinelite.

Good luck and if you want more information we will assist as best we can.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
Huffy, there's a library just full of info and Alpine didn't make there own parts. These guys on here can help with all that. Go here and look around.Alpine Coach - Technical Information
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FD Alpine 350 ISC

The tech library is designed for the Alpine Coach, you may find something on the Alpinelites but that would be quite by chance, it might be worth looking at if you could not find anything specific to the Alpinelite, just remember that it is targeted for coaches.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote