Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Am I the only one with a complaint about a noisy steering wheel? Some time ago during a discussion with Phil Mattoon I asked him if he knew why my Alpine steering wheel made a ratcheting noise while maneuvering slowly. I also mentioned that I really couldn't hear it at normal road speed, but it probably was still there. Phil's response was that, "Yes, some Alpines do have this ratcheting/grinding noise, it's not unusual and probably won't hurt anything." His suggestion was to remove the trim collar on the wheel shaft assembly at the floor and lube the thing. I've yet to do that; many more important items than this annoying noise. The folks at Cummins Cal Pacific, El Cajon, CA tell me that all the Alpines going through their shop make the noise, and "How can you stand it, it would drive me crazy." I had the front end aligned a couple days and the owner of the shop at East County Alignment, Santee, CA (a great alignment, by the way, they solved a rather severe right pull that began at around 6,000 miles); made a similar comment. Apparently he hasn't done many Alpines, and mine was the first he had heard the noise. The next stop was County R.V., Santee, CA for a routine warranty check on the refrigerator and stove. The people there also think the steering noise is pretty annoying, but of course had no suggestions how to solve the problem. I might add that what I'm trying to describe is not a power steering related issue; just a plain old ratcheting/grinding noise. Any ideas out there?

Dick
2006 FDTS
San Diego, CA
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Am I the only one with a complaint about a noisy steering wheel? Some time ago during a discussion with Phil Mattoon I asked him if he knew why my Alpine steering wheel made a ratcheting noise while maneuvering slowly. I also mentioned that I really couldn't hear it at normal road speed, but it probably was still there. Phil's response was that, "Yes, some Alpines do have this ratcheting/grinding noise, it's not unusual and probably won't hurt anything." His suggestion was to remove the trim collar on the wheel shaft assembly at the floor and lube the thing. I've yet to do that; many more important items than this annoying noise. The folks at Cummins Cal Pacific, El Cajon, CA tell me that all the Alpines going through their shop make the noise, and "How can you stand it, it would drive me crazy." I had the front end aligned a couple days and the owner of the shop at East County Alignment, Santee, CA (a great alignment, by the way, they solved a rather severe right pull that began at around 6,000 miles); made a similar comment. Apparently he hasn't done many Alpines, and mine was the first he had heard the noise. The next stop was County R.V., Santee, CA for a routine warranty check on the refrigerator and stove. The people there also think the steering noise is pretty annoying, but of course had no suggestions how to solve the problem. I might add that what I'm trying to describe is not a power steering related issue; just a plain old ratcheting/grinding noise. Any ideas out there?

Dick
2006 FDTS
San Diego, CA
Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #3

When I did my factory pickup, noted that steering wheel would produce an annoying whirring noise whenever turning. At the time Izzy said a boot was rubbing on something and he used some silicone spray to resolve the problem. I had expected to have further problems with it, but after 3 yrs/30K + miles the problem has not cropped up again. But then again, I had the steering column replaced at 15K miles, reason then was a off center steering wheel. Steering wheel could not be removed to reclock, so WRV supplied a replacment steering column to service shop (Cummins Coach Care).

BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #4

1) I miss Izzy.
2) We had a remarkable steering noise & a quick lube job cured it. Izzy noted it, said he knew exactly what it was & how to fix it, & next time out it was gone. There is a wiper-type boot around the steering column where it penetrates the floor; I'm pretty sure that's it.
3) Another possibility, tho its more tactile feedback than noise, is the hydraulic steering assist. Until the hydraulics fully pump up I have had an angular jumpiness to the steering. This goes away very fast after a cold start but it takes one or two rev-ups of the engine while under way.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When I had my coach in for service a few weeks ago, the Service writer told me that the solution to the steering wheel noise was to clean the area around the boot and lubricate it. This goes on the "to do" for later. I agree this is an annoying sound. One place I had the coach serviced thought it was a tire rubbing against the wheel well. When I explained that this was annoying but "normal", he gave me a look that said "If you believe that, I can get you a great deal on some swamp land ideal for a home with a full basement."
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have it as well. I just have not gotten around to fixing it. I was told by Claton at Uhlman RV the same thing and how to fix it. Just lazy, it not bad above slow driving speed, so I don't worry about it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #7

Phil Mattoon told me a number of years ago to fill that rubber boot up with grease and it should get rid of the noise. That was three years ago since I filled it with grease and I have not heard it since.
Eng. M, I miss all of them and you too since you got your new coach and do not have as many problems.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #8

I finally got over a case of severe laziness and pulled the trim panel off the steering column and lubed the floor dust boot; which incidentally was actually turning with the steering shaft helping to create even more noise. No wonder it was so loud. I used some Dow-Corning 4, a silicon based lube and now absolutely no noise. What a nice change. In future visits to various maintenance facilities they will no longer be able to badmouth our Alpine by saying, "they all have noisy steering, I don't know how you put up with that." If the boys at Cummins Cal Pacific are real nice I might even share this information with them.

I've got one more item regarding those plastic or Teflon trim buttons that snap into the many square-drive screws that WRV was so fond of. Actually, I've become a fan of them also except for one thing. Removing the steering column panels or any of the other various trim panels will necessitate removing these buttons to access the screw heads. As careful as one might be, most of the time these tan/ivory colored buttons will not re-snap securely into the screw head. I've been using super glue or a dab of contact cement to re-secure these little devils, but it sure would be nice to have a source for a batch of them. Are there any ideas out there?

Dick
2006 FDTS
San Diego, CA
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #9

I can't remember where I ordered them from but I did a Google search and found some. The catch was I had to buy 500. The 500 was about $20. If you are at the Branson Rally I am sure I could spare a few. They are tan not the ivory shade I needed but they look OK.

Try this link,
http://www.pro-dec.com/
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #10

Dick, I think the phillips head will stick in the square hole. If so HD or Lowes. Worth a try. Could never get round things into square holes though.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #11

Thanks much, Wayne and Ted, for the leads on the trim buttons. Pro-dec.com seems to have some pretty neat stuff.

Dick
2006, 36' FDTS
Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #12

Home Depot in the tool department (why tools? must have been some tool made that decision) has them in our Roseville, CA store. Ask where to find wooden buttons for covering a screw head (an maybe grab a pack of those also since its only a matter of time B4 you need a coupla them as well) and the plastic gizmos should be on the same display.