Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #1

Noisy Water Pump

A new Artis Products water pump was installed on my coach when I bought it 5 years ago.
Its 4 rubber legs are mounted to a wooden board which is mounted to the coach frame rail. All the attachments are tight.

The pump motor is not noisy and delivers plenty of water pressure but when it runs it sounds like a jack hammer.

Any suggestions for finding and eliminating the source of the noise/vibration?

Thanks
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Not sure how loud you're hearing but describing it as a jack-hammer doesn't sound good. Depending on the RV, mine have ranged from a soft purr, to a loud jack-hammer. I guess it depends on how its mounted and where. Either way, I personally tune it out as it's only temporary when water pressure is needed.

To answer your question, my money is on the pump itself as the source of the noise. If located in a small compartment maybe gluing sound proofing to the sides? If in a general compartment along side other stuff like water tanks, you might need to remove it from the plywood its anchored to and possibly look at bolting it in place by adding rubber feet or on a rubber base in order to absorb the vibration.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

Try loosening up the mount bolts a little.....and make sure all the air is out of the system....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Three things: loosen the bolts and/or add more rubber mounting material; add/use flex faucet hoses between pump and OEM PEX water lines; add a small pressure tank....or maybe its just the pump itself???
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

Mine is exactly mounted as you discribed. One single change I did had an amazing effect. Instead of having the pex tubing directly going into the pump I placed a piece of flexible tubing in between. I was totally amazed by the difference it made. I was not able to hear the pump in the living quarters only if I had my head down in the compartment... cheap and very effective.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Alpine06;5452891]
I placed a piece of flexible tubing in between.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that.

Did you use off the shelf faucet lines or did you fabricate lines from flexible plastic tubing?
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #7

[QUOTE=gmcgene;5453391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
I placed a piece of flexible tubing in between.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that.

Did you use off the shelf faucet lines or did you fabricate lines from flexible plastic tubing?

I used a piece of nylon reinforced white tubing that I had at the house. Because the discharge side of the pump has 55 psi you want to use a hose that holds it shape otherwise it will be difficult to seal onto any barbed fitting. Also I routed that hose in a nice loop coming off the pump to the original pex tubing. I was able to find all the fittings at Menards.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Pretty sure the PEX connections were 1/2 inch so it is easy to just reconnect with the faucet hoses from Lowes, etc--just add Teflon tape....also did the loop but maybe doing it on the horizontal is better to help with winterizing--not a biggie here in south Texas....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #9

I used this kit. It works!

Camco RV Water Pump Silencer Kit
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #10

In addition to the flex hose inlet & outlet actually mounting the pump to 2 short pieces of tubing and mounting the tubing separately to the backing is very effective a noise reduction. See pic
Name:   1485996783829.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  16.0 KB
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #11

My 04, the pump is mounted to a piece of plywood, the plywood was taped to the frame. The vibration harmonics travel through the entire structure. One day I noticed it wasn’t as noisy. The tape gave up and the board was hanging by the hoses. Been that way for several years now��.
I think when the pump fails I’ll re-tape the plywood with some foam between the board and frame.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
My 04, the pump is mounted to a piece of plywood, the plywood was taped to the frame. The vibration harmonics travel through the entire structure. One day I noticed it wasn’t as noisy. The tape gave up and the board was hanging by the hoses. Been that way for several years now��.
I think when the pump fails I’ll re-tape the plywood with some foam between the board and frame.

I had the same mount, I took a piece of pine and ran I from the piece of plywood to the basement floor, then mounted the pump to that piece of pine. A whole lot less noise, just had to turn upside down.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Ill re-tape the plywood with some foam between the board and frame.
After witnessing the hold of the roofing sealant tape, DuraBond(?), it may be a good choice.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
After witnessing the hold of the roofing sealant tape, DuraBond(?), it may be a good choice.
If I remember correctly, the tape was wrapped around the frame rail and board
before the floor was installed. Might have to find another way to attach?
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump