Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2022, 06:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by REESE18 View Post
I am a former ONAN mechanic. If the generator starts and then stalls when you let go of the switch usually means it is not producing electricity. Onan has great step by step troubleshooting guides. You can use a voltmeter to see if there is output voltage when you are holding start switch. I suspect you not see any output
Reese18, do you have a link to these troubleshooting guides? I’d love to get my hands on a copy, electronic or paper.
Twolanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2022, 06:00 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can imagine Low oil pressure after oil change, until filter fills? START does BYPASS op SWITCH, BUT THEN MUST PRODUCE ELECTRIC BEFORE relays stay engaged to Power FP running, etc. re: Manuals, easy to find, just google your Model #/name/(owner manual/ service manual/ parts list), etc
Old 02-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #45

Flightsystems.com has really good self help videos as well as over the phone help. Their parts are a lot cheaper than Onan also. Used them a couple times
Paw Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
there are three separate coils and the output pairs are labeled on the wire and it does make a difference to have the matching pairs going to the three phase rectifier.
Close.....
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...page=42#manual
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #47

Fuel shut off

Went through this very thing where gen would start and then stall immediately. Vibration caused a voltage line connection to come loose in a 4x4 box, gen didn’t see voltage and shut down which it was designed to do. Another possibility is most if not all diesels use some sort of fuel valve to start/stop. Could be working in start mode but disconnects in run mode?
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:29 AM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, GEN just connected to a pickup that does not go to bottom of main tank, so fuel drops below 1/4 tank and GEN sucks air.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:43 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Onan 7500 starts then dies unless I keep holding start

I had the exact same issue last year. The generator had shut down when I had it running while boondocking. Generator had a burned electrical smell when I got real close. Replaced bad control board. Generator would then run but no electrical output on one leg. Had to then replace the stator. I was very fortunate to find a stator at a dealer in Penn. as they were not available thru Onan.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #50

Following
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldweb View Post
here is the pdf much easier to search info. WELL UNFORTUNATBE THAT THIS SITE WILL NOT ALLOW THE SIZE OF THE FILE TO BE SHARED WITH EVERYONE
How stupid of the site not to allow a files section for important info.
If you want it you will have to Download from the files section . SEE LINK ABOVE TO GET THE FULL PDF.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Start over

TIME TO FOCUS
suggest go back to matching the wire from the stator to the inverter for proper phasing to the diode pack. If they are not right you won't get the AC to the rectifiers to make the DC need for the logic boards. There are two boards in the inverter with lots of CMOS chip that need the DC to allow the engine to operate. If you are not getting the proper voltages as output you will end up sending the inverter to Flight Systems for repair in Mechanicberg PA. cost about 900 bucks. I sent my there for repair and and it did not work then had to send it back the second time to fix it right.

It runs well now but once in a while I get an oil pressure code but it runs after a second try. I replace the water temp and oil sensor. I used a hole saw on the heat shield to access the water temp and the used loctite PL MAX to glue it back in place. Saved a lot of dismantling.
NOTE: don't get to chasing around with wild well meaning suggestions for repair with unrelated issues.

Make sure you have cleaned up most of the pieces of magnet from critical areas. I also had a problem with the two connectors coming loose on the top of the governor. The plastic cover vibrates loose and pushes them off the terminals.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #53
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
here is the pdf much easier to search info. WELL UNFORTUNATBE THAT THIS SITE WILL NOT ALLOW THE SIZE OF THE FILE TO BE SHARED WITH EVERYONE
How stupid of the site not to allow a files section for important info.
If you want it you will have to GO TO MY BLOG . SEE LINK BELOW TO GET THE FULL PDF FROM THE BLOG FILE.
Just for info, there is a files section on the forum where you can add files available for everyone to download.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #54

Are you still having problems with your genset or did you get it fixed.
autobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #55

WOW THE REPLYS YOU ARE GETTING ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE.WHEN AN ONAN GEN SET STARTS AND DIES WHEN START SWITCH IS RELEASED USUALLY THAT MEANS THE GENERATOR IS NOT PRODUCING ELECTRICITY. IT Has nothing to do with low oil pressure or altitude.You should be able to find trouble shooting guide online
REESE18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Just for info, there is a files section on the forum where you can add files available for everyone to download.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php
When I go to www.irv2.com/forums --- there is no header listed as downloads. I have never seen it and can not find it except via that link you listed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220225_143322.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	357587  

Tags
onan