Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #1

Our lovely large Solarcool tinted windows....

We had trouble with birds flying into the big windows. A few birds died. So we had placed some static cling film decals on the large windows - one each. This seemed to prevent the problem.

Nothing in the documentation on the cling film indicated that there would be problem with window coatings.

After a year, the film decals started looking a bit ratty. Unfortunately we now see that they have lifted off some of the window tint coating.

Ouch! Some windows have a few small spots with missing coating. A couple have a larger area that lifted off.

I sure can't seem to find any information about Solarcool windows for RVs on line.

Is it possible to repair spots in the coating?Anyone had to replace a Solarcool window pane? Any idea of what we might be in for?

It's something we can "live" with. But it's one of those cosmetic things that might cause a problem with resale, in which case we might as well go ahead and do the repairs and enjoy them ourselves!!!

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #2

Our lovely large Solarcool tinted windows....

We had trouble with birds flying into the big windows. A few birds died. So we had placed some static cling film decals on the large windows - one each. This seemed to prevent the problem.

Nothing in the documentation on the cling film indicated that there would be problem with window coatings.

After a year, the film decals started looking a bit ratty. Unfortunately we now see that they have lifted off some of the window tint coating.

Ouch! Some windows have a few small spots with missing coating. A couple have a larger area that lifted off.

I sure can't seem to find any information about Solarcool windows for RVs on line.

Is it possible to repair spots in the coating?Anyone had to replace a Solarcool window pane? Any idea of what we might be in for?

It's something we can "live" with. But it's one of those cosmetic things that might cause a problem with resale, in which case we might as well go ahead and do the repairs and enjoy them ourselves!!!

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Audrey
Old 05-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #3

We have one bird issue. Next to the coach a bird has taken up residence. He/she/it is either in love with the reflection, or is having a fight with that "other" bird. Seems more like the former, since its advances are not very aggressive.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure it's fighting. Some birds are very territorial, particularly during nesting season (like now), and if they see their reflection assume it's an intruder.

What kind of bird is it?

Audrey
Old 05-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #5

Small, but not enough meat on it for a good snack.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #6

A few weeks after I took delivery and much to my dismay, an rv "detailer" used an acid based spot remover on my large driver side window/slider. It ate through the glazing, leaving the window looking pretty bad.

WRV gave me the source for the window, which happened to be somewhat local (Los Angeles area) and they provided me with the slider.

While mine was free (very nice CSR), I got the impression that complete windows were not un-reasonably priced (good deal, mental footnote).

My next task was having the entire frame removed and re-installed with the new slider (no, you can't replace it without frame removal). This cost $300.

One tip was to have the coach sit out sunny-side to the window for a few hours. This made installation a lot simpler and cleaner for the shop.

I do not believe there is any other option to remedy the damaged glazing.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:20 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced a side window over our sofa on our coach last year. WRV recommended that we not replace the slider, which was the only part broken, probably because ours is a 2000. The window had to be completely replaced. $1050 . I did not do the install. It was covered under insurance and they guaranteed the work , which is sometimes better than I can do .

I think the manufacturer is Janel, in the LA area as Jim noted above.

I've seen paint discolored by those magnetic ribbons too .
Old 05-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #8

Audrey & John
Is all the coating on the inside or is there something on the outside also? Just what should we be cleaning the windows with? We coated the inside of our windows in our home with a tinted film and we only wash them with baby shampoo and water. That was the recommendation from the manufacturer.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 AM   #9

The coating I'm talking about is on the outside of the window.

Maybe people will share what they clean with. We've only used vinegar-based Windex diluted with water and a soft cloth. It seems to work pretty well.

Audrey
Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #10

@ PDI @ the factory, several of our windows had hard water spots. The detailing crew polished them out w/3M buffing compound. I cringed when they reached for it, but it worked OK, no noticable swirl marks. But I think over time you'd polish the tint right off using that as cleaner.