Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:22 AM   #1

pacbrake not working

Hi everyone, i have a 2000 alpine coach 36ft with the cummins 330. i just bought it and the previous owner said that the RV sat unused for a number of years. My question is when i flip the exhaust brake switch i don't see the light come on. i looked inside the engine compartment and the butterfly valve was stuck so i loosened it up with some light taps of the hammer and wd40 and it loosened up. Then i noticed im not getting any voltage going to the solenoid. i was able to put power to the solenoid using a jump pack and some wire i had laying around the house so i know the system works. But I'm curious as to why the light doesn't come on and why i don't feel it when going down the highway. i checked for an inline fuse and i could not locate one. i followed the wire and it looks like it goes from the switch to the front of the coach and then i cant see it anymore. can i some how test the pacbrake when the coach is stationary ?
Artemisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 04:43 AM   #2

Is this the coach that the harness was visited by mice?
Old 01-18-2022, 04:45 AM   #3

yes, i was able to splice all those wires back together and I'm fairly certain that i wired them up correctly. but now you got me thinking that there might be a wire somewhere else that's been chewed off...
Artemisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:38 AM   #4

Does the window on the Allison shift pad change from "6" to some lower gear when you turn on the exhaust brake switch? That will tell you whether to start you search before/after the Allison ECU.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #5

On my 1997 coach I found the exhaust brake wasn't working. The problem was traced to a connector that someone had forgotten to connect when the Cummins engine was built.

WD-40 is probably not the best thing to use on the exhaust brake. It is not a high temperature lubricant and undoubtedly will burn off and the remnants may cause more problems. Best to use a high temperature lube like Pacbrake Superlube or equal.

Are you sure it is a Pacbrake brand and not a Jake exhaust brake?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Are you sure it is a Pacbrake brand and not a Jake exhaust brake?

Yes, on the Cummins C engine (8.3 liter), it will be an exhaust brake.

Jakes/engine compression brakes were on the L engine (8.9 liter) as an option. And, that is the way Western RV ordered them.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #7

Jacobs makes both compression and exhaust brakes. My 97 Discovery w/ISB Cummins engine had the Jacobs exhaust brake.

https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com...exhaust-brakes
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #8

When the pack break is enabled when you're driving down the road and let off the accelerator the gear position indicator should go from 6 to 4 . You may not feel it down shift immediately until you start slowing down then you should feel the transmission downshift to slow you down.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake