Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Panasonic 37" plasma monitor availability

FYI...While the original 37" plasma monitor in earlier Alpines should have a decent lifespan, availability of a replacement with the same dimension and mounting is becoming limited, as Panasonic has discontinued such models.

From what I've found, our monitors were superceded by the TH37PH9UK, then the TH37PH10UK, both of which stopped shipping a few years ago.

I found the latter model at a pretty good price ($579 plus shipping):
Panasonic | TH-37PH10UK 37" Plasma Display | TH-37PH10UK

The newer models were upgraded with higher contrast ratios and higher definition (720P native resolution as compared to 480P in our original monitors).

The TH37PH10UK will accept an optional dual HDMI input card (#TY-FB10HMD), which I found on eBay for a very reasonable $55:
Panasonic Plasma Dual HDMI Card , TY-FB10HMD - eBay (item 110541461539 end time Jul-02-10 09:58:53 PDT)

One advantage of the dual HDMI card is simpler, much less bulky cable connection, than the orginal monitor with a single component video input.

With my original monitor, since I wanted to use optimal component video connections from both DVD and satellite receiver, I added a switchbox which required stuffing a very large bundle of cables in the limited space available.

Hooked it all up yesterday and added a BluRay player. It bolts up and works fine and has a very nice picture.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip!! I knew the TH37PH10UK was discontinued, but had not found one left in stock anywhere.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #3

I took the advice and purchased the newer model plasma and dual HDMI card. It is remarkably easy to remove the plasma and reinstall the new one with two people. Probably a 15 minute job each way. I kind of wish I had known that when I was fishing wires from the left side cabinet to the right side cabinet over the years. Much easier to work up in there with the TV out of the way.

I have a Panasonic 37" LCD TV at home that I bought with the idea that someday I might install it in the coach if the plasma ever failed. It is the same width, but a few inches taller. I know now that the mounting brackets would have had to change significantly if I ever tried to install it. (Completely different bolt pattern even though it is the same manufacturer.) It would not have been an easy change out.

Personally I like the picture quality of the plasma better than the LCD.

Thanks for the suggestion, although you may want to avoid my wife for a while.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4

Pretty happy with mine too! Installation was a breeze and hooked up a BluRay player. The 720P is noticebly better than the original 480P (480i if it wasn't re-cabled) setup. Oddly, I found that feeding it 1080i produced a smmother--less edgy & nicer picture. This seems to defy videophile practice of matching the signal to native resolution. Panasonic does has a very good reputation for signal conversion.

Sure was nice to remove all the component video & audio cabling too.

Here' the latest video upgrade for the bedroom TV:
Vizio 22" LCD LED HDTV Razor M220VA free shipping - eBay (item 260625385218 end time Jul-01-10 17:44:43 PDT)

Thought this was a pretty good price for a 22" LED/LCD 1080P.
It's 1" wider than the wood bezel, but the wood bezel has an inch of clearance from the TV cavity, so I'll route it out to fit and retain the bezel and fill the space below with another $120 Sony Bluray player from Costco. I told my wife this was necessary to address the need for an ATSC tuner; it's the government's fault...

I post this only as information and do not wish to solidify my position on your wife's fecal roster...