Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Parking break activated upon air leak

If an airbag splits causing a major air leak can the air compressor keep up with the leak or will I loose all my air causing the parking break to activate?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

When my airbag sprung a leak recently the compressor kept up with the loss. I have an hydraulic release on my parking brake so that would not have been an issue for me but losing the suspension would have been a problem. I was able to drive 100 miles to Cummins Coach Care and got the bag replaced. I think it is unlikely the bag will get a major rip unless you take a knife to it but it is more likely to get a hole that will leak air slowly. If your bags are showing wear along the top and bottom edges you may want to replace them, they are not that expensive.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenberg View Post
If an airbag splits causing a major air leak can the air compressor keep up with the leak or will I loose all my air causing the parking break to activate?
Hi Lindenberg,

Algoma told you right...I also have a 99 Alpine like Algoma's.

I do not think WRV made any models with air brakes. If this is true, your brakes are hydralic and loss of air pressure has no effect, however if you do loose all your air pressure, it will ride terrible. As Algoma said,, the bags are not that terrible expensive.

I am a retired cross country trucker. Most air bags run from $100 to $135. each. If you have one that is leaking,,,I would change all of them. They are all the same age. Miles are not a factor. I have seen them severly weather checked and still carry the load. Usually they just develop a pin hole, but they can blow all at once, but it is rare I have had air bags on trucks run well over a million miles. Nearly all the bags are made by Firestone. Some Goodyear You should have Neway suspension. Most any truck dealer should have these bags. On a truck they are easy to change, but not as easily access on a MH. Hope I have been of help..Old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

Old Trucker, just for clarification. Although the Alpine never had air brakes as such they did change from hydraulic release to air release on the parking brake around 2000.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Interesting question--think you still have air in the storage tank after dumping the bags so there must be a check valve between the tank and the bags. Also think you have about 3 or 4 times that you can release the air parking brake from the storage tank. All this suggests that your bags and your air parking brake are isolated. However, when being towed, they do disconnect the driveline--not sure if its a tranny thing or a parking brake thing?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

When the air bag deflates, the ride height valve will open to try and inflate it. If you disconnect the linkage to the valve, you can fool it into thinking that the coach is level and it will not try to supply air.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #7

Driveline disconnect is an automatic tranny thing.

Check your upcoming ACA newsletter for my thoughts on air bag PM. Nothing earth shattering, just food for thought.

Ditto on if your bags are checked/cracked- replace them all. Driving on a deflated air bag is not going to get you anywhere very fast, very far or very comfortably. Our bags have a rubber bumper inside to land on when we dump air, but its still a banging session if the air bag won't hold air. New bags should be ~$125 ea, and a crafty DIY'er w/jack stands should be able to replace his own (if you can fit under the coach). Fronts easier than rears, but both doable.

Tags
leak