Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Part Number for Meritor 4-piston Disc Brake Caliper?

We're having trouble finding the part number for the Meritor Four-piston Quadraulic Disk Brake Caliper.

We got the maintenance manual from the tech library, but it doesn't seem to list part numbers anywhere. And the Meritor catalog part number web lookup doesn't return a number.

Unfortunately, Meritor office hours closed at 4:30 p.m. EST, and we haven't been able to talk to someone to get the part number so that our service shop can order a replacement today.

Ours is leaking brake fluid, unfortunately! Looks like the fall-out from our previous brake pedal problem.

Audrey & John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #2

IIWM, I'd get a price on rebuilding the caliper also. Should be a kit available, and maybe a couple hours bench time for the rebuild.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How can one tell if one has Meritor or Bosch calipers, is it stamped on them?

and if one has Bosch, are they the same calipers indicated in teh workhorse recall??
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
How can one tell if one has Meritor or Bosch calipers, is it stamped on them?
Look through the holes in the front wheels at the caliper housing. The Meritor Four-Piston Quadraulic Caliper has "Meritor" cast in the metal.

John
Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

And yes, if Bosch they are the same as in the Workhorse recall.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #6

Meritor Four-Piston Quadraulic Disc Brake Caliper Assemblies use on the 2006 Alpine Coach Limited

60450468001 Front-Left Caliper Assy
60450469001 Front-Right Caliper Assy

These parts are identified as 70mm with a 7/16-24 inlet port. The part numbers ending in 1 like these were sold through Ford. Part numbers ending in 2 have a different lining and were sold to anyone else.

The fourth digit from the right is either an 8 or 9 indicating one side or the other. Which side a caliper assembly is used on depends on which axle it is mounted on. For the rear axle I don't know which side each of these assemblies are on.

There is a paper tag glued to the edge of the caliper making it difficult to read with the wheel mounted. Meritor's Maintenance Manual 1, Preventive Maintenance and Lubrication shows an example of what the tag looks like on page 121.

We could only read the last four digits on the front-left and three digits on the front-right caliper tags; the tags on both front calipers were damaged. With these fragments and some other information Meritor decided on the part numbers listed above.

John
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey & John View Post
Meritor Four-Piston Quadraulic Disc Brake Caliper Assemblies use on the 2006 Alpine Coach Limited

These parts are identified as 70mm with a 7/16-24 inlet port. The part numbers ending in 1 like these were sold through Ford. Part numbers ending in 2 have a different lining and were sold to anyone else.
It looks like Western RV must have bought the brakes through a Ford dealer. Anyone have any idea who it was?

Audrey
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #8

Try Mark Harrah, 509-731-7147, former tech service for WRV and current part time tech service for Alpine Coach Association.

If you can also, please find out from him where they purchased the brake pivot tube that inspired this thread. I'm trying to locate a replacement for an experiment.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #9

Getting this part has been a bear. Meritor will not sell it directly to our service facility (MHC Kenworth in Little Rock, AR which is an authorized Meritor service facility) because this part is made exclusively for Ford.

Meritor is sending the part to a Ford place in Memphis, which is then sending it to our service facility, so it's taking an extra day to get the part. We still don't know the $$$.

We went through h3ll just getting the part number. It's on a bar-coded tag on the brake and it took a while to find it. Unfortunately John tried to pull the tag off of our "good" wheel and ended up destroying part of it, although we were able to read the last 4 numbers, and beforehand he took a photo that lets us see just a little more. We could only read the last 3 numbers on the bad brake.

The lesson on this was that they should have taken the wheel off, and read all tags, and if the tags were unreadable, take the opposite wheel off and get those. You really can't find or read these tags with flashlight or camera.

And the part numbers should have been listed on the chassis data sheet since there were two different brake options, and brakes aren't listed as part of the Meritor axle assembly.

But we have reviewed the part numbers with Meritor and the other specs for the part make sense as John listed above.

Audrey
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Myth:

You ought to have Meritors since your coach was built after mine and it has Meritors. (Unless, of course WRV ran out of the good ones and had some old ones laying about.)
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Myth:

You ought to have Meritors since your coach was built after mine and it has Meritors. (Unless, of course WRV ran out of the good ones and had some old ones laying about.)
So right! That they used "old" parts is not unlikely though, as we have seen with the "copper brake line" fiasco. Although it seems that these types of issues happened later as the company began to get in to financial difficulty.

While I am still quite pleased with my Alpine, I suffer under no "illusions" that these surfacing issues are not potentially applicable to me....I thouroughly investigate each Alpine "discovery"
  1. Copper Brake Lines (no)
  2. Bosch Calipers (?)
  3. Thin Steering Bracket (no)
  4. Reversed water heater (no)
  5. Aluminum Radiator (no)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Myth:

I can relate. I was searching out each little problem until I realized that few apply. Members are also getting better at narrowing down the year(s) of the defect, so as not to start a panic. Newbies have occasionally gone ballistic, only to learn the problem did not affect them. Part of the learning curve. Some of the OLD posts are fun!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #13

We got the part Thursday, and our brake caliper replacement was successful. Yay! We've driven 600+ miles since and things look fine.

Meritor part # 60450468001 was correct for our Front-Left Caliper Assy

The part was made exclusively for Ford, so that meant our service facility had to order it from Meritor through a Ford distributor/dealer. For future reference - perhaps finding a Ford Workhorse chassis service facility would have streamlined this process, then again, it might not have.

In order to get the part number for your brake caliper, you probably have to remove the wheel to find the bar coded tag that gives the part number above. You can also read the number off the opposite wheel as well, but it will be the corresponding number as these brakes are mirror images of each other.

Audrey
Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #14

Couldn't resist crawling around under the coach today after some Cummins "campaign" work @ Cummins West in West Sacramento, CA.

Meritor Four-Piston Quadraulic Disc Brake Caliper Assemblies use on the 2008 Alpine Coach SE

Same as those Audrey noted for the 2006. My paper tags were still readable when I finally got close enough. I think I'll have the rears within a few days when I change out the bleed screws for a test set of Speed Bleeders.