Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Passenger Slide Won't Budge

Having a wonderful time in Arizona until the HWH slides started going wacky. First a leaky pressure switch that couldn't be replaced (lack of parts). That kept any slides from expanding/retracting until an RV tech added about 3 quarts of Dextron. Then everything seemed to work fine (slides, jacks) for 4 days, despite the leaky switch.

Then we get to Mesa Verde and I level the coach and extend the passenger slide and driver's slide easily. As I try to extend the Bedroom slide, however, only 1 side goes out and the other stays stuck, leaving me with a bedroom slide that is deployed 5 inches on 1 end and flush to the coach on the other.

Now the fun begins. Mobile RV tech arrives and releases the valve pressure so we are able to manually push in the bedroom slide. Before he leaves the site, I tell him to check the hydraulic fluid level and check the operation of the other two slides (that are already extended). Once again the fluid level is way down and it takes about 3 quarts to fill it up. In trying to bleed out the air, I run the drivers slide a couple times but it is very slow. Then I try to retract the passenger slide. It moves about 2 inches and then nothing.

So now I have the bedroom slide and the driver's slide retracted fully but the passenger slide is stuck out. I know the drivers slide has a winch to manually retract but the passenger slide apparently does not.

So, how does one get the passengers slide back in manually?? Releasing the pressure and pushing it in is what the manual seems to call for but this is the slide that needs to lift about 2 inches before it retracts.

Has anyone successfully doe a manual retract of the passenger slide?

The RV tech who has been troubleshooting the problem is coming back in the morning after he talks to HWH. We were sort of expecting a winch but, alas, there is not one for this slide.

Ideas? We are supposed to be leaving tomorrow (but not without getting the slide retracted!)

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Do a search for retraction rods. There are a couple of threads that explain what's needed to retract the passenger slide. There are some special threaded rods that are required.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMunsil View Post
Do a search for retraction rods. There are a couple of threads that explain what's needed to retract the passenger slide. There are some special threaded rods that are required.
I saved some of the above thread for future reference. My coach does not have the holes in the floor in which to insert the bolts to raise the slide for manual retraction with the big 3/4" threaded rods. We got stuck in beautiful El Paso with a HWH problem and slides out.
Manual Slide Retraction

Here is our understanding. The two long threaded bolts (approx. 3 - 4 ft. long are for retracting the dinette slide and go into holes in the little cupboards on the bottom of each end of the slide inside the motor home. You will need two wrenches and two people to work them. But first of all, you need to lift the dinette slide up about an inch. There are supposed to be two holes (one under each end of the slide) to insert two short bolts (approx. 6") vertically and then a wrench is used to turn them to lift the slide. We were unable to find those holes but were assured they were there somewhere. (NOT ON MY COACH!)There is a possibility that they were never cut out and are covered by something. Also, the bolts were not included with the longer bolt kits so we don't know what they really looked like. (WRV DID NOT GIVE ME BOLTS EITHER. 5/8" I THINK)

The detailed procedures to manually retract the slide are in the HWH 2000 series operating procedure (Apex) PAGE 10 & 11 and maybe elsewhere.

HWH Service Manuals

To the group brain trust: Has anybody actually done this before?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
I saved some of the above thread for future reference. My coach does not have the holes in the floor in which to insert the bolts to raise the slide for manual retraction with the big 3/4" threaded rods. We got stuck in beautiful El Paso with a HWH problem and slides out.
Manual Slide Retraction

Here is our understanding. The two long threaded bolts (approx. 3 - 4 ft. long are for retracting the dinette slide and go into holes in the little cupboards on the bottom of each end of the slide inside the motor home. You will need two wrenches and two people to work them. But first of all, you need to lift the dinette slide up about an inch. There are supposed to be two holes (one under each end of the slide) to insert two short bolts (approx. 6") vertically and then a wrench is used to turn them to lift the slide. We were unable to find those holes but were assured they were there somewhere. (NOT ON MY COACH!)There is a possibility that they were never cut out and are covered by something. Also, the bolts were not included with the longer bolt kits so we don't know what they really looked like. (WRV DID NOT GIVE ME BOLTS EITHER. 5/8" I THINK)

The detailed procedures to manually retract the slide are in the HWH 2000 series operating procedure (Apex) PAGE 10 & 11 and maybe elsewhere.

HWH Service Manuals

Thanks for the information. On my Limited, I don't seem to have any of the above tools (long threaded rods or short bolts) nor do I have any holes in the interior cupboards for the rods or holes under the slide for the bolts. Must be different for the Limited SE.

Curious, though, if you had an incomplete kit and did not actually follow the procedure, how DID you get the dinette slide retracted??
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
Manual Slide Retraction

HWH Service Manuals

"upon further review" I do have some holes in the little cupboards which could be what you are talking about. But, like you, I haven't found any holes under the slide where the other bolts would be applied to lift the unit. Also, haven't found the mysterious retraction rods. Assuming they were shipped with my unit, where might I find them?

THanks again.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Curious, though, if you had an incomplete kit and did not actually follow the procedure, how DID you get the dinette slide retracted??
Having no access holes in the floor, I didn't have any way of pulling in the slide and had to wait for overnight parts from HWH. Also, WRV did not make any provisions for a winch to pull in the big very heavy 14' galley slide manually. I suspect it would take 10 man and a jackass to push that thing in.

Regarding your other question: "Also, haven't found the mysterious retraction rods. Assuming they were shipped with my unit, where might I find them?"
I found the two threaded rods in the basement when we picked up the coach and wondered at the time what they were for. Still there never used.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

We did not get a set of rods either . Can you describe yours so I can get a set to hang around in the basement "just in case". Maybe a picture would help.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
Threaded Rods

I found my rods inside the box around the fresh water tank drain. From the passenger side, look into the first bay and you should see a box in the middle front of the bay. A peak inside, or maybe a long arm reach inside, should come up with the long rods. I have never seen the mentioned 6 inch bolts needed to raise the slide room.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Udate. We did get the dinette slide in after a couple hours of failed efforts. Here is what finally worked (without access to the so-called emergency retraction rods). First, we placed a picnic table under the slide and used some wheel leveling blocks under 2 bottle jacks to raise the height of the slide so that it would clear the floor. Then, we found a couple pre-existing holes in the floor (not threaded or anything that looked like they would work with the infamous 6 inch bolts). We threaded some heavy duty nylon rope into the 2 holes, making a knot to create a loop. Then we took a ratchet-type hand winch to hook to the knotted rope on the inside floor and attached the other end to the seatbelt under the couch. Then, while actuating the slide switch to "retract" we simulaneously ratcheted the slide in. The hydraulic pump really didn't do anything except allow the ratchet winch to do its job without "fighting" the hydraulics. Each ratchet of the winch moved the slide in about 2 inches so once we got set up as described, it took only a few minutes to get the slide in.

I was a little leery of the mobile RV tech when he got out a crow bar and suggested he would use that to lift the slide while it was being retracted. That's when I suggest using the bottle jacks instead. No damage incurred to the coach via the above method.

Later discovered that one of the hoses above the radiator had broken -- which probably caused all the problems experienced. So, we are now on our way home, without use of any slides, and will probably get set up with either Cummins Power Center in KC or HWA in Moscow Iowa to have the entire HWH system fly specked for leaks, repaired and a complete fluid change.

Amazing how much smaller the coach is without the use of slides.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
"upon further review" I do have some holes in the little cupboards which could be what you are talking about. But, like you, I haven't found any holes under the slide where the other bolts would be applied to lift the unit. Also, haven't found the mysterious retraction rods. Assuming they were shipped with my unit, where might I find them?

THanks again.
We had to order the bolts from HWH. Two different parts: the two long ones and the two short ones.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Like it is said " where there's a will there's a way". You did a great job coming up with a way to get the slide in. The leak in the bedroom slide probably didn't allow the system to build enough pressure to move the other slides. If you remove the bedroom slide lines at the manifold and put caps there, the jacks and other slides should work fine until you get somewhere to get it fixed.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Dave and Jaime;882013]Udate. So, we are now on our way home, without use of any slides, and will probably get set up with either Cummins Power Center in KC or HWA in Moscow Iowa to have the entire HWH system fly specked for leaks, repaired and a complete fluid change. QUOTE]

Go to HWH in Moscow Iowa. They have the smarts, the experience and THE PARTS, including the threaded rods and bolts you need. I bet they can have you fixed & headed home in a day. Great folks to deal with and I dare say will be cheaper than having it done at Cummins. Been there twice.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveCA View Post
Basil,

We did not get a set of rods either . Can you describe yours so I can get a set to hang around in the basement "just in case". Maybe a picture would help.
Here is the picture. They are 40" long 3/4" diameter threaded rods with a nut welded on one end. Coarse threads. I count 7 per inch but not sure I know how that should be measured. HWH would be your best source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	11330  
Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
[QUOTE=Basil Shannon;882212]
Quote:
Udate. So, we are now on our way home, without use of any slides, and will probably get set up with either Cummins Power Center in KC or HWA in Moscow Iowa to have the entire HWH system fly specked for leaks, repaired and a complete fluid change. QUOTE]

Go to HWH in Moscow Iowa. They have the smarts, the experience and THE PARTS, including the threaded rods and bolts you need. I bet they can have you fixed & headed home in a day. Great folks to deal with and I dare say will be cheaper than having it done at Cummins. Been there twice.

That was my thought, too, although the DW was pushing for Cummins because it was closer. Me, I'd rather take the 6 hour trip to Moscow and know that when I leave there it will be fixed correctly, once and for all. I have had good success with the Cummins Care Center in KC, though, and while their hourly price may be higher, by the time you figure the extra fuel to go roundtrip to Moscow (my estimate about $400), it might be a wash in the cost department. I'll show DW your post to convince her that a trip to the Quad Cities area makes sense.

Tags
slide