Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Planning to purchase 2002 Alpine 40 FDTS

I am planning to purchase a 2002 Alpine 40fdts with 50,000 miles. Are there any issues with this year or model you can help me with. I am driving 1100 miles to look at it and hopefully purchase it. What in particular should i inspect other than obvious condition of interior and exterior? It is listed as having a 375HP. Alpines 2002 brochure only lists 350hp or 400hp options??. What do you feel will need to be replaced on this 13 year old coach other than tires and batteries? Hoses? air Bags? shocks?, heater hoses? refrigerator?

It has a residential refrigerator option-are these an issue?

Do these coaches ride and handle well?
The cargo capacity is only 3032 pounds. Is this enough?
i don't want to make a poor decision buy purchasing the motor home.
I really would appreciate any help from someone that has experience with this model Alpine. Thanks Lgunnarson
LGUNNARSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

The engine will be an ISC or ISL. You should see this on the front of the engine. Someone on this forum reported that they had an ISL but it was 380hp not 400. The only way to know is get the serial number of the engine and contact Cummins who will tell you exactly what it is. The serial number should be on any service receipt the owner has. In any case it doesn't really matter as any of these engines will give good service.
I will be shocked if the coach has 13 year old tires, but if they are 5 years or more from DOM I would be prepared for new ones. Also budget everything else you listed except for the refrigerator.
Is 3000 lbs too small? Only you can judge that.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ask about how the coach has been used. Lived in Full Time or just a few weeks per year? How stored, covered storage or not? This should give you ideas as to what to look for in addition to age/mileage. Coach lived in FT in cold and/or wet conditions will have differet issues than a coach used a few weeks per year stored outdoors in a hot dry environment. Ideal is used a few weeks per year, stored in a heated dry facility.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You should look for many of the things as you would for with any vehicle 12 years old, dry hoses, belts, etc . I have the residential refer in our 2005. The original inverter was a modified sine wave, lead to problems with the refer control board, WRV had a modification that fixed it (see thread on this forum).

You also should ask what has been replaced, inverter, AC, refer, etc. You can also look at the coach VIN, in the stickies at the beginning of this forum is a register of all VINs and the owners that have identified themselves. This forum is also a great source of help.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase