Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 09:20 PM   #1

Possible new owner

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 WRV 40 MDTS with the ISL 400 Cummins. 54k miles and appears to be in excellent condition. What should I be looking for and would this model be considered good for full timing across the country for DW and I? We spent 6 months traveling across the country in our 5th wheel and truck but decided to continue we want a DP so we can tow something small and economical. DW does not enjoy shopping in a dually manual transmission F350 4x4 truck. I agree.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 06:12 AM   #2

I've been an alpine owner for 5 years. My 2001 alpine has been a good coach. I've been especially impressed with the quality of the interior furnishing. Underneath the coach, the parts are the same across the industry. Cummins engines, HWH slides and jacks, etc. are found on most coaches of similar size. The 2 biggest differences are the hydraulic brakes and the Peak chassis. The brakes are the same as found on thousands of school busses and medium duty trucks. They work great as long as the vehicle is driven regularly. The problem is most RVs are not driven regularly. In the RV scenario, the brake fluid become contaminated leading to corrosion and ultimately resulting in sticking brakes. Many members here successfully avoid brake problems by changing brake fluid every 2 years. Some people have written that Western RV went broke because they decided to build their own chassis. True or not, the one they built is very good. The Peak chassis is a strong point (pun?) for the coach. Regarding the exterior of the coach, it is all about how it's been cared for. The beltline (floor level) needs to be sealed. A close inspection of the roof is critical when buying any RV. The window glass is double pane and tends to cloud up after a few years. Alpine Coaches came with good quality appliances. All need to be checked for function. The weak point of the Alpine Coach (IMHO) is the electrics/electronics. Most of the electrical functions in the 2003 and up coaches are controlled by black boxes made by VANSCO. The Vansco boxes give good service until they don't. The boxes are not made anymore, and it is difficult to find someone who can fix them.

Be prepared for significant expense during your first 2 years of ownership to make an old coach suitable for your use. In my case, it was brakes, TVs, a dash gauge, and a couple of tires. Many people want to remodel the inside too. Spending 15%-25% of purchase cost is not uncommon.

Good luck with your purchase.

P.S. - the search function on this forum does not work well. You can use google with search terms that include "Alpine Coach" and find most of the information you need.

ex: https://www.bing.com/search?q=alpine...ANNTA1&PC=NMTS
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:37 AM   #3

Pay close attention to the bay ceilings, along the outside edge where the bay door hinges are. The belt line trim is prone to leak, and will rot the bay ceiling and coach floor if not caught in time. Take something sharp like a nail, ice pick, or screw driver and probe the outer edge of bay ceilings, and above the wet bay.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:33 AM   #4

Appreciate the feedback about what to look for during an inspection. Being a retired Industrial Control Electrician having a EE degree I can appreciate everything about the "Vansco boxes" input. As with many great electrical devices, many are no longer made or supported but with that comes something new that can be adapted. Hope this is true regarding the black boxes by Vansco.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #5

Inspected MH today. DW loved it, especially all the storage. I was a little surprised there was no trans temp gauge for the Allison. Not impressed with having to put the generator slide out to fuel up although I can see the security of it. Tires had been replaced 10 years ago and have about 3k miles on them. Motor home use once or twice a year for a trip across the mountains to Spokane area from Bellingham, about 700 miles round trip. Generator has 275 hours on it but runs well. He said he always used shore power 99% of the time. Interior was very clean and in great condition. Roof looked clean and like new. Front body parts has some scratches and chips buy otherwise looked good. Original brakes, shocks, suspension parts and all exterior lighting. Engine started right up and sounded good.

Putting together a list of "Musts":
1. 6 new tires - $6000 mounted and balanced
2. Full engine service - unknown costs
A. Replace serpentine and A/C belt.
3. Full transmission service - unknown costs
B. Install trans temp gauge.
4. Chassis inspection?
5. Install air pressure gauge if possible.
6. 7.5KW generator service. Unknown costs

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 03-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointVenture View Post
4. Chassis inspection?

Anyone have thoughts?
When I bought my coach, it had been used similarly to what you described. I did a full service to have a good baseline.

Oil and oil filter change, new air filter, engine belt change, hydraulic fluid and filter change, fuel filter change, brake inspection and fluid change, radiator flush with new coolant and filter, new transmission fluid and filters, grease chassis, inspect and water the batteries. You will probably need new shocks too. Koni is the most popular choice here. The make a large front shock that works very well on RVs.

I treated the generator the same way. New anti-freeze, new oil and filter, new air filter, new fuel filter, blow soot out of exhaust system.

The air pressure gauge might be important if you have air brakes. I haven't felt a need for a gauge for my coach where the air is just for the suspension system.

The RPM gauge on my coach was broken. The company that made it is out of business. They can be repaired but you have to find the right company (west coast) and it is expensive. Instead of spending the money on a gauge, I bought a Scan Gauge D. The Scan Gauge D plugs into the engine diagnostic port and will show any function read by the engine compute. I normally set mine to read RPM, Voltage, Water Temp, and Trans Temp. Occasionally for entertainment when driving, I scroll through the other functions and view horsepower, intake air temp, mile-per-gallon, etc.

I've used some big truck small business places to do my chassis work. They work faster and cheaper than the RV shops around here.

It sounds like a lot and it is. I'm coming up on 5 years with my coach and have a list of "capital" improvement I want to do. Camping is not cheaper.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Oil and oil filter change, new air filter, engine belt change, hydraulic fluid and filter change, fuel filter change, brake inspection and fluid change, radiator flush with new coolant and filter, new transmission fluid and filters, grease chassis, inspect and water the batteries. You will probably need new shocks too. Koni is the most popular choice here. The make a large front shock that works very well on RVs.

I treated the generator the same way. New anti-freeze, new oil and filter, new air filter, new fuel filter, blow soot out of exhaust system.

The air pressure gauge might be important if you have air brakes. I haven't felt a need for a gauge for my coach where the air is just for the suspension system.

I've used some big truck small business places to do my chassis work. They work faster and cheaper than the RV shops around here.

It sounds like a lot and it is. I'm coming up on 5 years with my coach and have a list of "capital" improvement I want to do. Camping is not cheaper.
When you did your baseline service on engine and transmission what was the costs back then? Same question regarding the generator too?

I was told by the owner that the suspension and parking brake was air operated and thought it would be a benefit to know the air pressure and whether or not the compressor was operating correctly.

Great idea about "big truck small business places" as we only have one RV shop and they are expensive and 2-3 months out for an appointment.

Thanks for the feedback, will be adding more to my "must be done lists" Probably have to hock my 1st born grandchild soon...................
Old 03-20-2023, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
When you did your baseline service on engine and transmission what was the costs back then? Same question regarding the generator too?

I was told by the owner that the suspension and parking brake was air operated and thought it would be a benefit to know the air pressure and whether or not the compressor was operating correctly.

Great idea about "big truck small business places" as we only have one RV shop and they are expensive and 2-3 months out for an appointment.

Thanks for the feedback, will be adding more to my "must be done lists" Probably have to hock my 1st born grandchild soon...................

Cost? That’s easy. Everything is a thousand dollars. . My first service included the oil change, radiator flush and filter, new transmission fluid and filter, and chassis grease. It was ~$1000. Since then, I’ve been doing the annuals myself.

The parking brake is air operated in that air holds it off. No air and brake is on. Generally, the air is dumped out of the suspension when you park at night. When you crank up in the morning to leave, the system fills back up. In other words, you get a daily read on operation. Another thing is when the system reaches max pressure (125 pounds?), you can hear the pressure relief valve working.

I’ve read here that some owners use the oil change services found at many truck stops. Many Love’s Truck Stops have a business named Speedco for that.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:

4. Chassis inspection?

Anyone have thoughts?
I had 6 new Toyo H rated 177’s installed this time last year, and had the chassis lubed for $3150.

If you do your own oil/filters change, you’re looking at a few hundred bucks. Same for trans. Belts maybe a hundred.

I’ve never missed a trans temp gauge or an air gauge.

I’d do a brake fluid flush.

Buy a test kit and check your antifreeze.

If you decide to replace them, new air bags will run ya $900, and good shocks will run ya $800. My coach rode pretty dang good, but new Koni’s made a difference.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
I had 6 new Toyo H rated 177’s installed this time last year, and had the chassis lubed for $3150.

If you do your own oil/filters change, you’re looking at a few hundred bucks. Same for trans. Belts maybe a hundred.

I’ve never missed a trans temp gauge or an air gauge.

I’d do a brake fluid flush.

Buy a test kit and check your antifreeze.

If you decide to replace them, new air bags will run ya $900, and good shocks will run ya $800. My coach rode pretty dang good, but new Koni’s made a difference.
Thank you for the feedback, helps in estimating actual costs and direction I'll go when I decide to buy it or not.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #11

I'm asking WRV Alpine owners if the 2006 Alpine Coach Apex 40 FDQS is a true WRV built unit and if it has the Vansco control system that has been problems in the past?
Old 03-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I'm asking WRV Alpine owners if the 2006 Alpine Coach Apex 40 FDQS is a true WRV built unit and if it has the Vansco control system that has been problems in the past?
Short answer, yes and yes.
The Apex model had all the bells and whistles, but I’m not 100% sure of the exact differences…
There are a few Apex owners on this forum, hopefully they’ll chime in. I do remember many of the Apex house systems are, for lack of a better word, complicated.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
The "Holy Grail" of Alpines is considered by many to be the 2003 MY units. This was the year the 400iSL came into production and was installed in almost 90% of the units delivered that year.

This was also the last year of production before the Vansco multiplex units were installed. There was apparently one 2003 that had the Vansco but for all intents of purpose, the 2003 units did not have the Vanscos.

A 34 FDDS or 36FDDS/MDDS would be considered among the best finds. Nothing wrong with the '40s but the 36 Alpine had a similar wheelbase (and resultant good ride) to most other manufacturers' 40' coaches.

The storage in Alpines is legendary and the reason they have such a great reputation for handling is based on almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution

Additionally, all Alpines have at least 100GA of Fresh Water, 100GA of Gray, and either 68 or 78GA of black water...... which makes them fantastic candidates for extended dry camping excursions.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post

The storage in Alpines is legendary and the reason they have such a great reputation for handling is based on almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution

Additionally, all Alpines have at least 100GA of Fresh Water, 100GA of Gray, and either 68 or 78GA of black water...... which makes them fantastic candidates for extended dry camping excursions.
My coach when loaded out comes very close to the 31,000 pound max weight. That is 20,000 pounds on the back, 12,000 pounds on the front. It still handles great.

Tags
new owner