Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Power cord access hole, plug.

The power cord access has the typical screw in travel cover to keep the critters and weather out when not in use. I was wondering what is everyone using to plug the hole when your camping or stored and have the power cord deployed. Iíve always stuffed a rag around the cord but got to thinking someone surely invented a horseshoe foam plug or something by now.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #2

Power cord access hole, plug.

I use a power cord hatch/cover that has a little sliding door & put Velcro around it for added protection, cut the bottom part off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3575.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	354458
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:57 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I use a large pool noodle. Cut a 1Ē slice off the end and trimmed the outer edge to fit the hole. Obviously had to cut an slit to insert the cable but it goes in place quite easily and seals good enough to keep critters out.
bcbowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #4

I donít use this. Have seen ads.
http://rvcritterguard.com/

I read awhile ago someone plumbed the tanks drain to the cover inside wet bay. Put sewer hose adapter on bottom and connects sewer hose there. Never need to open that screw cover
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
I donít use this. Have seen ads.

http://rvcritterguard.com/

I read awhile ago someone plumbed the tanks drain to the cover inside wet bay. Put sewer hose adapter on bottom and connects sewer hose there. Never need to open that screw cover
I was looking at those also. I have a Nurf ball stuffed in mine currently which really isn't going to stop anything.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:22 AM   #6

I just made one from 1" rigid foam. 3" Diameter with slot for cord.
Alpine03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #7

A previous owner made this. Itís upside down in the photo. Probably a bit more work to cut the circles. It could likely be done by cutting a square that would fit in the round opening with another larger square for the top piece. Drill the appropriate size hole(s) and cut it in half, then add a hinge. Iím going to make a second one for a propane line that passes through a basement opening on the patio side for the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A970599-D5F4-47D4-A20E-0A8133FCA7F9.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	355023  
Old 01-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
A previous owner made this. Itís upside down in the photo. Probably a bit more work to cut the circles. It could likely be done by cutting a square that would fit in the round opening with another larger square for the top piece. Drill the appropriate size hole(s) and cut it in half, then add a hinge. Iím going to make a second one for a propane line that passes through a basement opening on the patio side for the grill.
Is it rubber or a form of plastic? Appears to of been made with a CNC machine and an interesting idea, might have to draft one out.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post
Is it rubber or a form of plastic? Appears to of been made with a CNC machine and an interesting idea, might have to draft one out.
Itís 2 round pieces of plywood glued and nailed together.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Now that has some gears turning in my head.
A couple of appropriate sized hole saws and this could be made in just a few minutes. Simple, I like it.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #11

While the round looks great, square pieces would work just fine.

Top one larger than the opening, bottom one smaller.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
I use a power cord hatch/cover that has a little sliding door & put Velcro around it for added protection, cut the bottom part off.Attachment 354458
That is the one that came on my coach. I took a jigsaw and cut it out.

That was back in 2004 and I haven't put a cover over it yet...no animal nor dirt problems so far.

Sure made it easier to get the power cord in and out!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
While the round looks great, square pieces would work just fine.

Top one larger than the opening, bottom one smaller.
I agree. A couple of straight cuts and a paddle bit would do the trick. Iíve found that the way the cable hangs can prevent the round plug from sitting flat. I usually set something with a bit of weight on top, which also blocks the smaller extension cord hole. A square would likely sit more securely.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #14

Another option (one I used) to hold it securely in place irrespective of cord/cable angle is to drill a hole in the pieces. Then have an aluminum bar (any box store) that spans the opening. Use a bolt and wing nut to pull the wood down/bar up. Bomb proof.

Tags
access, power