Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Pricing 06 Alpine Apex 40fdqs

Any insight on this? Same model sold in March on PPL for 117k.

Anything to watch for on this model. I know this one needs rear tires.
morninghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

I am sure others will "ring in" on the Apex model in 06 but in general, the Apex was an attempt by WRV to produce a "higher-end" coach from its std models. Lots more electronics/controls to deal with. Most complaints seem to revolve around keeping all the electronic "gadgetry" integrated and working. Assuming some of these concerns are true, suspect these coaches will become harder and harder to keep "on-line" as they age.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Many of the Apex complaints were birth defects related to either the early version sensors by Silverleaf (I think they are on v3.0 or 4.0 on most sensors by now vs. the 1.0 used on Apexes initially; Silverleaf has been great about supporting their systems sold w/faulty sensors), or WRV having cross wired some of the OEM interfacing w/Silverleaf. For Apexer's who have worked the bugs out, most are very happy w/the Apex features. E.g. comes with a 2-pump HWH system so there is an Aux pump built in (same design used on emergency fire apparatus), SmartBeds, RO system, hose reel, cord reel, elec flush valves, some kind of power assist sewer hose deployment, and more.

The one thing that never did get straightened out, I believe, is the pad-switch design for the smart beds mounted on the coach exterior. A few never had problems w/the pad switches, some had problems repeatedly even after new, supposedly bullet-proof upgraded switches were supplied. Eventually savvy owner's abandoned the exterior pad switch, patched & painted the holes, and live exclusively on the parallel rocker switches that come on all SE's and Apexes, and on Silverleaf (Apex has I believe 3 ways to open a SmartBed- Silverleaf, pad switches if they work, and rocker switches).

Aside from the Apex upgrades, the coach is an Alpine. 06 will need steering gear bracket upgrade if not done, needs support on cunifer brake line over rear axle checked & augmented if req'd, came w/the OEM weak radiator (check for upgraded support brackets w/large rubber grommets to see radiator got changed out for the stronger unit).
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

I have an 07 Apex, which I am happy with. I agree with the above comments. It took me a good year to work out the bugs. I think if you are going to have an Apex, it is a big plus if you are handy and can work on it yourself. This forum is a big help and Silverleaf was great helping me get it upgraded. Most everything could be changed to manual if need be. I did talk to company that supplied the exterior pad switches and was told they were never intended to be an exterior switch. They are just a stick on switch, and they are no longer made. I ran a small bead of of silicone around the exterior of the switch and so far it works ok. If it were me and if it checks out, I wouldn't about buying it.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
$117,000
I had wondered what that coach finally sold for. Since some of these coaches originally listed for $400,000 & up, this was a BARGAIN! Way down the depreciation curve. If you find one you consider buying, post the VIN and we may be able to point you to the previous owner. Wouldn't that be good information to have.

Year to work out the bugs?
I think this is typical of any new coach. Hopefully, some of the infancy bugs have been fixed on a used coach. Otherwise, there is wealth of experience available on this site and, believe me, you will get help!

Smart-Bed touch pads
Apex coaches have two ways to operate the Smart-Beds: large rocker switches in the hydraulic (or entry on '07 models?)and service bays and touch pads on the exterior which did not hold up. Several of us have replaced the touch pads with more bullet proof small marine rocker switches, not too bad of a DIY project if you are handy.

The Apex is a high tech version of the SE model and fully loaded with options. The complexity may not be for everybody but, having an engineering background, I love it.

Above all, NOTHING DRIVES LIKE AN ALPINE!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
As an owner of a 2006 Apex, I agree with the year to fix the bug statements. I have had mine since April '06, we are full timers, and haven't had anything but maintenance or wear item problems since bug time.During that time we have also been able to upgrade many items, shades, steering bracket and now the Master Cylinder. So the $117,000 price seems low to me.

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote