Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Angry Propane generator 6300 watts

HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS GEN SET IT'S HARD TO START, AFTER IT STARTS IT JUST STAYS AT SLOW IDEL, PUT IN NEW PROPANE PUT IN NEW PLUGSS. DOES NOT START FROM INSIDE, TRYING TO FIND IF THE BOARD IS BAD, TRIED TO START WITH CARB CLEANER DID'NT SEAM TO CHANGE ANY THING. ALSO TRYIND TO CHECK THE REGULATOR, AND FUEL VALVE, HAS POWER TO VALVE WHEN PUSHING STARTER AT THE GEN SET.

DAVID TAYLOR
2000 ALPINE LIMITED 38.5 FT.
THANKS
david taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry for your problem. I do not read ALL CAPS post.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Hey David

I didn't know that Apines came with propane gen sets...
The only problem I've seen with Propane generators is the pressure valve that regulates the propane goes bad and it needs a new diaphram.
Check it and see what happens?
Good luck Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Ken
How do you know he has a problem if you do not read all caps post?
This site is for helpful information.

Thanks Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Propane generator

THANKS GATORV FOR THE INFO I WILL GIVE THIS A TRY.

DAVID TAYLOR
2000 ALPINE LIMITED 38.5

david taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
David, first it's bad manners to use all caps when writing posts or e-mails on the internet. It's called shouting, people don't like to be shouted at.

The diaphragm in the regulator for the generator is bad most likely, change the whole regulator, there are numbers stamped on it, and it can be replaced easily. Please make sure you are qualified to work on propane systems, a leak can kill you, so if you are not sure what to do, please get a certified RV tech to fix it for you. Propane is very clean fuel and does not gum up anything, so you don't need to mess with the fuel system, and the carburetors are made in such a way as not to be user friendly for repair, if you have taken it apart, it now might need to be replaced as a unit. It's an Onan genset, they may have the new regulator, if not any good RV parts place can order a new one. Non-use is the worst thing for generators, since the contacts corrode and then they can fail causing an expensive rebuild. Onan can most likely diagnose it for you and fix it cheaper than you throwing parts at it. If the regulator is bad (springs inside get weak and the rubber parts degrade over time), and you change it and no improvement, take it in to them for diagnostics and then you can decide if you want to have it fixed.

FWIW - The propane line would be directly from the tank to the regulator for the genset, it may be a rubber flexible line, but my guess is black metal pipe up to the point where the regulator is installed, depending on where the regulator is, it should be a huge thing in size, possibly at least 5" across, (the genset one is large, because a lot of gas needs to flow to the genset when it’s running) so it's not something you could miss. It also may be in the genset compartment with a flexible hose from it to the genset itself, so you can move the genset slide out/in as needed. Please post some pictures of the way it's assembled, so we can add that information to our knowledge base. If you cannot figure out how to post the pictures to this forum, your grandkids will be able to help you with that.

You will have another regulator off the propane tank, this is a much smaller one, and it supplies propane for the rest of the coach devices, furnace, water heater, stove and fridge. Have this one checked properly by a qualified RV tech, as it could also be failing due to age for the same reasons as above. Again, if you are qualified, change this one as well, and for the same reasons as the Genset one, age.

Your coach is now approaching 13 (maybe even 14) years old, since WRV sometimes started building the next model year 12 months before introduction. If your fridge is still operating and it's the OEM one, that is remarkable, the water heater tank is also most likely in need of replacement since corrosion can eat away on them if the anode is not changed or checked annually. On our Alpenlite 5th wheel, I swapped the anode annually with a spare one, and once either one showed degredation over 50%, I replaced it with a new one. I drained the water heater in the fall, and left the anode out of the hole as part of my winterization process, and so the tank would not freeze. The anode device assumes its suburban manufacturer. Attwood water heaters in that year would not have an anode, as the tanks were supposed to be lined and no corrosion would occur.

And like previous poster, I was not aware Alpines came with LP Generators, so I checked my 2000 brochure, and sure enough, there it is, with the 7.0 KW diesel genset as an option. So I learned something, this is the first post about a propane genset I have seen on this forum for an alpine, so it’s new to me as well.

David, also please post where you purchased, when you purchased and also the last five digets of the S/N so our database can be updated, and welcome to the forum.

Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the all caps, I read it but it took me a while, really hard to read.

If an ONAN them you might check their site.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

Most places that sell propane tanks or do maintenance on them (e.g. replace an old tank valve w/an OPD type valve) can check the regulator delivery for # of inches of water column pressure being delivered, and in the 6300's manual it should state the pressure delivery req'mt. I just did a utility application for a large gen set for a communication site that wanted 11-14" pressure (about 0.5psi), I'm guessing the 6300 is looking for that neighborhood, but the OEM spec should be used.

Tags
generator, propane