Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Proportioning valve for Brakemaster

I want to set up my 2000 Alpine 36FDDS to use my Brakemaster system on my toad. Can anybody tell me what proportioning valve I need and where to get it? Also, any info on how and where to tap into the air and brake lines would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
Oregon Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:36 AM   #2

….not sure if I can help but perhaps can give you a direction on this issue....because of our hydraulic-based braking system, air activated aux brakes for our toads is not as popular as other coaches....suspect Brakemaster would be the best source for the valve....as for location, both hydraulic brake lines and air pressure lines are in proximity in the frame area in front of the rear axle differential....suspect this is the likely location for most installs.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Scout
I already have the Brakemaster system installed on my toad from when I had another MH I have seen old posts on this site from folks who had installed a proportioning valve in order to use the Brakemaster system.
I called Roadmaster but they wanted me to buy a kit that included a compressor and tank for big bucks. I was hoping to find out what valve to get and where I could get it and tie into my existing air supply. This has apparently worked for other members.
Jerry
Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
I did the same and checked out doing this also. I had the air brake pedal lever and found Brakemaster had the valve and it wasn't cheap then to tap into the hydraulic system and bring air back, wasn't a good idea. For the expense of doing this I sold my pedal and purchased a brake buddy that was self contained with its own air. You set the sensity of it when you stop it pushes in on brake pedal. I found several in the classified section and for 300 hundred my problem went away. I set it on the floor of jeep hook brake pedal and plug in.

Larry and Tammy

2003 38FD Alpine

2007 Jeep wrangler
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Thanks Larry.
I recently purchased a used Evenbrake to do the same thing. It was advertised as new but when I got it home I discovered it didn't have the ICX. Modules so I returned it. I've had a brakebuddy in the past and would do that again if I could find one at a reasonable price even though I'm not wild about them.

Jerry
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Jerry here's one , not sure if sold yet http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...ational&cat=23

Larry and Tammy
2003 38FD Alpine
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Thanks Larry
Item has been sold

Jerry
Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

I would still like to know what people use for a proportioning valve to convert hydraulic brake pressure to air.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

….Brakemaster sounds like the logical source---if they won't sell you just the value, you may be in some difficulty finding a generic valve?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Thanks Scout,
I just ordered the proportioning valve from Roadmaster (they call it a regulator valve) $216 pn900001 it's backordered doo it will take two weeks. I hope it's easier to put in than it was to find it. I talked to them a couple weeks ago and they wanted to sell me a kit that included a compressor, tank and wiring harness for around $600

Thanks again

Jerry

Tags
brake, valve