Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Is there a different brand of speedometer replacement that will fit the same hole with the same plugins?

That VMSpc looks really neat. I'm definitely adding it to my list of future upgrades.

Thanks for the great info, as always, Dave!

-Tommy

I am not aware of a replacement for the Actia.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #30

The battery charging issue should be resolved prior to completing negotiations and taking possession. Your inspector seems to be competent so I would imagine the position of the breakers on the inverter were checked. Let's eliminate that as the solution.

The list of potential faulty devices include:
The solenoid in the battery bay. I believe the part is in the $150 range. Installed probably around $300.

A bad connection somewhere. Labor to diagnose, $100 and up.

The inverter. Around $2000 installed, depending on model.

Vansco module. Just under $2000 including a waiting period for delivery of several weeks or more. Easy self install.

Since the house batteries have only been getting charged via the alternator it would be important to know how frequently the coach has been driven since this problem has existed. Also has it been driven for a sufficient amount of time for both the chassis and house batteries to be fully charged. The alternator charges the chassis batteries first, then the house batteries. It could take several hours of driving to charge both. I mention this because it is important for the longevity of the batteries to keep them properly charged. If their condition has deteriorated it may be necessary to replace them. Figure $1000 for 6 lead acid golf cart batteries. More for AGM.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend downloading the owners manual from the ACA tech library to become more familiar with the features of the coach. It includes schematics for electrical, plumbing, furnace, etc. It would also be wise to request that the seller provide a thorough walkthrough for you. This could easily take several hours so plan your travels accordingly.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
The battery charging issue should be resolved prior to completing negotiations and taking possession. Your inspector seems to be competent so I would imagine the position of the breakers on the inverter were checked. Let's eliminate that as the solution.

The list of potential faulty devices include:
The solenoid in the battery bay. I believe the part is in the $150 range. Installed probably around $300.

A bad connection somewhere. Labor to diagnose, $100 and up.

The inverter. Around $2000 installed, depending on model.

Vansco module. Just under $2000 including a waiting period for delivery of several weeks or more. Easy self install.

Since the house batteries have only been getting charged via the alternator it would be important to know how frequently the coach has been driven since this problem has existed. Also has it been driven for a sufficient amount of time for both the chassis and house batteries to be fully charged. The alternator charges the chassis batteries first, then the house batteries. It could take several hours of driving to charge both. I mention this because it is important for the longevity of the batteries to keep them properly charged. If their condition has deteriorated it may be necessary to replace them. Figure $1000 for 6 lead acid golf cart batteries. More for AGM.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend downloading the owners manual from the ACA tech library to become more familiar with the features of the coach. It includes schematics for electrical, plumbing, furnace, etc. It would also be wise to request that the seller provide a thorough walkthrough for you. This could easily take several hours so plan your travels accordingly.
After all the responses here, I went out to the inspector with another inquiry into his findings. So the coach batteries are charging just fine on shore power/generator power. He stated the chassis batteries are the ones not getting charge from the converter/charger on shore power or generator.

I know this changes things up in regard to troubleshooting. What would be the cause for the chassis batteries not getting charge, but the coach batteries are?

Thanks for the advice and continued help with everything!
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #32

Two easy checks: 1- confirm inverter/charger in enabled--check menu on control panel; and 2--turn chassis switch off and on [10 sec delay] to recycle Vansco charge control logic [ie light #19 on Vansco module]......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Two easy checks: 1- confirm inverter/charger in enabled--check menu on control panel; and 2--turn chassis switch off and on [10 sec delay] to recycle Vansco charge control logic [ie light #19 on Vansco module]......
Old Scout,

I am guessing #2 would be the one to follow, as the coach batteries are being charged? Are there two separate options to enable (1 for coach and 1 for chassis batteries)?

Thanks for the quick feedback!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Is this forum great or what? Fun to see how helpful everyone is as we welcome another coach to the Alpine family.
Seems we've decided to keep ours in storage another year and use it next winter. After speaking with a great guy in Texas who reached out to us, decided we're not ready to part with our coach.
Cheers to all of you here who are so involved in making life easier for others.
pamelashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelashere View Post
Is this forum great or what? Fun to see how helpful everyone is as we welcome another coach to the Alpine family.
Seems we've decided to keep ours in storage another year and use it next winter. After speaking with a great guy in Texas who reached out to us, decided we're not ready to part with our coach.
Cheers to all of you here who are so involved in making life easier for others.
Pamela, I couldn't agree more! This forum alone made our decision that "we can do this!" This forum is part of we, FYI
Old 03-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #36

...so the house bats charge either way, ie, while driving or while on generator/ shore power?. The chassis bats only charge while driving, but not on generator/shore power? Again could be that the Vansco charging logic has momentary lost its way. Turning off the chassis which to rest the Vansco could clear the issue as it controls charging for both banks and is apparently working in one direction [suggests solenoid is still working]. If Vansco reset doesn't work--just to get you home, you can use jumper cables to connect the positive posts for the house and chassis bats over night. Don't need to connect negative posts as bat bank should have common grounds.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Isn't there a solenoid in the back of the battery Bay that determines after the house batteries are charged that it switches over to the chassis?
Or vice versa?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #38

...yes, there is a solenoid but its dumb--has to be triggered by the charging logic in the Vansco system.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you, that makes sense!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #40

So I just went through this.
I’m my case the Vansco would call for the chassis batteries to be charge and engage the solenoid turning on light #19 on the Vansco. All is well right...not so fast. It would pass voltage but no amperage. It wouldn’t even turn on a test light! The solenoid a very common problem with several different manufacturers.
It was a very easy diy job, just take care not to short out the battery cables with your wrench.
The best price I found was from MulCal and a couple of day to get.
Here is a link to where I got mine and a spare.
Trombetta 114-1211-020 DC Contactor
Hope this helps.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Great to hear, yes the trombetta, that's what I remember hearing could be an issue.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
After all the responses here, I went out to the inspector with another inquiry into his findings. So the coach batteries are charging just fine on shore power/generator power. He stated the chassis batteries are the ones not getting charge from the converter/charger on shore power or generator.

I know this changes things up in regard to troubleshooting. What would be the cause for the chassis batteries not getting charge, but the coach batteries are?

Thanks for the advice and continued help with everything!
Remember, on shore/generator power the coach/house batteries will be charged first. Once fully charged the relay switches over to charge the chassis batteries. Did the inspector allow time for the house batteries to be charged so chassis battery charging could begin?

It is possible that everything is functioning properly if given enough time to do so.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote