Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Questions on Installing a New Splendide Washer/Dryer

We are planning on installing a new Splendide Washer/Dryer combo in our 36 mid door next week and replacing the 3 drawer storage unit under the coat closet. As I'm sure is true with other Alpines, ours is pre-plumbed and wired for it. I have a few questions for those who installed them after they bought the coach:

1)Was the pre-marked opening to cut the vent hold through the sidewall accurate? Didn't hit any metal frame or other problems?

2)Did you install a drain pan and screw it to the floor as the kit shows, to also help keep the washer/dryer from moving during travel? Were there any problems doing that?

3)If you did install a drain plan did you route a drain through the floor, for accidental spills or leaks? If so, were there any problems going down through the floor, around the holding tanks, and through the bottom floor? Or did you plumb the drain hose into the grey water tank?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldForester View Post
2)Did you install a drain pan and screw it to the floor as the kit shows, to also help keep the washer/dryer from moving during travel? Were there any problems doing that?
We've been running a Splendid washer/dryer for 10 years without a drain pan. There are 2 clips that come with the WD that screw down in the front of the unit to the base or floor. Biggest problem is making a clean hole through the side of the coach and getting it right the first time. Good luck with your project.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #3

I plan to replace some pads on our living room slide at Quartzite with the help and direction of others. Maybe you could consider putting the washer/dryer in the toad and several of us could assist you with the project. Others may want to take photos and develop a page for the tech section. I have seen some of the tool boxes in the Alpines and know there is not a shortage of available tools.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We recently added one to our Newmar. Wish we done it sooner.

Be extra cautious on the vent hole. Mine just barely missed the outside awning support arm. I doubt the same person who put the decal on the inside of the coach that said "Drill vent hole here" was the same person who installed the awning!!!!!

As far as a drain hole we did not install one, however I have drilled through the floor for other events. Just be sure you have a clean shot on both sides. A pilot hole first would be my choice.

The machines do come with trim kits with hold down brackets. Be sure to use them. They seem sufficient.

If you travel in cold weather be sure you have the winterizing instruction down BEFORE cold weather.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

OldForester,
I had Campingworld install mine. I removed the 4 drawers and installed them in the closet. We needed the drawer space more than the lost closet space. There was no decal on the wall indicating where to drill the vent hole, I did not install the pan nor did CW tie it down. They claimed they never tie them down. It has been installed now for 3 years and at least 25,000 miles and no problems. They did install the vent hole about 6 inches higher than the vent which is not good but has worked out OK.

If I was doing it again I would install the pan and drain out the bottom just for peace of mind. I would also tie it down. I probably will redo it at some point.The wife is thinking I need to rearrange the drawers 2 high instead of 4 high and use the full width of the bottom of the closet and regain the hanger area above.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't add a w/d combo but I replaced mine with a new unit. To make it lighter to move, I took the top off and removed the top counter weight(hunk of concrete).Also the drain needs a standpipe just like your house.I didn't clamp mine down but I wedged it down from the top. Make sure you have a stiff floor,because these things are one hell of a trampoline. Best price on one delivered is DiscountRV in Ill. under $1000. the new ones are wd1000XC
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Ak,
The Alpines came ready for the w/d including hot/cold water, stand pipe and 110 volt AC.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

One thing I do know is that you want the vent line to be as short as possible IIRC they should be no longer than 18 inches. The longer the vent hose the harder it has to push the air out.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have the ventless, seems to work just fine. This is first out of 3 motor homes, I have owned with washer dryer. Best ever add on.
You will enjoy it, Good move.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'd just slap one in then. Watch the dimensions on the vent. I replaced a wd1000 with a wd1000xc and the vent is off by about an 1-1/2". It comes out the left top rear looking at it from the front. You can get the specs online and then decide what to do. Good luck. Just remember that thing weighs a ton. There is a counter weight on top and another bolted to the front. I removed both to get the old one out of rv but took only top one off on the new one.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Also, i wouldn't start a load right before you retire at night unless you want to get rocked to sleep for about 2 hours.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Do I understand correctly, are you using the machine without the counterweights???? Top, front or both?
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
a k

Newmar Owners Club
No , I just took the two bolts out and removed the concrete block so I didn't have the weight going thru the door. Then I put them back in and closed the top. Have you picked one of them up? I'm and old man.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #14

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to install it this coming Monday. After talking via phone to some of you I also learned the new Splendide 2100 XC (Xtra Capacity) has the dryer vent coming out a few inches different than the earlier model. This means some careful exploration with a small drill bit from inside the coach to make sure if I route the vent through the wall as straight as possible, I'll be away from the spot marked by WRV, and I don't want to hit any of the structural members with the new vent.

I haven't found anybody that installed the drain pan, but I'm going to install it anyway for peace of mind and also because it's a strong piece of 1/4" plastic, screwed to the floor, and a very tight fit around the washer so that it helps hold the unit in place. Splendide tech recommended it for that reason as much as the drain function. Looks pretty simple; key is finding a spot to go through the floor and down past the holding tanks and out the bottom of the coach for the drain.

I'll post with any issues we run into installing this new version of the unit in a 36'.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote