Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #211

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarynsDream View Post
I designed and built the light actual light buckets. the Body shop cut and installe them with me and they did the finish fiberglass. The coach is 12" taller on the perimeter because of the roof mount Girard Awnings I installed still not as tall as the AC's onthe roof but it does eliminate the view of anything on the roof. I designe and fabricated the front cap structure nd the back cap "air fin" The body shop did the finish fiberglass insuring a factory look. I have full front to back awning that extend over 11' on the passenger side and a 23' Awning that acts as a slide topper or afull 11' awning when dry camping on the driver side. Here are a couple more shots and a before pic.

Wow, sure doesn’t look like any ‘99 I have ever seen, great work guys!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #212

Body mods

Funny thing the body shop really had no idea what to do. They were really great at putting coaches back to the way they were. I would show them a pic of what I wanted but they had a hard time seeing the vision. Understandably they did want want the liability of installing the roof mount Girard awnings and questioned whether it would work. I bought a walabot x-ray stud finder that attached to my phone and located all of the roof ribs and wires to make surewe conneted to them with the mounts. I had a couple guys from my construction crew help me mount them at the body shop. The shop was very cool about letting me make the changes they were'nt wwanting to do. I ended up spending 2 months coming up with cost effective solutions that did not include creating a mold for the top front cap and the back rear cap. For the front I ended up buying a used semi truck roof fairing for $200 cut a section out to match the angle i needed then cut it down the middle to make it wider. I created the aluminum mounting structure and scoop. Once I set that up they draped the fiberglass on the scoop and then once we mounted it the body shop did a great job doing the finish fiber glass creating a factory look like it was built that way. The back part was a mystery until I decided to take the back wing that was on the coach cut it in half widen it to the width of the coach splicing in pieces of fiberglass from the fairing and extending it down and on the sides. the Body shop did some finish fiber glass and body work on that and it matched the coach like it was made for it. I spent more time thinking about and reserching how to do everything we did to this coach than the actual time it took to do it. It was over a year. Knowing what i know now I can do the whole thing in 2 1/2 months. Amazingly enough the exterior changes were minor compared to what we did on the interior. It literally has 3 original pieces left on the inside of the coach.
We are calling it the 2019 Alpine 40 FDSU
The U is for UPDATE.
We had a campground ask us what year our coach was and I told them it was the new 2019. Except for the BMW headlights that are halo lights now there is nothing on this coach thats says 1999.
CarynsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #213

Quote:
Funny thing the body shop really had no idea what to do. They were really great at putting coaches back to the way they were. I would show them a pic of what I wanted but they had a hard time seeing the vision. Understandably they did want want the liability of installing the roof mount Girard awnings and questioned whether it would work.
We had a campground ask us what year our coach was and I told them it was the new 2019. Except for the BMW headlights that are halo lights now there is nothing on this coach thats says 1999.

Which model awning did you use, ones I see are max 20' long ?
Very ingenious and great looking results. Nice job!
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #214

Girard Awnings.

I put a 21' in the front and 18' on the back of the Passenger side and a 23' and a blank on the driver's side. Currently I am working on a way to put an 16' projection screen in the blank to pull out and do movie nights when dry camping. I know it seems redundant when I have a 50" big screen in the front bay on the passenger side but the grand kids love when we do outdoor movie night.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #215

Alpine Owners Club
WOW...just WOW.

Bruce and Caryn.....that is amazing !!!

Very beautiful work. Thanks for posting those pictures.

great work.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #216

Bruce,

Any way you would be willing to post some more pics? Specifically what the roof looks like now and how the awning looks from the top. I would also love to see the interior if nothing is stock anymore. I love getting ideas from all of you guys!

Also, did you do any type of coating on the front end and cap? Our front end looks hideous and I'm trying to debate what to do. I've seen one guy that did that front generator slide in a spray on bed liner, color match (close). He claims getting bugs off is incredibly easy. I've got chips on the top of the cap as well. I also read that the new 3M diamond coat is guaranteed not to do what the old diamond coat on mine has done.

The coach looks amazing!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #217

Is that a 14,000lb triple axle stacker behind a 1999 Alpine? Yikes!

When is the 500hp and Allison 4000 going in?

Enjoyed seeing you at the house last May.

Bob & Cindy
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #218

It was Great seeing you all.

Yes that is the Stacker. Really pulls nice . Because of the tripple axel very little tounge weight. I am Installing a 20 K hitch for good measure. The 350 Cummins pulls the grapevine at 40 too 45MPH and just use the exhaust brake on the downhill rarely touch the brakes but when I do I have 3 Axel's of brakes plus the brakes on the coach. It was great seeing you. Apparently my wife wants me to justify the 500 HP Cummins before I spend another 15k. Probably a next year project.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #219

Guess I won't have any issues going from a 3,000lb Scion to a 5,500lb Grand Cherokee.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #220

Here you go hambone

We just got back from a camping trip with 33 of my family. I willl be cleaning the coach this week so pics next week. As far as front cap coatings during the months the Alpine spent in the body shop I was was able to see a lot of crappy looking 3M shields being removed and then replaced with the "better" 3M shield. I am not a fan. I also saw a couple with the spray on armor shield. It looked like it might last longer and probably would not discolor but because of the different finish it looked like a car that had a fender replaced and the color did not quite match. They did spray undercoting/bedliner type product on the airdam portion of the front cap of my the alpine (SEE PIC) that was tinted with the paint we used on the coach which was a dead match. Still not sure what to go about protecting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air dam.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	212563   Click image for larger version

Name:	AWNING PASSENGER.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	212564  

Name:	AWNINING OUT.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	212565   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	212566  

Name:	RV TOP 1.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	212567   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV TOP.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	212568  

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #221

Quote:
We just got back from a camping trip with 33 of my family. I willl be cleaning the coach this week so pics next week. As far as front cap coatings during the months the Alpine spent in the body shop I was was able to see a lot of crappy looking 3M shields being removed and then replaced with the "better" 3M shield. I am not a fan. I also saw a couple with the spray on armor shield. It looked like it might last longer and probably would not discolor but because of the different finish it looked like a car that had a fender replaced and the color did not quite match. They did spray undercoting/bedliner type product on the airdam portion of the front cap of my the alpine (SEE PIC) that was tinted with the paint we used on the coach which was a dead match. Still not sure what to go about protecting it.
Bruce,

I really appreciate the feedback. I am looking hard to have the front cap repainted in the next 6 to 12 months, but I am at a loss as to what to do. I actually like the original paint on ours to be honest. It is a gold/tan color and hides being dirty well. On the car, I normally just focus on an extra coat or two of wax on the front end, but I really worry if that is enough on the RV and if I'll be repainting the front cap again in 3 years.

Can't wait to see pictures of the interior, as my wife is chomping at the bit for ideas to renovate in there.

Thanks again! The coach looks AWESOME!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #222

Our coach was originally than and Burgandy & white also.

If our I were paint matching to the original paint I would probably do the Armour Shield. the texture/sheen diference would be less noticable with your paint scheme.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #223

Some of my upgrades.

Got tired of the faded, ugly plastic trim in the front dashboard area. I tried vinyl wrapping but discovered I was all thumbs. So I turned to Krylon plastic paint. It is a brown, rough-textured spray on that turned out pretty darn good, and is thick enough to cover any flaws. For example, there was a split in the trim on the dash and now you can’t see it. The roughest part was finding and reaching the numerous nuts that were used to fasten the trim. Good thing I have small hands!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7F5F9EBD-16DD-4BAF-AA50-CF4336E5BFDF.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	223697   Click image for larger version

Name:	19EAE225-C675-45F5-9817-458DCD0E0B98.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	223698  

Name:	1BAA70A0-C9D4-42FD-A0D8-D742C5EB405A.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	223699  
Kiddikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #224

More Improvements

Took out the old green faded sofa and replaced it with 2 swivel recliners. Also painted the entire interior. Removed the faded valances and replaced them with day/night shades. What a difference! Added the cheap lick and stick tiles to the kitchen and bath areas, and someday hope I can replace with real deal tile because even these cheapies make my coach look so much newer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2FCB6264-4FCF-4607-8AFB-398E8395CC45.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	223702   Click image for larger version

Name:	0FA0E1DB-A832-49FF-AE35-5C63C252FDD8.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	223703  

Name:	4815F558-A028-4FD0-B99E-970C78E12009.jpg