RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Quick, where's the air pressure gauge?

People in the campsite next to me are trying to leave and know NOTHING about the coach. I have been helping them but they don't know what an air pressure gauge is for or why they need it. I can't find an air pressure gauge anywhere.
Can someone tell me where it is on a 2006 Alpine? They don't know what model. I'm trying to stop them from leaving until we know they have air pressure.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200216_160600351.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	275334
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,783
They can't release the parking brake unless they have adaquet air pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They can't release the parking brake unless they have adaquet air pressure.
I told her if she was able to release the parking brake she would have at least 30 psi but not whether she had the 90 psi+ needed to safely operate the coach on icy roads for a 50 mile trip.
I probably shouldn't have told her how to navigate the patchy ice and hilly terrain to get out of the campground.
She just left.
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
People in the campsite next to me are trying to leave and know NOTHING about the coach. I have been helping them but they don't know what an air pressure gauge is for or why they need it. I can't find an air pressure gauge anywhere.
Attachment 275334
If they don't know what it's for, their right!!!!

They don't need it !!!!!
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I told her if she was able to release the parking brake she would have at least 30 psi but not whether she had the 90 psi+ needed to safely operate the coach on icy roads for a 50 mile trip.
I probably shouldn't have told her how to navigate the patchy ice and hilly terrain to get out of the campground.
She just left.
The park brake knob won't hold in until at least 60 PSI. Under that, you would need to hold it in.

Besides there should be a low air buzzer driving them crazy, under 60 to 75 PSI.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,168
Sounds like "the horse has left the barn" on this one but first thing is, Alpines [except a few customs builds and the limited production Avalanche] have hydraulic service brakes with hydraulic engine boost, so none of the "normal" air brake conversation applies...the parking brake [yellow handle] is air pressure released and spring activated....so only the parking brake and the suspension use compressed air...so no air pressure gauges on an Alpine [I think?], except for those mentioned above....though you will get a [rear/front] low pressure warning light [maybe a buzzer???] until air bags have inflated....
__________________
Old Scout
2003 Alpine 40' MDTS
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,860
The Actia, speedo gauge will display “Low air pressure” until pressure builds up.

They have an Apex as displayed on the screen.
__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Thanks to you who helped me learn something new today. I feel much better knowing that a woman who knows nothing about the 35,000# car crusher she is driving on public roads "probably" has brakes.
I spent more than an hour explaining to her and her husband that they had to clear the ice and snow off the slide toppers before stowing them. Loaned them my Little Giant ladder and my snow broom. I also had to tell them they needed to retract the levellers and OTA antenna and how to do it.
Then I had to explain it was a bad idea to drive off with the rear air bags deflated even though the front air bags were inflated. The rear bags finally inflated and the right front jack finally retracted.
I have driven many different air brake equipped vehicles in the last 22 years but I have never encountered a 40 foot ~35,000# GVWR vehicle with hydraulic brakes. The yellow diamond-shaped parking brake knob and air bag suspension led me to assume the coach had air brakes. Neither of them knew what kind of brakes it had.
The APEX(ACTIA?) display was loaded with all kinds of menu items including an Air Dump selectable line item but not a mention of anything else relating to air pressure or brakes. BTW, Are APEX and ACTIA the same system or different options?
Anyway, thanks to you all for educating me.
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Thanks to you who helped me learn something new today. I feel much better knowing that a woman who knows nothing about the 35,000# car crusher she is driving on public roads "probably" has brakes.
I spent more than an hour explaining to her and her husband that they had to clear the ice and snow off the slide toppers before stowing them. Loaned them my Little Giant ladder and my snow broom. I also had to tell them they needed to retract the levellers and OTA antenna and how to do it.
Then I had to explain it was a bad idea to drive off with the rear air bags deflated even though the front air bags were inflated. The rear bags finally inflated and the right front jack finally retracted.
I have driven many different air brake equipped vehicles in the last 22 years but I have never encountered a 40 foot ~35,000# GVWR vehicle with hydraulic brakes. The yellow diamond-shaped parking brake knob and air bag suspension led me to assume the coach had air brakes. Neither of them knew what kind of brakes it had.
The APEX(ACTIA?) display was loaded with all kinds of menu items including an Air Dump selectable line item but not a mention of anything else relating to air pressure or brakes. BTW, Are APEX and ACTIA the same system or different options?
Anyway, thanks to you all for educating me.
We’re all here to learn, and Alpine is a different sort of animal. You did the right thing, trying to help such novices, and used your common sense and experience in giving your advice. The hydraulic brakes are rare on class A motorhomes, outside of Alpine, so your lack of familiarity is to be expected.

Regarding your question, Actia is the instrument system for the dash, and Apex is the model name of the Alpine coach.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
We’re all here to learn, and Alpine is a different sort of animal. You did the right thing, trying to help such novices, and used your common sense and experience in giving your advice. The hydraulic brakes are rare on class A motorhomes, outside of Alpine, so your lack of familiarity is to be expected.

Regarding your question, Actia is the instrument system for the dash, and Apex is the model name of the Alpine coach.
Thank you
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Thank you
Thank you for helping out a fellow Alpine owner. The screen that displayed APEX, and provided the other data that you mentioned, is the Silverleaf Vehicle Monitoring System.

Here’s to hoping your new friends will join the forum and the Alpine Coach Association to learn about their coach.
__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Apparently the younger woman and her recently deceased father were the only family members with any experience driving the coach. Her husband had no experience and her newly widowed mother had never learned to drive it. The mother is going to sell the coach.
It appeared to be well cared for and I hope the father took good care of it. She owes about $90K on it. It has ~78K miles on it. It may show up for sale soon. She lives in Monument, CO. I wasn't interested in it and don't have any contact information.
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #13
Member
 
Taxguy's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 50
Actia Speedo Gauge

The Actia gauge provides much more info than most owners realize. But it is hard to access if you do not have the manual. It will provide digital: air pressure, coolant temp, boost pr, barometer, trans temp, rpm, speed, and much more. You just have to find your way in, by pressing the "m" and "t" buttons in the right order.
__________________
Tom & Marilyn Anteau
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
FL420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxguy View Post
The Actia gauge provides much more info than most owners realize. But it is hard to access if you do not have the manual. It will provide digital: air pressure, coolant temp, boost pr, barometer, trans temp, rpm, speed, and much more. You just have to find your way in, by pressing the "m" and "t" buttons in the right order.
She and then I did press all the buttons and went through all the menus we could access. I saw beaucoup information that I would consider "nice to have" but very little "must have" information. Didn't see air pressure info in any of the menus.
The coach obviously has an air compressor if it can air up the suspension and I assumed it had air brakes since it had a compressor and a Parking Brake knob that looks exactly like the one required by federal law for air brake equipped vehicles. Also, there are very good reasons that almost all vehicles of that size and weight have air brakes instead of hydraulic brakes.
I have a special interest, education and experience in human factors engineering as it relates to the man-machine interface and unfortunately many designs of that era were not really ready for prime time.
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air pressure / air gauge behavior -- is this normal? tnedator Newmar Owner's Forum 4 06-23-2019 02:25 PM
Oil Pressure Gauge, Turbo Boost Gauge not working xbigblue Monaco Owner's Forum 9 11-29-2017 12:14 PM
X Chocks Vs. Quick Products JQ-HHD1006 Quick-Locking Wheel Chock rideandslide Travel Trailer Discussion 8 03-31-2016 11:23 PM
Air pressure gauge sensor for air brakes trophemus National RV Owner's Forum 1 02-14-2015 03:22 PM
Low fuel pressure indicator, fuel pressure gauge or both? Zoafan Cummins Engines 4 02-13-2013 07:03 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.