RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Quick, where's the air pressure gauge?

People in the campsite next to me are trying to leave and know NOTHING about the coach. I have been helping them but they don't know what an air pressure gauge is for or why they need it. I can't find an air pressure gauge anywhere.
Can someone tell me where it is on a 2006 Alpine? They don't know what model. I'm trying to stop them from leaving until we know they have air pressure.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200216_160600351.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	275334
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

They can't release the parking brake unless they have adaquet air pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They can't release the parking brake unless they have adaquet air pressure.
I told her if she was able to release the parking brake she would have at least 30 psi but not whether she had the 90 psi+ needed to safely operate the coach on icy roads for a 50 mile trip.
I probably shouldn't have told her how to navigate the patchy ice and hilly terrain to get out of the campground.
She just left.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
People in the campsite next to me are trying to leave and know NOTHING about the coach. I have been helping them but they don't know what an air pressure gauge is for or why they need it. I can't find an air pressure gauge anywhere.
Attachment 275334
If they don't know what it's for, their right!!!!

They don't need it !!!!!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
I told her if she was able to release the parking brake she would have at least 30 psi but not whether she had the 90 psi+ needed to safely operate the coach on icy roads for a 50 mile trip.
I probably shouldn't have told her how to navigate the patchy ice and hilly terrain to get out of the campground.
She just left.
The park brake knob won't hold in until at least 60 PSI. Under that, you would need to hold it in.

Besides there should be a low air buzzer driving them crazy, under 60 to 75 PSI.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #6

Sounds like "the horse has left the barn" on this one but first thing is, Alpines [except a few customs builds and the limited production Avalanche] have hydraulic service brakes with hydraulic engine boost, so none of the "normal" air brake conversation applies...the parking brake [yellow handle] is air pressure released and spring activated....so only the parking brake and the suspension use compressed air...so no air pressure gauges on an Alpine [I think?], except for those mentioned above....though you will get a [rear/front] low pressure warning light [maybe a buzzer???] until air bags have inflated....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #7

The Actia, speedo gauge will display “Low air pressure” until pressure builds up.

They have an Apex as displayed on the screen.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Thanks to you who helped me learn something new today. I feel much better knowing that a woman who knows nothing about the 35,000# car crusher she is driving on public roads "probably" has brakes.
I spent more than an hour explaining to her and her husband that they had to clear the ice and snow off the slide toppers before stowing them. Loaned them my Little Giant ladder and my snow broom. I also had to tell them they needed to retract the levellers and OTA antenna and how to do it.
Then I had to explain it was a bad idea to drive off with the rear air bags deflated even though the front air bags were inflated. The rear bags finally inflated and the right front jack finally retracted.
I have driven many different air brake equipped vehicles in the last 22 years but I have never encountered a 40 foot ~35,000# GVWR vehicle with hydraulic brakes. The yellow diamond-shaped parking brake knob and air bag suspension led me to assume the coach had air brakes. Neither of them knew what kind of brakes it had.
The APEX(ACTIA?) display was loaded with all kinds of menu items including an Air Dump selectable line item but not a mention of anything else relating to air pressure or brakes. BTW, Are APEX and ACTIA the same system or different options?
Anyway, thanks to you all for educating me.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to you who helped me learn something new today. I feel much better knowing that a woman who knows nothing about the 35,000# car crusher she is driving on public roads "probably" has brakes.
I spent more than an hour explaining to her and her husband that they had to clear the ice and snow off the slide toppers before stowing them. Loaned them my Little Giant ladder and my snow broom. I also had to tell them they needed to retract the levellers and OTA antenna and how to do it.
Then I had to explain it was a bad idea to drive off with the rear air bags deflated even though the front air bags were inflated. The rear bags finally inflated and the right front jack finally retracted.
I have driven many different air brake equipped vehicles in the last 22 years but I have never encountered a 40 foot ~35,000# GVWR vehicle with hydraulic brakes. The yellow diamond-shaped parking brake knob and air bag suspension led me to assume the coach had air brakes. Neither of them knew what kind of brakes it had.
The APEX(ACTIA?) display was loaded with all kinds of menu items including an Air Dump selectable line item but not a mention of anything else relating to air pressure or brakes. BTW, Are APEX and ACTIA the same system or different options?
Anyway, thanks to you all for educating me.
We’re all here to learn, and Alpine is a different sort of animal. You did the right thing, trying to help such novices, and used your common sense and experience in giving your advice. The hydraulic brakes are rare on class A motorhomes, outside of Alpine, so your lack of familiarity is to be expected.

Regarding your question, Actia is the instrument system for the dash, and Apex is the model name of the Alpine coach.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
We’re all here to learn, and Alpine is a different sort of animal. You did the right thing, trying to help such novices, and used your common sense and experience in giving your advice. The hydraulic brakes are rare on class A motorhomes, outside of Alpine, so your lack of familiarity is to be expected.

Regarding your question, Actia is the instrument system for the dash, and Apex is the model name of the Alpine coach.
Thank you
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you
Thank you for helping out a fellow Alpine owner. The screen that displayed APEX, and provided the other data that you mentioned, is the Silverleaf Vehicle Monitoring System.

Here’s to hoping your new friends will join the forum and the Alpine Coach Association to learn about their coach.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #12

Apparently the younger woman and her recently deceased father were the only family members with any experience driving the coach. Her husband had no experience and her newly widowed mother had never learned to drive it. The mother is going to sell the coach.
It appeared to be well cared for and I hope the father took good care of it. She owes about $90K on it. It has ~78K miles on it. It may show up for sale soon. She lives in Monument, CO. I wasn't interested in it and don't have any contact information.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Actia Speedo Gauge

The Actia gauge provides much more info than most owners realize. But it is hard to access if you do not have the manual. It will provide digital: air pressure, coolant temp, boost pr, barometer, trans temp, rpm, speed, and much more. You just have to find your way in, by pressing the "m" and "t" buttons in the right order.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxguy View Post
The Actia gauge provides much more info than most owners realize. But it is hard to access if you do not have the manual. It will provide digital: air pressure, coolant temp, boost pr, barometer, trans temp, rpm, speed, and much more. You just have to find your way in, by pressing the "m" and "t" buttons in the right order.
She and then I did press all the buttons and went through all the menus we could access. I saw beaucoup information that I would consider "nice to have" but very little "must have" information. Didn't see air pressure info in any of the menus.
The coach obviously has an air compressor if it can air up the suspension and I assumed it had air brakes since it had a compressor and a Parking Brake knob that looks exactly like the one required by federal law for air brake equipped vehicles. Also, there are very good reasons that almost all vehicles of that size and weight have air brakes instead of hydraulic brakes.
I have a special interest, education and experience in human factors engineering as it relates to the man-machine interface and unfortunately many designs of that era were not really ready for prime time.

Tags
air