Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #15

Whether those isolation bushings are installed upside right or upside down, in my opinion they are inadequate for the weight of that radiator stack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	239622  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Dr. Dave, do you have pictures or drawings of the correct installation of the mounts? I want to make sure I get them to the RV shop. Thanks in advance.

The picture is an upper radiator mount installed upside down. Notice the thin section (it is right above the steel washer and about the same thickness as the washer) of the rubber mount is supporting the radiator mounting tab (black with gussets welded to radiator tank) and the thick section is on top.

Name:	radiator mount - old 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	239629
I don't have a good picture of the new mount but the top and bottom rubber sections are about the same thickness now. Just because your radiator may have been replaced don't assume the mounts were correct. My radiator was replaced at some point yet the rubber mounts were still wrong.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #17

Thank you all! Does anyone have the information for the CAC? I don’t think mine has any issues, but might as well have them check.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #18

CG&J does have a model for Alpine, but it’s aluminum. Not saying that’s terrible, but if Mac’s price for copper core and steel tanks isn’t much of a price difference, I would think that would be the better play. Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #19

….at least 2x on the price for the copper and steel vs the aluminum radiator Burk Morgan has/use to sell[see the cooper/steel replacement on the ACA website--$4700 vs about $1800 for Burk's] and you still have the labor for R&R....not proof positive but this is the first replacement radiator I have heard of that has failed, notwithstanding some that might have failed due to exterior corrosion or internal coolant chemical issues....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #20

I went out to CG&J's website. There aluminium radiator is $4800. Don't know what Mac's is currently asking for there's. I am on my third radiator. The previous owner put a Mac's radiator in as a replacement for the epoxied radiator. It failed after 15K miles. It failed in the lower corner where the tank meets the core. Can't say it's not a good radiator, I can say the installation was was not good as you can tell from the isolation bushings pictured earlier in the post. I did my own R&R.

I replaced it with one Burks aluminum radiators. When I bought mine he had five left. I've heard there all gone now. My Mac's radiator weighed right at 200 lbs and the RS Specialties radiator weighs 160 lbs. I kept my Mac's radiator as it is repairable.

I think it is important to pay attention to those isolation bushings. They should be sized and installed properly. The bushings require a specific size mounting hole and flange thickness. Also when Mac's installed their radiator they rigidly bolted the lower stabilizer bars to the radiator. I've added isolation bushings in that location also.

Time will tell how my setup holds up. It seems like a lot of weight to be supported by the two radiator tanks. The whole stack is close to 500 lbs. Below is a breakdown and a couple of pictures.

Macs Radiator 194lb actual
RS Radiator 160lb actual
CAC 74lb actual
Oil Cooler 33lb actual
Fan Assy 115lb actual
AC Condensor and sheet metal 20lb estimated
Coolant and oil 90lb estimated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new bushng upper 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	239646   Click image for larger version

Name:	new bushing lower.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	239647  

Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #21

rrthor, does Radiator Specialties still manufacture? Is it the same design as Burk’s?

Also, can you send me where you got your bushings and part numbers?

Did your CAC have to be replaced? Water pump?

How long have you had your current radiator? How long was the Mac’s on before it failed?

Very interested to chat more via message, email or phone of your experiences. Mine appears to be leaking bottom left (when looking at it straight on from the side of the coach), where the core meets the tanks. Seems like similar pain points.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #22

rrthor, does Radiator Specialties still manufacture? Is it the same design as Burk’s?

The radiators Burk had were RS Specialties radiators. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think you can still get them but only through there distributor Source Manufacturing out of Oregon 541-935-0308

Also, can you send me where you got your bushings and part numbers?

Can't recommend a particular bushing not knowing the dimensions of the flange on the radiator but Mission Supply out of Texas is one source.

Did your CAC have to be replaced? Water pump?

The P.O. replaced the CAC. I have no history on the water pump.

How long have you had your current radiator? How long was the Mac’s on before it failed?

Mines been in 5k miles. The Mac's failed in 15k.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #23

Anyone know the model number for the 2005 radiators. Source is telling me it’s RSXXXX, with the X’s being numbers. I’m going to look again when I get home, but I don’t recall seeing that when I was inspecting.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #24

This is what I put in my 06.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rs radiator.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	239659  
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #25

That’s the part # on the one in there. Source quoted it at $3300 and change and confirmed that it is not repairable. Does anyone know how to contact Burk’s to verify that he is totally out of stock?

Also, any help with the right bushings would be helpful. Repair shop is asking for part numbers.

Finally, the rigid pipe connected to the bottom is transferring oil, correct? I’m going to have it sandblasted and coated while out. I’m guessing powder coating would be the way to go, correct?

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #26

Burk’s number is in post #3.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Burk’s number is in post #3.

I found that shortly after my last post [emoji23]
Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #28

So feedback for anyone who might encounter this problem, here’s some more info for everyone.

Alright, called Burk’s to confirm. He is, in fact, out of replacement radiators. The only two options are Mac’s (still awaiting a quote, but I’m sure over $4K) and Source Engineering in Coburg, OR, who distributes for Radiator Specialties for an aluminum replacement at $3300 and change with a year warranty.

The correct bushings are available through Mission Sales and Supply out of TX. Select “Trelleborg Anti Vibration Mounts” under “Products” up top. Select “Part Number Search” in the top right. Look for 55/1194-45. They are $16 and change a piece and four are required for installation.

Hope this helpful for someone in the future.

Tags
radiator