Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
hax

Radiator Cap

I have coolant coming from my radiator reservoir overflow at about 180 degrees. I've checked the temp at the reservoir with my infrared thermometer and replaced the cap with a new 16psi one. Does anyone know if this is the right psi cap or have any ideas as to why I'm overflowing at such a low temp? Thanks Jim

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hax,

Check this thread out.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/what...ank-35294.html
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #3

Overflow tank

Dale, is the pictured overflow tank a kit or did you make it up yourself? What about the holder?
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Bought tank, hose and bracket while staying at camp Walmart, at their auto parts section.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #5

I did somewhat the same as Dale and have not had to add coolant since. Being the cheapskate I am and not realizing there are aftermarket overflow systems, I just used a gallon coolant container and drilled a hole in the cap and shoved the overflow hose through the cap to the bottom of the container. Velcroed the container in the compartment.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
hax

Dale, Thanks for the info, I'm on my way to camp Walmart now. I must have a tipped sight glass in that I have never seen anything but green in the window. I replaced the surge tank cap in Ennis, Mt just before I drove home to Scottsdale (took 3 or 4 days) I would have thought that if it was overfilled, it should have drained down by now. I backed out of my yard yesterday and as soon as it got up to about 175 to 180 it started to overflow again. How many lbs is your cap? I just bought another cap in case I got a bad cap.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hax,

Mine is 16 lbs vented. Like Mike and Mike in the linked thread, even though my tank looks level, I have found that there can be fluid in the window while the fluid in the tank is lower than the window.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #8

overflow tank

Dale & others,
If you have a coolant recovery tank set up, do you then fill the surge tank to the top when cold?
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
... replaced the cap with a new 16psi one. Does anyone know if this is the right psi cap ...? Thanks Jim
I was considering replacing mine as preventative maintenance. It is stamped with 14psi on the top. However, I am NOT finding 14psi in the auto parts stores only 13 & 16 psi as the closest.

So, again, what is the correct cap pressure rating?
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #10

Mine is 16psi.
The coolant peep site on mine is labeled coolant level cold. If I fill it to have coolant in the window when cold, it will push coolant out so next time cold there is no coolant in the window. However, I have discovered that starting the engine will boost the coolant tank level to show coolant in the window. So that is now my coolant check process- lift rear engine door, start engine & check coolant. No coolant in the window & I need to add some.
On my 06 I used a kitty food container w/hole in lid for an overflow, and never needed to add any; the hot engine pushed some out into the overflow (which I could check when pulling over for a rest), then sucked it back overnight. Haven't gotten to that chore yet on the 08.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #11

My cap is 14 lb. I have never had it tested but since I added the makeshift overlflow (above) I have not had to add coolant. I put coolant in to just cover the view glass when cold.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #12

My cap is 16lbs vented. I replaced the original (same 16 lbs) a year or so ago when I had it tested and it was not at 16lbs.