Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Rear Camera

Hello Again, I'm back with more questions. I have to replace my rear camera. How do I get access to the wiring that supplies power? I want to replace the original with a color wireless camera that runs either constantly or of a switch. The original has a 5 pin connector to the camera but I can't find where the wire goes out the roof to the camera. Also it's not apparent as to how the rear upper cabinets are secured. What am I missing? I can't find any documentation on the camera system. Thank you in advance You've all been helpful for this neophyte newbie
mjvalliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You can utilize the original coaxial cable to the original rear camera as a power source cable for the new wireless camera. Some creative soldering and heat shrink required. Center conductor 12vdc, outer shield wire for ground. The original camera coax and small wiring should all terminate near the fuse panel forward of the passenger footwell. Good Luck!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

[QUOTE=mjvalliere;5903992] I have to replace my rear camera. How do I get access to the wiring that supplies power? I want to replace the original with a color wireless camera that runs either constantly or of a switch.

If your 1999 is like my 1998- You can use the original wire to power the camera. Just splice the power wire to the lead on the new camera. That circuit is controlled by the ignition switch.

You can get power for the wireless monitor from the ignition switch or from a 12v source in the electrical panel below the dash in front of the passenger seat.

Or if you have a 12v receptacle in the cockpit you can and wire the camera to a 12v plug and use the receptacle.

I have done this with 2 different wireless systems. It is simple and it works.

Others will have more elegant solutions.

My camera was damaged when my spoiler left the coach a few months ago. So I will be installing another new system soon.

Let us know what wireless system you are using. Others on this forum are interested in new camera syestems.

Good luck
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Wireless Camera

Hi Gene,
I got the the LeeKooLuu-LK5 from Amazon. it had good reviews and worked great on the bench. I just need to find the power and ground from the original camera. The wiring is buried behind the cabinets in the rear. I'd prefer not to have to start ripping out cabinetry.
Thank you for your response I'll have to test the existing wire for power and ground and go from there.

[QUOTE=gmcgene;5904055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvalliere View Post
I have to replace my rear camera. How do I get access to the wiring that supplies power? I want to replace the original with a color wireless camera that runs either constantly or of a switch.

If your 1999 is like my 1998- You can use the original wire to power the camera. Just splice the power wire to the lead on the new camera. That circuit is controlled by the ignition switch.

You can get power for the wireless monitor from the ignition switch or from a 12v source in the electrical panel below the dash in front of the passenger seat.

Or if you have a 12v receptacle in the cockpit you can and wire the camera to a 12v plug and use the receptacle.

I have done this with 2 different wireless systems. It is simple and it works.

Others will have more elegant solutions.

My camera was damaged when my spoiler left the coach a few months ago. So I will be installing another new system soon.

Let us know what wireless system you are using. Others on this forum are interested in new camera syestems.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

The wiring for the camera goes into the rear cap behind spoiler. There is approx 3-4” of space between rear cap and inside wall of motorhome. Cable goes down this and should pass on driver side of engine compartment. Center above engine door may be blocked but should have a opening to look up on each side near engine door hinges. Adapters are available from existing cable to your new camera. I have used (rvs) rear view safety systems for adapters and cameras
Old 09-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Rear Camera update

Thank for the suggestions. There was a 5 pin connector coming out of the roof, I opened the the wire and found the B+ and negative wires which were all that were need for the new camera. Cut the 5 pin connector off and soldered the B+ and negative to the new connector, Installed the new camera plugged it in and a clear as day color picture. It took the better part of the day but well worth the effort. Thank you for all the responses.

Mike
36 SDS
Old 09-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #7

Do yourself a favor and just buy a good wireless system. I went the wired route and not only was it a huge undertaking, but i'm not in love with the results. Wish i had it to do all over again
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Do yourself a favor and just buy a good wireless system. I went the wired route and not only was it a huge undertaking, but I'm not in love with the results. Wish i had it to do all over again
EXACTLY what I did and now have 4 cameras as well as a 9.5" LCD monitor and it all works like a champ.....total cost ~$450
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
EXACTLY what I did and now have 4 cameras as well as a 9.5" LCD monitor and it all works like a champ.....total cost ~$450

What system did you use? I'm interested in updating/upgrading Big Blue with a multiple camera system doing double duty as security system as well.

I want to be able to interface a 2tb SSHD and playback system for up to 8 cameras. Where we have set up to summer next year and possibly beyond we get a lot of wildlife in camp. I'm not talking partying with the neighbors, I'm talking deer, squirrels, bears, skunks, chipmunks and other mountain animals. Last time up when we were packing up we were visited by a couple does with their fawns and a little spike buck that was still in velvet. I'm standing at the table packing the camp lights in a tote box with a doe standing right alongside me watching me pack them up, and I didn't think to get a single picture. And then of course, there's always having multiple angles on the highway to get all the "I can't believe" or "They're never gonna believe" moments and CYAWV issues.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:42 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
What system did you use? I'm interested in updating/upgrading Big Blue with a multiple camera system doing double duty as security system as well.

I want to be able to interface a 2tb SSHD and playback system for up to 8 cameras. Where we have set up to summer next year and possibly beyond we get a lot of wildlife in camp. I'm not talking partying with the neighbors, I'm talking deer, squirrels, bears, skunks, chipmunks and other mountain animals. Last time up when we were packing up we were visited by a couple does with their fawns and a little spike buck that was still in velvet. I'm standing at the table packing the camp lights in a tote box with a doe standing right alongside me watching me pack them up, and I didn't think to get a single picture. And then of course, there's always having multiple angles on the highway to get all the "I can't believe" or "They're never gonna believe" moments and CYAWV issues.
The system I used is no longer available on Amazon but this one should work just fine

https://www.amazon.com/ZEROXCLUB-Wir...%2C262&sr=8-18
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
What system did you use?

I used some 4 camera china thing from Amazon. It was around $400 so i figured it would be decent... and it's just "okay"

From the sounds of it, you may want to buy a security system that you can plumb into a dash screen via the hard drive.
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #12

Exclamation

Quote:
I'm interested in updating/upgrading Big Blue with a multiple camera system doing double duty as security system as well.
Having a Swann system at home, I cannot recommend the brand.

Tags
camera, rear