Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Leese Neville warranty was 1 year. If you will go to Delco Remy website ( http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/B...-Brochure.aspx) you will see that the 28SI is technologically far superior to the Leece Neville.

One thing we learned through our experience - the alternator can cause the batteries to discharge when parked! You need to check if the alernator is warm to touch hours after everything has cooled down.

We even found a significant increase in performance after we installed the DR 28SI.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Swans - Is it the same on the back, with the same connections? I believe, although I have not looked all that close, there is a sense wire to the chassis batteries and a sense wire to the coach batteries? I guess I need to figure out how to get in there and take a look.

I am going to (if necessary) do this repair on my own. I think it should not be too bad, although the coolant tank is in the way, it may have to come out or be moved out of the way.

Did not know I would be signing on as a diesel mechanic.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post

Did not know I would be signing on as a diesel mechanic.
Everybody needs a hobby!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
All - Do any of you have a picture of the back of the alternaotr unit in question. I cannot get into the compartment well enough to take pictures of the back of the unit to compair the connections. I want to see the back so I can compare the LN versus the Delco one, so I know I am getting the correct contacts on it.

The price quoted today was 330.00 for the delco one. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
All - Do any of you have a picture of the back of the alternaotr unit in question. I cannot get into the compartment well enough to take pictures of the back of the unit to compair the connections. I want to see the back so I can compare the LN versus the Delco one, so I know I am getting the correct contacts on it.

The price quoted today was 330.00 for the delco one. Thank you.
That is a good price if it is a new unit. My price quote is for that much rebuilt with core charge. They will allow some for the LN but not much.
Can you share your source? I am going to be in the Hemet area in a month for some repairs and if this is a new unit I will wait and purchase it there.
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
FleetPride - PORW 2060 NE Columbia Blvd. Portland, OR 97211503-963-4100First - That is my price since I have a RV Repair Business.

There is a 3 day lead time it's in phoenix and needs to be shipped in. No sales tax in Oregon.

The Buiness is:
Fleetpride - Portland
2060 NE Columbia Blvd
Portland, OR
503-963-4100
If you need it, go to the delc remy site, choose dealers, find the state and then choose the dealer. If he won't give you a good price, let me know maybe I can order it, and you pay for it when you pick it up. PM me and we can chat about it.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Beagle - Call Dynatron in Long Beach, CA 562-432-0925 - we paid 326 plus tax for the 28SI 200 (item #8600307) and also bought a new pulley for 30.

Monty - pull up the DelcoRemy website & download the Instruction sheet & SPecs - alll the pictures are there that you want. Their tech suppiort is 800-372-0222.
#75710.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Swans - Do we want the long or standard shaft one? So you received the wholesale price when you purchased. I am still searching around for a price, and want to see what Cummins would charge to install it. If it's too high I will do it. How do you (if anyone knows) to compress the cable tensioner so I can get the belt back on the new one?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry Monty, I can't answer that (Do we want the long or standard shaft one? So you received the wholesale price when you purchased) as Tris is working and he lost his cell phone! I would guess it is the standard one. I am the one who picked it up and there was no mention of it not being just the standard one.

You know - if WRV had let Cummins put the Alternator on the engine in the first place it would have saved us all alot of trouble! WRV put on what was cheapest. When ours went out the first call we made was to Cummins - and they researched it and said "Nope - WRV bought those engines w/o the Alternator!" Darn!
#75710.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, but then if WRV had done a better job on these we would not have over 40K posts to this forum like we do. However, to be safe, I have an appointment tomorrow with the glass guy to fix a small ding on the drivers side window, so i will measure it then. I am going to try to make the change myself, just need to line up a place to remove the pulley and then put it back on. The instructions are specific that it needs to be done in the horiziontal position. Other than that it is just a matter of getting into the compartment enought to remove the thing and replace it with the new one. I will write out a procedure and post it here once I have figured out what/when and how to do it safely. I am going to disconnect the batteries for sure but there may be other things as well. I have a friend trying to get me a good/better price on the new one.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
All - Yesterday, I put leads on the negative and positive chassis battery terminals and measured the voltage. It was 12.18. I then started the coach, and measured the voltage, expecting 13.9 or so, and it was 12.12. So the alternator is not putting out. I ordered the Delco Remy one 28SI for 326.00 + 12.00 Shipping, it should be here on Monday. I will change the device on Tuesday, and I'm going to try to do it myself and not move the coolant tank. There seems to be just enough squeek around it room.

My question is, what is the part number of the L/N Alternator presently installed, because I want to see the product specs for it, so I know in advance what the wiring postions are, so I don't hook up the new one incorrectly. If anyone has that information, I would be in your debt (beer at Quartzsite Rally) for it.
FWIW - THe back of the alternator (facing front - pully side is toward rear of coach) is real dirty so the connections might be corroded, but I'm going to change it anyway since the performance will imporve and then I'll have a spare.

Thank you all. I love this forum.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Good luck, Monty. We are leaving at 4am for TX and Tris is asleep. I will show him your last post and email you from the road!
#75710.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck and safe roads on your trip to TX. Hopefully we will catch up at Quartzsite and hoist one to great friends, and acquaintances.

Yeah, I just need the L/N Model/Part Number if he has it handy.

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Coin-OP - I think the fellow is wrong about two sense wires. Read my post on the related thread about alternators. Mine is an 07 APEX, and it had only one sense wire, the other wire is related to the ignition terminal and was labeled as such on the back of the LN unit. If and using a Delco Remy brand, you connect the white wire to the ignition term on the new unit, you will not be able to stop the engine while running. I disconnected the white wire and its operation is normal. OBTW-I am getting 14.1 V output at idle RPM. I am way pleased this was as painless as it was, that is except for the price of 326.00 & 12.00 shipping.