Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Refrigerator replacement

I need to repair or replace my refrigerator. The Dometic NDR1292 is not available any longer. The side by side replacement is too big to fit and is $3800.00! Has anyone replaced theirs with a less expensive unit?
I also am considering replacing the cooling unit and circuit board myself. Is there some advice on this?
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are refrigerator replacements in RV Systems & Appliances forum both residential and cooling coil information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Cris View Post
I need to repair or replace my refrigerator. The Dometic NDR1292 is not available any longer. The side by side replacement is too big to fit and is $3800.00! Has anyone replaced theirs with a less expensive unit?
I also am considering replacing the cooling unit and circuit board myself. Is there some advice on this?
Richard got to www.rvcoolingunit.com and cruise around there web site. The Amish build a good cooling unit that we have recently started using with good results.
Wayne Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Richard, I recently replaced the cooling unit in my NDR1292 with the Amish built unit that Wayne mentioned. The job isn't one for the faint of heart, but if you're determined and generally undaunted by major projects, it's one that you can accomplish. If you aren't up to a major challenge, I suggest you let an RV repair facility do the work. The last thing you want to happen is that you get discouraged in mid-project as it is really hard to find an RV repair shop that will take on the project after it has been half done. If you do tackle the job of replacing the cooling unit yourself and run into problems along the way, you are welcome to contact me and I will try to give you the benefit of my recent experience in doing the job.

Roger D.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I have been researching options and have decided to replace cooling unit and circuit board myself. Will remove refrigerator and do job in my basement workshop. Will order the Amish built unit today.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Richard, I have one suggestion. Order and also replace the thermistor when you do the cooling unit replacement. It is relatively inexpensive and if the old one goes bad (or is already bad and you reuse it) you have to partially remove the refrigerator from the cabinet to install it. Best to install a new one as part of your project. I ordered and purchased mine from a local RV Sales & Parts company (saved on freight that way) for $29.99 plus sales tax. The Dometic part number is 2931863027. One other suggestion. Make sure you have a STRONG person assisting you with the removal and reinstallation of the refrigerator. Also, when I did mine, I constructed a platform the exact same height as the refrigerator opening to slide the refrigerator onto when removing it and than when reinstalling. When reinstalling, I lifted the unit onto the platform and was then able to slide it back into the cabinet opening without too much trouble. These units are pretty heavy and can be quite a challenge to lift in and out of the opening without doing some damage to the cabinet. Good luck with your project.

Roger D.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I will make my suggestion, and then I will shut up. Replace it with a residential type fridge, first the cost will be about 1K less, second, RV refers are the 2nd leading cause of fire in an RV, you will eliminate this fire and safety hazard with the replacement of it with the Residential type. Then you just make sure the 120V circuit is from the inverter side of the electrical system so it gets power going down the road. It's not that big a deal if you are handy with woodworking. You can use the old refer propane line to power the outside grill with a quick disconnect type of gas fitting.

If you are worried about boondocking, we spent 8 days in the desert last year with marginal batteries. I just replace all the batteries with AGM type, so I’m looking forward to see how the new ones are going to work for this year’s rally.

You won’t regret changing it out to a house type, and the food will stay colder, and fresher for a longer period of time. I love the residential one in out coach, and would never have another RV without this type of unit.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Cris View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have been researching options and have decided to replace cooling unit and circuit board myself. Will remove refrigerator and do job in my basement workshop. Will order the Amish built unit today.
Richard, Have no fear of the job being that difficult to do. I recently replaced the cooling unit in my Norcold 1200 by myself. I did the whole job inside my coach and found that there was plenty of room to work on it. You don't need to take the fridge completely out of the coach unless you just need a little more exercise. Just be sure to follow the instructions completely and seal the cooling unit foam block back in place using the instant foam provided with the unit.

The residential type refrigerator is also a nice way to go, but keep in mind that you will probably need to upgrade your inverter and batteries. I think the hardest part would be getting it to fit in the space where you have removed the old Dometic and also if it needs service along the road where do you take it?

The new Amish Built Cooling Units are built using a 50% thicker wall tubing so no stupid recalls are needed therefore no fires to worry about.

Here is a short slideshow video I made that shows my installation. Maybe it will help you with yours.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

WOW! This forum has never been better. Thanks for all of your replies and helpful advice. I am excited about doing the repair myself. I have removed the fridge before to replace the crappy factory ice maker line so I can do the removal easy enough. Will replace the thermistor also.
Thanks again!

Tags
refrigerator, replacement