Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #1

Removed front cabinets, TV and alll related hardware. Anyone need anything?

I've done the "normal" TV removal, but I also removed all of the front cabinets as well. I'm installing a 50" plasma. Well, I have a 50" plasma that I'd like to install, but it may be too big, not that there is such a thing when talking about TVs'.

Anyway, does anyone need any parts from the front cabinets? Knobs, hinges, doors, frames etc are up for grabs for someone that could use it. I'll be keeping the fans and probably the lights. The front 3 speakers may even be up for grabs if I (most likely) determine that I'm going to replace them.

Thanks!

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Be careful of the heat the Plasma TV's generate. Additonally, I don't know how well the Plasma will stand up to the shocks and bumps of the road. Before you make that change, I would ask around and see if anyone else has gone that route. The older sets also had a half life because of the gas leaking out I think. But that was a long time if I remember correctly.

I would install higher volume fans with maybe a couple more to move the air around better. I think an LCD set works cooler. Do a search on one remodel Dale did, he mentioned some quieter fans he purchased and I believe if my memory serves they had a higher output CFM than the original.

I hate the fan noise, and once we get setup in FL, I am seriously thinking of changing all the fans in the house. One was never wired in, so adding the necessary connector is also on the agenda. This would include the fans in the HH registers as they also make a lot of noise, and I want more air flow.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #3

My '04 came with the Panasonic 37" plasma monitor, which has worked fine for over 5 1/2 years and some 56K miles of bouncing down the road. I have used it at high elevations in Colorado with no problems. If it died tomorrow, I would not hesitate to replace it with another, EXCEPT that nobody seems to make a 37" plasma any more. I just bought a 37" LCD TV for my home office with the idea in mind that I could use it in the coach if necessary since it is the exact same width as the plasma.

Please be aware that most plasma screens cannot be laid down flat, as the thin glass is susceptible to breaking. When I purchased a plasma TV for home use, it was shipped with an indicator to show it has not been laid on its side in transport. So don't try to use some sort of fold-up screen system. One of the WRV engineers told me that they had planned to do just that until they read the warning on the plasmas.

If I was going to the expense of rebuilding cabinets, I would probably look at using one of the newer LED TV's. They are expensive, but are supposed to use less power as well as have a great picture.

My two cents worth.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

I forgot to add that the plasma didn't have any sort of extra fan cooling system installed in the cabinet area to aid cooling. It did have a large screen area underneath it to dissipate heat. Heat does not appear to be an issue. I use mine way too much, so if anybody would have a heat problem, it would be me!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

Newell's come with a 50" tv. Then all you need is a steerable tag axle to get the 38' turn radius.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

I was looking for a fold up solution with my plasma so it looks as if I'm going to need to do something else. Thanks a lot for the help!

GT
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #7

BTW, the cabinets are still up for grabs.

GT
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

The best solution for ventilation IMO when upgrading cabinets is to use 120mm fans of a quiet variety. They will move a lot more air than the 80mm, interrupt nothing in the way of high fidelity (or any other kind of fidelity), and use less electricity than the OEM fans.
I replaced the 80mm OEM's w/the SilenX 80mm ultra-quiet (~14dBA). Now the only noise is the DW asking, "Why is the entertainment center glowing blue?" "Those are the LED's dear." "Well, can we turn them off? They look stupid."
I guess there is always a trade off.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
What TV are you replacing? is it the 20" Panasonic CRT in the center mount? What is the finish on your cabinets currently? I would love to see pictures of before and after. I have considering doing a TV replacement in ours as well so any ideas you come across I would love to see.

Thanks,
Mike

Moorpark, CA
work2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #10

Yeah... replacing the center TV. I have the TV and all of the cabinets out right now and it so amazing how much space those cabinets and TV take. In fact, I've determined that the entire design of older coaches such as ours are based on the TV. Even the center area that pulls out to the right of the driver is there so you don't bang your head on the TV. Newer coaches have a much flatter front area, both above and below the windshield.

No problem on the pictures. We'll see how it turns out!

GT
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Now the only noise is the DW asking, "Why is the entertainment center glowing blue?" "Those are the LED's dear." "Well, can we turn them off? They look stupid."
I guess there is always a trade off.

I think I have her twin
Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHill View Post
I was looking for a fold up solution with my plasma so it looks as if I'm going to need to do something else. Thanks a lot for the help!

GT
Sorry to rain on your plasma parade.

When you plan your new cabinets, make sure to make them deep enough for your components, AND room for the connections in the back. I have found online sources for all sorts of right angle connectors and some power cables to try and fit stuff in limited depth. They helped get my Tivo in! Send me a PM if you need the sources. Cables-To-Go makes "Mini-coax" cables that are easier to work with than the usual stiff RG6 to go from the existing coax leads to the components. They come in various lengths. Signal quality is great. I just left the coax bundle in the back area and used to mini-coax to wire everything to the Winegard switch box. Then component video to wire from the components to the plasma. (It didn't have HDMI connections.)

Good luck with the project.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #13

Currently, I'm not planning on installing any cabinets in the front. The only thing I may keep up there is the input / output switcher. I really like clean and hidden, so the home theater receiver, DVD player etc will be located elsewhere. Not sure where yet. I'm inventing this as I go and that is always scary.

GT
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We have the 32" Dell LCD in our APEX, and it works very good, as least we have no complaints. If it ever quits, I will replace it with a Panasonic LCD 32 if at that time I can find one. And I actually like the way our front cabinets work, as we have the 40-MDTS model, and so that arrangement does not get into the way.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote