Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Unhappy Repair Estimates 03 MDDS

I am looking at a 03 MDDS and I have found a couple of issues that need to be addressed. I am looking for rough estimates that I can use for negotiations. Yes I am going to attempt to contact a couple of facilities tomorrow.

The steering gear box is leaking. I can clearing see the drops. Looks to be from the pitman arm shaft. Remove - Replacement - Install Cost?? Or Remove - rebuild - install cost?

ISL 400 Headgasket. The interface between the head and the block is wet/damp. The valve cover interface looks to be dry. So this would need to be replaced. Pull the head - replace gasket costs?
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #2

It looks like I jumped the gun a bit. In looking at the pictures, it clearly shows the oil above the exhaust manifold. So there does not appear to be a head gasket issue. It is the section below the red valve cover and above the head. I think I read it is something to do with the jake brake. IS that right??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	319798  
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #3

Difficult to tell from picture--but my "guess" would be the valve cover.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #4

On the steering gear check the hose connections on the top. One of mine was loose causing a small leak, easy fix.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:35 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Difficult to tell from picture--but my "guess" would be the valve cover.....
Agreed this is very hard to tell from the picture.

The valve covers are held in place with specific bolts that can break over time. I found a broken bolt during an inspection that had sheered off due to vibration over time. I quick way to check for broken bolts is to put a socket on them and check tightness.....a broken bolt will easily turn and not "cinch".

You may get lucky and it could be as simple as a leaking valve cover gasket and the smallest bit of leakage can go ANYWHERE when the engine is running so it's really hard to find the exact source without completely degreasing the engine and tracking it down.

Is there any other evidence of a leaking head gasket (water in oil, etc..)?
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 AM   #6

Oil samples were taken, but I do not have the results yet.

Yea, I am pretty sure I misspoke on the head gasket. It looks to be the top of the head.

I think it is the valve cover on top (red). Then I read that the next part is the jake brake mechanism and then the actual head. If that is true the wet area is at the intersection of the jake brake and the top of the head.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astasoftride View Post

Yea, I am pretty sure I misspoke on the head gasket. It looks to be the top of the head.

I think it is the valve cover on top (red). Then I read that the next part is the jake brake mechanism and then the actual head. If that is true the wet area is at the intersection of the jake brake and the top of the head.
If this is the case it's not a big deal....at least in RV$$$
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astasoftride View Post

Just a suggestion.

You are posting the same questions on different fora and are getting responses in other threads. It will be much easier for you and us to combine all together into one thread, or start limiting your questions and responses to one thread.

Example, you have several responses to the head gasket issue, one of which focuses on the #6 injector connection rather than the engine brake connector. Enlarging the photo shows the wettest area under the injector connection. IMO, that information would be helpful to all who follow in this thread. No need to reinvent the wheel several times.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:53 PM   #9

Valve cover sweating is common. If that is what is the source is? not a big deal.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

PS--dirty diesel fuel collecting on the engine block looks a lot like engine oil--probably an oil leak from valve cover but need to clean up the area and look for fuel too.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Following up on this somewhat.

I did end up purchasing the coach. The price was adjusted. Hopefully enough, but I will not know that answer unit it is fixed. It is headed to the shop next week.

The steering gear box is leaking from the output shaft. It is marking its territory at the storage lot.

The engine oil leak, well I will just have too wait for the outcome.

I did discuss the issues with the truck repair shop where I will be bringing it. I have a number, if it is that, I’m ok. Less than that great. I will provide the outcome when completed

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29EFBBBA-8F55-405B-AB20-D6A3C8A404CE.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	320693  
Old 03-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #12

The area you spoke of on the sector box where the pitman shaft enters (or exits) the box has a seal there. Usually the seal can be removed and replaced without too much trouble, unless corrosion from sitting for a long time has occurred right under the lip of the seal.
Dudley Do-Right '06Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
The area you spoke of on the sector box where the pitman shaft enters (or exits) the box has a seal there. Usually the seal can be removed and replaced without too much trouble, unless corrosion from sitting for a long time has occurred right under the lip of the seal.
Dudley Do-Right '06Apex40MDTS
Thanks for the info. I do however have the replacement budgeted. If I was doing it myself, I would try replacing the seal(s), but unfortunately I do not have the space to do that kind of work.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #14

Resolution of the Items in Question

I found a truck repair shop that took care of the issues for me.

Steering Gear Box - rebuilt box

Engine Oil Leaks
Turbo Oil Return Line
Front Shaft Seal
Rocker Box Cover Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket
One week turnaround time
Just under $3g

Thanks for all who replied

Tags
air, repair