Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

Replacement Vansco

I just received my replacement Vansco 2820 from last years final order. After looking over the programming instructions sent via Steven Maurmann from Engineer Mike, and another version I found on this site, there is a slight variation (I won't post the link just to avoid confusion.)

I also vaguely remember a follow up email that made a correction or change in the directions, but I can't be certain of that.

So, my question is, has anyone programmed their new VMM, and if so, which directions did you follow and how did it go?
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #2

Before anyone programs a VMM, I would add that EMís original instructions were written at a time when the modules were still being produced. The idea was to program the new unit and test it while under warranty. Iím not certain what the warranty is on this final run or what options are available should a unit be determined to be defective. It has also been a common practice to leave the unit(s) unprogrammed until it was necessary to replace a defective unit.

For 2005-09, a programmed unit is theoretically interchangeable between coaches of those years. 2004, and the lone 2003, had some proprietary programming. 2004 units only work in 2004 coaches. Just something to consider.

I have an unprogrammed spare and I wonít be programming the second spare when it arrives.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

I expect to receive my new unit in the next week or so. I haven't decided whether or not to program it. My brother will also get his when mine comes in.

I already carry a programmed spare so I'm thinking I'll leave the new one unprogrammed, not sure yet. I'll talk it over with my brother, but I suspect we may program his so he will also carry a ready spare.

Several months ago there was discussion about carrying an unprogrammed spare so that it could be lent to somebody who was stuck and needed a replacement for any year. At that time replacements could take up to two months, a long time to be dead in the water, but they were available.

There was also some discussion about the interchangeability between different years, were there differences in the various versions etc. I lost track of all the opinions and had already programmed mine so it was a moot point. I figured I could loan it to somebody with an '05 or later.

As far as a new unprogrammed unit being loaned out, I'm thinking that isn't gonna happen now that replacements aren't available.

One drawback of not programming is not knowing if your new unit is in fact a good one. It would be a PITA to change it out in Timbuktu only to find out the new one is belly up. I'm sure you could energize the new unit without programming it to see if it appears to be working. Also I don't know about any warranty we get but I assume it would be void a couple years down the road.

As far as programming instructions I will use the instructions I have. They worked like a champ the last time so I can't quit a winner. Programming is fairly simple just a little tedious, I get a little nervous fiddling with expensive electronic stuff. I also figure it's easier at home in the shade with a tall cool beverage and no rush to get going again.

Thoughts??

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #4

Another thought about preprogramming. If you were in an inconvenient spot or had some time constraints you could plug the new unit in without removing the old unit and be on your way. I'm thinking duct tape and cable ties.

The units are a little fiddly to remove and replace, especially the front, easier with 2 people, so I would like to be able to change it out at my leisure if possible.

Terry
Old 07-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

I'm thinking along the same lines as you Terry but also haven't decided yet either.
I have a new unprogrammed unit so I might program this latest one so one is ready to go if needed.
My coach is 05, year of your coach might factor into a decision.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I expect to receive my new unit in the next week or so. I haven't decided whether or not to program it. My brother will also get his when mine comes in.

I already carry a programmed spare so I'm thinking I'll leave the new one unprogrammed, not sure yet. I'll talk it over with my brother, but I suspect we may program his so he will also carry a ready spare.

Several months ago there was discussion about carrying an unprogrammed spare so that it could be lent to somebody who was stuck and needed a replacement for any year. At that time replacements could take up to two months, a long time to be dead in the water, but they were available.

There was also some discussion about the interchangeability between different years, were there differences in the various versions etc. I lost track of all the opinions and had already programmed mine so it was a moot point. I figured I could loan it to somebody with an '05 or later.

As far as a new unprogrammed unit being loaned out, I'm thinking that isn't gonna happen now that replacements aren't available.

One drawback of not programming is not knowing if your new unit is in fact a good one. It would be a PITA to change it out in Timbuktu only to find out the new one is belly up. I'm sure you could energize the new unit without programming it to see if it appears to be working. Also I don't know about any warranty we get but I assume it would be void a couple years down the road.

As far as programming instructions I will use the instructions I have. They worked like a champ the last time so I can't quit a winner. Programming is fairly simple just a little tedious, I get a little nervous fiddling with expensive electronic stuff. I also figure it's easier at home in the shade with a tall cool beverage and no rush to get going again.

Thoughts??

Terry

Terry, what instructions do you have? That is what I am asking about. Can you share them or provide a link? I just want the steps someone followed successfully, and you have done so.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Another thought about preprogramming. If you were in an inconvenient spot or had some time constraints you could plug the new unit in without removing the old unit and be on your way. I'm thinking duct tape and cable ties.

The units are a little fiddly to remove and replace, especially the front, easier with 2 people, so I would like to be able to change it out at my leisure if possible.

Terry
If you and a friend have some fiddling time, flipping the front bolts will make it possible to replace the front unit easily from inside. I did this a few years ago. If memory serves, I did have to replace the existing bolts with bolts that were threaded for their entire length. Insert the bolt from outside the firewall and thread a nut down from inside to create fixed mounting studs. Slide the module onto the bolts and secure with 4 nuts.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
If you and a friend have some fiddling time, flipping the front bolts will make it possible to replace the front unit easily from inside. I did this a few years ago. If memory serves, I did have to replace the existing bolts with bolts that were threaded for their entire length. Insert the bolt from outside the firewall and thread a nut down from inside to create fixed mounting studs. Slide the module onto the bolts and secure with 4 nuts.
Kid Gloves, I replied to your PM. Thanks again.

I'm still undecided about programming the new unit. No more units are being made so the idea of loaning an unprogrammed unit to a stranded brother is off the table, unless it is for a 2004 year. If I program the new unit, it is good only for other 2004 coaches, but I have a spare ready to go.

The only positive for keeping in "clean" is that I may wish to sell it in the future, should I sell my coach.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #9

I flipped the bolts when I replaced my front unit. I did it by myself with the help of vise grips and duct tape. It was a stupid way to mount the VMM, something Jaguar would have done!! Once the bolts are changed it's a simple swap, I can't remember if I used the original bolts or new or all thread. Getting feeble minded!!

Larry, I'll dig out the instructions and let you know where they came from. Like I said it's fairly simple but made me a little nervous. Funny I didn't bat an eye changing expensive electronic stuff at work, maybe because they were writing the checks
Old 07-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

I plan to program the new unit, and use it on the coach now. And keep the existing one as the spare. I want to know the new unit is good, and properly programmed. I don't want to do that on the side of the road somewhere. If I screw up the programming, I want to know that NOW! I just got mine and have not programmed it yet, so I can't help on the procedure. Thanks to Kid Gloves for the "stud mount" suggestion.

Ljwt330, please put me on your "will loan to" list!
Old 07-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I plan to program the new unit, and use it on the coach now. And keep the existing one as the spare. I want to know the new unit is good, and properly programmed. I don't want to do that on the side of the road somewhere. If I screw up the programming, I want to know that NOW! I just got mine and have not programmed it yet, so I can't help on the procedure. Thanks to Kid Gloves for the "stud mount" suggestion.

Ljwt330, please put me on your "will loan to" list!
You got it Jim! We 2004s have to stick together.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	335818

I copied the instructions I used, from the ACA library under Chassis and Brakes
Vansco VMM.

Sorry this is upside down, you can see why I was nervous when I programmed the new VMM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #13

Larry,

I'm sorry the pic is upside down. Now you know why I was nervous programming a new VMM.

I followed the instructions to the letter and it all went well. Jim might have the right idea, put the new one in and save the existing one for the back up. It's a known quantity.

Terry
Old 07-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Larry,

I'm sorry the pic is upside down. Now you know why I was nervous programming a new VMM.

I followed the instructions to the letter and it all went well. Jim might have the right idea, put the new one in and save the existing one for the back up. It's a known quantity.

Terry
Thanks Terry. Most important thing is that the instructions worked. I can easily flip the photo, but someone else also sent me the instructions. All is good so far.

BTW, for the good of the group, I just emailed JCA to ask about what, if any warranty is provided given this was the final run. I received no paperwork with my unit, but it was sent in bulk with others so there may have been some in the original shipment.

If someone knows the warranty answer, please post it. I will post whatever response I receive from JCA.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement