Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #1

Replacing a two-piece windshield with a one piece unit.

Has anyone successfully replaced their two-piece windshield with a one piece unit? I'm strongly leaning towards purchasing a 2006 FDQS that really checks all the boxes, but still has it's original windshield. Anyone? Thanks!
Rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The windshield is a structural part of the body and the center post has a LOT of wires in it that would have to be rerouted. Why do you want a a one piece unit?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
One reason could be an unobstructed view. Certainly the windshield would be more costly to replace than one side (if you only had to replace one side).

No doubt it can be done. NO DOUBT it would be costly.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The windshield is a structural part of the body and the center post has a LOT of wires in it that would have to be rerouted. Why do you want a a one piece unit?

I find the center post distracting. While I'm sure a certain amount of engineering went into going from the two piece design to the one piece unit in the 2007-08 models, I can't imagine that the swap would be all that difficult. But I have been wrong before.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

Be aware that a one piece windshield is much less forgiving to being torqued than a two piece.

Said another way, it is more likely to be broken by torquing the body over uneven entrances/exits. True of all large vehicles.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #6

I don't see the gain with a one piece windshield other than view. I think that center post makes the vehicle more structurally stable supporting the roof. An additional benefit is that the center post can be a reference point for lane positioning. Bottom line, I think there are more reasons to leave it as is than change it.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

Replacement cost for a 2 piece windshield about $1100 per side, one piece about $3000. Retrofit cost, probably a couple grand. Loss of structural integrity? Will insurance company provide coverage for a non-original component? Does the coach need any of the recommended higher priority upgrades? Steering bracket and stabilizer, master cylinder, shocks, spare VMM? How old are the tires and batteries? It would be an interesting project for sure.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
We really like the 1 piece windshield in our rig. Just make sure you have the good coverage for it! If you are changing, I would think added cost would be the wipers that would need to be changed also to park at the bottom or top instead of the center.
Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
I find the center post distracting. While I'm sure a certain amount of engineering went into going from the two piece design to the one piece unit in the 2007-08 models, I can't imagine that the swap would be all that difficult. But I have been wrong before.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

Thanks for your thoughts all. If we end up buying this coach I'll let you know which way we decide to go. RVPioneer made some very good point about priorities which will have to be considered.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I sure get what you speak of. One of the features we loved about the 07 Limited I will be picking up tomorrow is the one piece windshield.
Our Windsor is a 2 piece.
Don't like it.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I sure get what you speak of. One of the features we loved about the 07 Limited I will be picking up tomorrow is the one piece windshield.
Our Windsor is a 2 piece.
Don't like it.

Thank you. I know I'm not alone in find it distracting. Good luck with your new coach!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Do not do anything foolish

My 2007 is on its fifth one piece windshield and it is cracked. The coach came with a cracked windshield and new ones generally develop cracks in a few months. The installers always have a hard time with a new one and you can tell from the outside it does not really fit. Also it is prone to leaking because of the poor fit. Once I drove diagonally over a driveway slope and it exploded. Although the parked wipers are nicely out of the way, the motor strains to move them and they rotate on the shaft because they are so big.

The one piece windshield ranks up there with the side hinged storage doors as dumb ideas. A six foot wide door sags and hits objects beside your coach. I actually broke a water pipe with mine. Then there is the fear it will swing open while you are driving.

Don't get me started on the "smart" (dumb) hydraulic storage drawers. Great for crushing stuff and impossible to access when the HWH acts up.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J Fisher View Post
My 2007 is on its fifth one piece windshield and it is cracked. The coach came with a cracked windshield and new ones generally develop cracks in a few months. The installers always have a hard time with a new one and you can tell from the outside it does not really fit. Also it is prone to leaking because of the poor fit. Once I drove diagonally over a driveway slope and it exploded. Although the parked wipers are nicely out of the way, the motor strains to move them and they rotate on the shaft because they are so big.

The one piece windshield ranks up there with the side hinged storage doors as dumb ideas. A six foot wide door sags and hits objects beside your coach. I actually broke a water pipe with mine. Then there is the fear it will swing open while you are driving.

Don't get me started on the "smart" (dumb) hydraulic storage drawers. Great for crushing stuff and impossible to access when the HWH acts up.

WOW...thanks. Well that is some food for thought. Do you happen to know if there are other Alpine owners who've had that experience or is it perhaps isolated to your unit?