Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1

For all us "pre-silverleaf" vintage coach owners (04 & earlier?), I've been kicking around the idea of installing a Garmin 7200 GPS, replacing the monitor (the 7200 accepts a composite video which serves as a color back-up monitor).

Here's a link to my favorite GPS review site:
http://gpsinformation.info/7200/7200.html

The 7200 dimensions are very close to the dash enclosure size and the 7200 is a touch screen interface. It even has XM functionality.

Mounting might be a challenge...

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #2

For all us "pre-silverleaf" vintage coach owners (04 & earlier?), I've been kicking around the idea of installing a Garmin 7200 GPS, replacing the monitor (the 7200 accepts a composite video which serves as a color back-up monitor).

Here's a link to my favorite GPS review site:
http://gpsinformation.info/7200/7200.html

The 7200 dimensions are very close to the dash enclosure size and the 7200 is a touch screen interface. It even has XM functionality.

Mounting might be a challenge...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #3

I purchased this unit for my indash needs. It will also act as a vidio screen and also has vidio output. I purchased a 14 inch fold down monitor to mount overhead so my wife has a good look at whats going on as well. The Pioneer has the radio, mp3, cd,dvd,and x m ready and touch screen gps.The unit I actually bought takes up two radio slots and does not fold the screen inside. Will be installing it in the next few months. David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
David (Toterman)- We were fascinated by your post on the Alpine site. We owned a Custom International TrailerToter and were ready to order the Mountainaire 5th wheel (like you bought) in '03 when we up and had an offer on the big truck and sold it. We turned around & bought an '03 40' Alpine Limited for about the same amount of $ we would have had in the truck & 5thW. We loved stepping up to the Motorhome and have just taken delivery of a new Apex 40'MDTS.

The picture here is of our "old" Alpine! Haven't posted the new one yet! The Swans
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #5

David, thanks for the post! Nice rig (and bike)

One of my concerns is to keep the GPS high on my "visual horizon" for safety. The Alpine radio mount is very low, even the dash mount area I'm contemplating is a little low.

My current GPS sits on the dash and doesn't require much distraction from my driving line of site, but it's much smaller and hard to see.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #6

The only issue I have with the Pioneer head unit as a GPS is the fact when deployed it blocks most of the air flow from the center dash outlets. Otherwise I find it very easy to use. The other neat feature I like is that it mutes the radio when giving voice directions. Wring is quite simple if you are replacing a Pioneer head unit, which most Alpines have until 2007.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne, have you considered using a lap top computer for your navigation? I have a 17" unit mounted on a pedestal just to the right of the HWH drawer; there is a cantilever adjustment that allows the computer to be positioned just about anywhere in that general area. I find the large screen to be user friendly - especially when in strange territory. I use Delorme Street Atlas for the data and it has a night time screen setting so it doesn't bother my eyes. The mounting post and antenna are both available from Delorme.

One of the features I like is the split screen. I can zoom in on the main map and there is an overview of a larger area off to the side - so I can keep things in the proper perspective.

Where did you get your side view cameras?

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #8

Frank,
I got mine at www.centralsatellite.com . I don't see them listed anymore on their website. They do list them on http://www.rvcams.com under cameras without monitors. It is the Voyager VBCYL15 not sure if they include the cover.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
THANKS WAYNE

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote