Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Replacing line for ice maker

The plastic line from the soleniod to the ice maker is rotten. I hear this is a common problem in many motorhomes Someone told me the fridge has to be pulled out to repair this while some one else said he replaced his by reaching his hand up there. Can this be done without pulling the fridge?

Thanks,
wittusen36MD
wittusen36MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What model fridge and where is it located would help?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi

There is a thread from a guy who had the same problem. He changed it without removing the fridge. You can look it up. I think he was able to pull the old one out. He attached the new line to the old one and used the old one as he pulled it out to install the new one. That's how I remembered it being done.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Here's a past thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/refer...air-97370.html

Good luck

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure the hose is leaking. Last week I had water coming in the TV from the bottom of the fridge. I cleaned it up and an hour later another puddle.
I thought my ice maker hose went. I went outside and removed the rear panel. I found the drain hose was clogged. I cleaned it out and put the hose back in the drain tray. No more water. I clean the drain hose every couple of weeks now. I feel lucky that's all it was.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
YC1

My hose was broken from a freeze when I bought the RV. I cut the head off a nail and inserted in the broken piece and the new piece. A dab of super glue or tape if you have room to pull it through. With two people you can pull the new hose through.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

You didnt distinguish between RV frig and residential--you may be able to replace line on an Rv frig via the vent openings but my experience with residential is that you have to move the frig. Remove four bolts thru the floor [look in basement]to the corners of the frig then raise wheels to clear tile floor. more info on threads in this forum.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
On my '03, I replaced the ice maker hose when I replaced the cooling unit on the Dometic NDR1292 RV type fridge while I had it out of the cabinet. I'm not sure if it can be done without pulling the refrigerator out at least some in order to remove the old hose where it goes through the back wall of the freezer and insert the new hose. Also, if you want to continue to have the use of the heat tape that keeps the hose from freezing, you have to pull the whole mess out and reinsert the new hose inside the heat tape. The heat tape is what makes the old plastic hose deteriorate (or as in the case of mine, disintigrate!). So you may want to opt for not using the heat tape and just make sure you drain the hose when you winterize your unit to keep the solenoid from freezing. Anyway, I believe you will probably have to pull the refrigerator out at least a ways in order to make the replacement repair.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info. The coach is a 36' Alpine Mid Door, RV style fridge, Dometic, side-by-side, right side of coach. I know the line is rotten for sure, it is brittle as far up as I can reach.
wittusen36MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

When I replaced the line on mine I set up a box the same height as the bottom of the refer. Ten slid it out of the hole to assess the back and the clamp for the top of the hose with the heat tape. The heat tape keeps the water in the hose from freezing between ice maker cycles. The hose runs along the cooling coils and into the freezer compartment. A little time consuming but not difficult
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

Ice Maker line leaking & ultimate repair

I've changed our ice maker line out twice and repaired it with the final solution you may want to consider. Lowe's sells a 60-inch Ice Maker Connector that is encased in stainless steel mesh with a 1500 psi burst strength. It attaches to the connector at the ice maker as expected. I had to use a short piece of polyurethane tubing in the service bay of the refrig. to connect the SS line using a union to this line and then use the solinoid plastic nut to make the full connection. (The SS line does not screw into the solinoid outfeed to the ice maker). If the 6" piece of poly deteriorates, its a lot easier to get to and change than having to install the whole length of 1/4" poly up to the ice maker.
The refrigerator needs to come out and is the only way. I used a floor dolly, some wide boards to make a platform, then placed two strong milk crates on top of this platform to place the refrigerator. In my case, the two person job of lifting the refrigerator onto this dolly platform was easy, less back breaking, and aligned with the opening perfectly. (This was better than the first time I did this poly tube change having to lower the refrigerator to the dolly about 12" below the opening). The dolly allowed me to rotate the refrigerator to install the line and easily re-position the refrigerator at the opening to reinstall it. (FYI-The poly line is the same as what is on home refrigerators).

Reconnect gas, electrical, etc. and life is good unless the solinoid goes bad, sticks open and floods your coach.... another experience I would not wish on anyone!! When you leave your coach, turn off the water pump is the only insurance you have unless you stop using your ice maker all together! I have a post on iRV2 what I did to catch this water is also another solution in case of a defective solinoid. Good Luck!!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

I don't want to sound like "chicken little" but after a couple run in's with ice makers and the mess I had to deal with.I leave ours shut off at the valve. Being used to drinking well water and the smell of treated water curls my nose hairs. We just pick up a bag of ice or bring some from home and store it in the freezer side.I sanitize all the holding tanks a couple times a year for peace of mind and to smell a little chlorine in the shower and sinks is OK for us. And it is one less thing to worry about while falling asleep at night. Maybe I am sounding like "chicken little"?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote