Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #43

Report on Rykon oil for brakes

I monitor this site on Alpines almost every day but am loath to get into the fray, however, have been reading about oil used in the Fan, Power steering, and brake boost.

Several years ago the time had come to change the filters and lubricant. My choice was to install AMS oil ATF which I believe is a full synthetic but can't verify this. The noise in the steering quieted down and has remained clean with no deterioration in lubrication quality or braking.

Perhaps someone may have done the same. We now have 32K miles on our 03 Alpine. Mike E.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Harold,

Sorry! I thought that you were the one that had supplied it. I would like to blame my poor memory on age, but it has never been that good about some things. Also, I didn't read your post correctly. When you said, "I'd like to hear your comments about this method." I was thinking that the method you described in the post was the one you thought that WRV recommend.

Due to the reasons that I posted and with the price of the Chevron Rando HDZ, I would try to do the WRV method.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #45

Here's my latest 3 cents worth (with inflation) on the steering, brake assist and engine fan hydraulics. After reading all the posts on the subject, contacting Mark Harrah, talking with fellow Alpine owners that have switched to Rykon/Rando 46 and speaking with technicians at Chevron and Valvoline - here is what I did.

I drained the 4 gallons out of the hyd reservoir and what bled out of the return line, installed 3 new filters and filled the reservoir with automatic transmission fluid.

The Chevron and Valvoline techs said 15W40 (which my system had), Rando 46, power steering fluid and ATF are ALL compatible and can be mixed. They both said ATF, PSF and R46 are close in viscocity and that any of the four fluids can used in the system. One rep said since ATF has better heat and water rejection properties and (unlike PSF) can be found in gallon jugs he'd recommend using ATF.

I then ended up taking my coach to a local truck, bus, coach mechanic to have that #%& main fuel filter changed ( I tried every way my back would twist - from below, from the top, from the side, and finally gave up). The mechanic also said any of the four fluids would work fine and that they get motor homes, school buses and trucks with all three: ATF, PSF, 15W40 oil.

At the suggestion of other Alpine owners on the forum I had him change and flush the brake fluid. He used DOT4 which he said would stand up better to heat and rejects water better than DOT3.

It is probably my imagination but it feels like my brake pedal is a LITTLE easier to push - but that may be wishfull thinking...

After all this I have come to at least one conclusion....I told Carroll that if I EVER say I am going to change the oil. oil and fuel filters, lube, change the hydraulic fluid, etc. to tell me to look at the permanent mess on my RV garage floor, remind me of all the dirty shirts & pants I went through, the rolls of shop towels I used, the skinned knuckles and cut head and then go pay somebody the $ 300, or whatever, while I sit reading a book with a cool drink in hand....I USED to like working on my vehicles and having that satisfaction of knowing I could do the work - but I think I will try to replace that urge with the pleasure of signing a check or credit card receipt.

Harold
2006 Alpine 36MDDS
being pushed by a
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Harold, you're getting cranky in your old age. What happened to that passion for shedding blood while working on the Alpine. You might get Carpel Tunnel signing all those checks.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Harold, ......You might get Carpel Tunnel signing all those checks.

Naw, do all your banking on-line....no more checks....

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #48

Jerry;

I've ALWAYS been cranky, it's just now I'm also getting less flexible, less tolerant, more forge... now what was I saying ??

Harold
2006 Alpine 36MDDS
being pushed by a
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote