Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #15

This certainly was an unfortunate incident. However, just how far do you think that campground security should and could go?

Do you want your favorite campgrounds to be surrounded by 8 foot high fences topped with 2 feet of razor wire?

Do you want all entry gates to be locked at all times with fulltime 24/7 security guards checking your ID and vehicle when you enter or leave?

Are you willing to pay the additional costs of these security measures through significantly increased camping fees?

Or, should we each take as many reasonable security measures as possible: check that RV and tow vehicles are locked; close all large windows at night; leave bedroom door open to the coach; consider owning a dog; etc.

I am workamping at a KOA near Barstow, CA until 2/28. Our store is open until 10 PM. In addition to parking new arrivals at night ( I work from 5-10PM), I ride around the park until 10 PM providing some semblence of security. After 10:00 everyone is on their own.

Be careful. Be safe.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Retired Senior Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Digital Boy:
This certainly was an unfortunate incident. However, just how far do you think that campground security should and could go?

Do you want your favorite campgrounds to be surrounded by 8 foot high fences topped with 2 feet of razor wire?

Do you want all entry gates to be locked at all times with fulltime 24/7 security guards checking your ID and vehicle when you enter or leave?

Are you willing to pay the additional costs of these security measures through significantly increased camping fees?

Or, should we each take as many reasonable security measures as possible: check that RV and tow vehicles are locked; close all large windows at night; leave bedroom door open to the coach; consider owning a dog; etc.

I am workamping at a KOA near Barstow, CA until 2/28. Our store is open until 10 PM. In addition to parking new arrivals at night ( I work from 5-10PM), I ride around the park until 10 PM providing some semblence of security. After 10:00 everyone is on their own.

Be careful. Be safe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think that's what he was suggesting Lew. I can see your position since you are a KOA employee but this report merely points out how we can help keep our own belongings safe. Lock those windows and chamber a round of rock-salt with a #4 as backup.

What would I have done? I really don't know but if someone has broken into my "home" and appears a threat to my family, then Mr. Mossberg could certainly help in any active negotiations. If you flip on the lights to find some 13 year old looking for money to mod his rice rocket, that's one thing but if you're looking at some wired-out crack head, that's another. Using force, a last resort. Avoiding this particular campground , first resort. I'll wager that this wasn't their first rodeo. The culprits either have or will continue until apprehended.

My 2-cents worth. YMMV.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #17

Well, I agree, especially if this KOA has a known history of break-ins. Of course, RVers for the most part would have no knowledge of this before checking in unless we call local police departmenst and ask.

I'm not trying to defend KOA. This story is not unique to KOA. My wife and I are recent fulltimers and this privately owned KOA is our first workcamp assignment. We're RVers first, employees (until 2/28/07) 2nd. We have no alliegence to KOA.

I may have missed reading part of this thread. So I'm sorry if my remarks did not hit the mark I was intending.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Retired Senior Member

You are right of course. This could have happened anywhere and our precautions can be applied at all times. I always assure the door is locked but never considered the windows being an entry point.

Of course, my dangerous guard-dawgs would make it difficult for any would be crook to get away with any loot. The slobbery tennis ball and tug-a-toys would be an obstacle too great for all but the most desperate thieves.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #19

Dig boy I want snipers at all points. Seriously study crime carefully and there is a cost benefit analysis that each person must do. Mayberry does not truely exist. Everyone takes on a degree of risk based on their inner person. Take my RV but I draw the line at a certain point that is between me and myself. Step over it and we tangle. I can not change the greater world...but my personal world is between me and those that enter it.

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Frank - We were so sorry to read that you were violated at a KOA. What an awful experience to go through! KOA charges plenty to stay there and I would expect some semblance of security on the premises. If you "camp at your own risk" you might as well go to a WalMart parking lot! I liked Gary Smith's suggestion of going on line to KOA Customer Relations and letting them know.

Did you ever get your engine gauges working yet?
Tris
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #21

Sorry to hear about this. You can also warn other RVers on RV Park Reviews =
RV Park Review Homepage

KOA in Forsyth, GA

This may have greater impact than contacting KOA?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fep:
On Jan 8,2007 at the KOA Campground in Forsyth, Ga. I, being alone and headed west, retired early for a 4:00AM departure enabling me to get through Atlanta before 6:00AM. Up at 3:45AM I quickly became aware that my cabin was trashed. My wallet that I had left on the console was on the floor opened - all cash gone, credit cards and license not touched. Cabin ransacked. Other than the cash, nothing missing. Door locked, curtains all closed. Called 911, while awaiting the police, pulled the front curtain and saw my trousers out on a picnic table that had been pulled up to the drivers' window that had been opened (I had neglected to lock it). Police arrived, discovered a small step ladder up against the passenger side window - assumed someone had been posted to listen to see if I might wake up.Investigator declared, "this isn't the first time this has happened". Analysis: This is a campground with many, "Park Models". My 34' Alpine '04 was arguably one of the "nicest rigs" in the park that night. Whoever the "Perp" was knew exactly what he was doing.Fortunately, I'm a sound sleeper, because if I had confronted someone who had put themselves into a situation wherein they could be trapped I would presume they were prepared to "control" the situation and any blood shed would have been mine. KOA didn't seem too concerned and the owner of the campground won't respond. Obviously, there is a predator either in this campground - or nearby - and at least I'd like the Alpine family aware of it.FEP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #22

My three dogs would love to "play" with someone at night! This happened to a freind at a rented cabin. They went through a open window with a pole of some kind and got his wallet. Cops said same thing. Sorry for your loss glad you're not hurt.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Great series of post. We must all be reminded to be vigilent. Camping has changed drastically. KOA does not care about their reputation they only care about their royalties. See the post regarding Reidsville, Virginia. Don't count on any third party to care about your concerns. The world has changed, customer service is great in some areas and totally lacking in others. As far as a dog, well my previous dog would have licked the hand of the burgler. We had our home broken into years ago and the unsafe feeling never leaves even after you move to another city. We had to walk our girls around the house and assure them that all doors and windows were locked, long after the break in. If our RV was broken into while we were sleeping I do not know how we would react. My husband does not want to carry a gun while traveling but I am aware that a lot can happen before the police arrive. It is a sad world we live in and as a previous post stated in aint't MAYBERRY.

Something to think on, Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #24

Since I didn't see any communication with KOA, Inc., I sent the following to their Customer Service email contact tonight:

KOA, Inc. needs to become aware of a series of postings regarding a "hot prowl" robbery/burglary of a fellow RVer at the Forsyth, GA KOA. The link to the ongoing discussion on iRV2.com is:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9686094452/m/1701095033/p/1
The current topic goes on for three pages. It seems that the KOA in question did not do much in the way of soothing the victim's ire/fright/fury?
I think that KOA, Inc. needs to get involved and maybe answer some of the postings on the Alpine Coach Forum; Topic "Robbed."

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #25

FEP and any one else who feels that they may have been the victim of credit card theft or identity theft,needs to periodically check with the credit bureaus and have your own personal credit checks done. Unknowing victims can really have there personal finances and credit totally messed up in just a matter of days by identity thieves.
Sorry to hear about the burglary, I'm sure you feel very violated.
Dave
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
This thread is a good reminder to all that security is everyones main priority when on the road. FEP, why on earth would you leave your widows wide open when you know you sleep like a rock ? Bad move, I bet you don't do that anymore. People I cannot stress it enough that an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. In these day's and times one cannot let down his or her guard for a minute. It doesn't mean you have to become a parinoid traveler, but an aware and prepared traveler. Everyone, take a survey of your normal routine and you will probably find a few things you may want to change in regards to your safety. Me, I wouldn't trust a campground any more then a truckstop or a Wal-Mart parking lot

PS: I am a firm believer in my dogs and my guns, I never leave home without them, IMHO.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #27

FYI - Here is the communication to and from KOA, Inc. Their reply (upper)to my message (below)said they would be in touch within 48 hours. Since they did not reply, I sent another email on 2/9/07, but no response to that yet either. Maybe I was wrong to assume that KOA would be interested?
fep, did you contact KOA, Inc. and if so, any results?

Greetings to you from KOA,

Kampgrounds of America, Inc. has received your email message. A camper service representative will respond to you within 48 hours.

KOA, Inc. loves to hear from campers. Please feel free to contact us anytime.

KOA, Inc.
Kamper Services Dept.
PO Box 30558
Billings, MT 59114-0558
USA
406.248.7444 telephone

KOA, Inc. needs to become aware of a series of postings regarding a "hot prowl" robbery/burglary of a fellow RVer at the Forsyth, GA KOA. The link to the ongoing discussion on iRV2.com is:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9686094452/m/1701095033/p/1
The current topic goes on for three pages. It seems that the KOA in question did not do much in the way of soothing the victim's ire/fright/fury?
I think that KOA, Inc. needs to get involved and maybe answer some of the postings on the Alpine Coach Forum; Topic "Robbed."

Referring Page:

http://koa.com/feedback/customerrelations.htm

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Apparently KOA doesn't care to respond for reasons known only to them.

Perhaps they're getting so large that they don't think taking care of public relations is a crucial part of their business. Maybe losing a few RV'rs isn't going to make a difference on their bottom line?

This is interesting to say the least.

Richard