Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most vehicles left unoccupied shouldn't be damaged by atmospheric humidity. If you have power, you could close up the RV and use a dehumidifier, but I just park it without power and leave cabinets, refrigerator, and closets open a bit so air can circulate.

Keeping the RV closed up is when heat on one side and shade on the other could allow moisture to collect and start mold or mildew. I've had cabin cruisers and RVs for over 40 years and never left one stored all buttoned up. Never had a mold or mildew problem either.

Have you ever tried that on the gulf coast in the summer?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Have you ever tried that on the gulf coast in the summer?
Lake Guntersville, AL, Northern Chesapeake Bay, Cincinnati, OH on the Ohio River.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #17

I have an '04 and have the original air conditioners on the roof. Other than replacing the shroud a couple of times on the front A/C, they have required no service.

When the outside temps approach 100 degrees, the front A/C tends to run pretty much full time. The rear one cycles from time to time. But they keep the coach comfortably in the mid-70's most of the time. MCD shades help a lot too!

There is a really old thread from this forum that deals with issues with gaps where the A/C units are attached to the air ducts in the ceiling. Not all of the cooled air was getting to the ducts, and therefore not to the coach where it is needed. It was just going right back into the A/C return air.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/fyi-...ning-9583.html

It might be worth your while to check for this condition in your coach. It made a big difference in helping to keep my coach cooler with much better air flow.

My other suggestion would be to move to a dry climate!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Jim is right on the money in my experience. Last year with our son & his wife temporarily living in the motorhome while parked in the garage I observed some rattling noises. My investigation turned into a bit of a "tune-up" on both AC units.

The rattling noise was coming from the sheet metal pieces that comprise the air chamber on top. It was originally taped with foil tape which had been comprised by age. Everything was re-taped.

The covers were in bad shape so ordered & replaced them. Interestingly, the foam seals under the covers was also compromised by age and ?. The foam strips that come with the covers is important because it serves to direct outside air through the condenser (all the finned stuff). We also had to straight many of the fins to promote good air flow.

Inside the coach we discovered just how bad the sheet metal was in separating the hot air from the cold air. There were big gaps where the sheet metal ducts come together between the AC unit and ceiling duct. We had to bend some of it just to get it close enough to tape. We taped all cracks with foil tape.

The results are much quieter ac units and improved air flow. You can only expect these AC units to cool the outside air by approximately 30 degrees. So, when it's really hot here in AZ (like 110 or greater) the inside will cool down to 80's or so. Extreme heat or cold temperatures are just not friends of motorhomes. Our coach is 40' which makes for more space to cool or heat. Jim's coach is 36' so that helps.

If you've never had your AC units "Tuned-up" as I described, give a shot. It's really not a difficult DIY project. If I can do it ...
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Bob,
For storage, I am a STRONG believer in a small house-type dehumidifier draining into the gray tank.

Some drill a hole in floor to drain dehumidifier to ground. Then no worry about filling gray tank.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Some drill a hole in floor to drain dehumidifier to ground. Then no worry about filling gray tank.

Yes, another option.

But, once our coach (or boat) is closed up and the initial humidity removed, you are not adding that many pints of water.

Said another way, if the gray tank on the Alpine was filled due to dehumidifier, you would have a lot of other issues!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Bob,

We may be talking about different circumstances.

I was talking about when in the coach and using the roof A/C's. I would not open a window or turn on a vent fan except when first getting to the coach to rid it of "hotter than ambient" temperatures. Once the A/C's drop temperatures below ambient, shut everything up.

For storage, I am a STRONG believer in a small house-type dehumidifier draining into the gray tank. Do that on all my RV's and also on the sail boat. Set humidity at 50% and never have any mold or mildew. Again we are talking about what to do in humid conditions-- our dew point right now is 78 degrees!
Brett,

I just bought a small dehumidifier for $40 on Amazon. What make and model do you recommend? I figured I'd give the cheaper option a try first. I plan to stay plugged in with AC's off, dehumidifier running and the fridge running. I am planning to modify to tank with a valve down low to allow it to drain into the gray tank. For placement I was planning the kitchen sink or bathroom sink for placement. Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

Small house-type dehumidifier-- 30 pint capacity.

Fridigaire 30 pint is what I use-- sits on board with blocks locating the feet so it can't "jump". Set it on the kitchen counter draining into the sink.

Here are some reviews:

https://thesoothingair.com/best-30-p...difier-review/
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Small house-type dehumidifier-- 30 pint capacity.

Fridigaire 30 pint is what I use-- sits on board with blocks locating the feet so it can't "jump". Set it on the kitchen counter draining into the sink.

Here are some reviews:

https://thesoothingair.com/best-30-p...difier-review/
Brett,

Do you leave any fans running or windows open to allow for air changes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Brett,

Do you leave any fans running or windows open to allow for air changes?

Thanks in advance.

In motorhome, one small fan on low blowing toward bedroom.

On sailboat two small fans on low-- one in aft cabin, one for forward cabin/head.

No open windows.

This has worked very well for many decades in a very humid environment (Gulf coast).

Tags
roof