Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Roof construction?

Can anyone tell me how the roof is constructed? I understand that it is supposed to fiberglass and one piece. While up checking the seams I noticed that near the rear there seems to be an air pocket. The roof material will move but when I push hard to remove the air gap it feels solid underneath. I have read about air pockets on rubber roofs but can this happen on a fiberglass roof? I don't see any evidence of leaks on the ceilings. I am working on window leaks and am paranoid about water leaks. I realize water leaks are not easy to locate. I want to be sure to find all possible entry points.

Thanks for any information
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #2

Assuming you have an Alpine coach, near the end of this pdf, from 2006, they mention the 5.25 inch thick roof. Is this "air pocket" you're talking about on the radius of the roof ? If it is, there could be a void there, and an area where you don't want to step.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
hax

Alpines have a one piece fiberglass roof. The roof rolls over the aluminum radius on top of the side walls and is screwed into the side of the coach. It is not glued down at the radius and will usually have some flex spots. A lot of Alpines will have some wrinkling in the fiberglass along the radius. I think the purpose of not gluing it down is so the roof can flex when the coach flexes.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Air Pocket location

The air pocket is not on the curved part of the roof although I do have some movement there also. This pocket I am talking about is on the flat part of the roof about 2 feet from the edge and 2 feet from the rear cap seam. Yes I do have a 2008 Alpine 34FDDS.

Thanks

Tags
roof