Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #1

Roof top A/C unit

I have a 2005 FDDS 36' Looking to replace one or both roof mounted A/C units I'm not sure what brand they are. I think they might be Dometic. Is this something that is universal, or should I be shopping for an exact replacement? Also, in addition to the make, I would like to find the model number. Can anyone help me?
Ron Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

Make and model should be available if you remove the cover and find the plate with that information. We had the rear unit replaced a few years ago with a Dometic. I’d imagine that you have the 15K btu with heat pump.

The front unit controls the rear unit. In our case, the original front unit required an upgraded circuit board in order to control the new rear unit.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the quick replay. Do you need the exact make and model or are they interchangeable? Is the tag under the inside cover or the roof cover?
Ron Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #4

Look under the outside roof shroud cover...PPL Houston is a good source to sort this all out...the new Dometic units are not backward compatible with old units without a mother board swap--about $100 for a new board. Believe some owners have installed a second thermostat and completely separated the two units but that requires some new wiring.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #5

I am on the process of replacing my 2004 front heat pump. I was told by MicroAire (thermostat maker) and dometic that I can use my old board of it i is still good. We will see as soon as the weather gets better so I can work on our.

I bought a dometic brisk air II to replace my Duotherm.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:30 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Here’s my understanding about replacing an old Dometic Penguin Heat Pump with a new model. You can use the old circuit board in the new unit and that works with old 5-button thermostat. If you upgrade the old unit with a new circuit board then you’ll need to upgrade the thermostat to the new CCC model. Ultimately, I would follow Old Scout’s advice and contact PPL for reliable information.

I’ve been following this issue for some timing assuming that I’m living on borrowed time with my AC units. If and when I replace them it will be with AC only units (no heat pump). My experience has been that the heat pump function is near worthless. And, my furnace does a great job of keeping us toasty.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #7

Just to recap our A/C replacement.

New rear unit with heat pump.
New circuit/control board in original front unit (with heat pump).
Same, original, 5-button thermostat.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Very interesting and good to know. Every website I’ve searched for replacement Dometic Penquin notes “Requires CCC Thermostat”. I hope you’re right since that will me some bucks.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Very interesting and good to know. Every website I’ve searched for replacement Dometic Penquin notes “Requires CCC Thermostat”. I hope you’re right since that will me some bucks.
Hi Bob,

I have the same coach as yours, purchased from PPL Houston last September. The coach had a defective front unit (15K Heat Pump). The seller agreed to replace that unit before the sale closed. On the date agreed upon for closing and delivery, I flew to Houston and during the walkthrough, discovered the rear unit was not cooling. PPL's solution was to replace the rear unit and the thermostat to achieve full functionality for both units. My experience with PPL's service dept was extremely disappointing, since they seemed to be lost on this issue, but I figured I was getting two new AC units, so I waited for them to perform the replacements and drove the Coach home to DFW. Although I had owned a Class A DP for 20 years prior, I had no expereience with Dometic AC units, so I researched and downloaded a considerable amount of information to educate myself.

This is what I found:
Dometic has offered a Climate Control Center (CCC) system for many years. The original CCC system with 5 button thermostat is what our coaches were equipped with. The rooftop units required a control board at each unit that was mounted inside an external metal box (approx 6"x6"x2") at each unit above the ceiling. If you remove the return air grille it will be mounted in that area. The Control Boards(boxes) were interconnected with a 4 wire data buss that also connected to the thermostat as well. If your coach has a residential fridge, it will also be equipped with AGS(Automatic Generator Start) which requires a separate Control Board/Box which facilitates starting of the generator when an AGS temp setting is programmed into the thermostat. Mine is stuffed behind the tank monitor panel in the OH cabinet next to the fridge.

The important thing to understand is that the CCC and CCC2 control boards can not interoperate on the same control data buss. All boards must be of the same generation as well as the thermostat.

All of the Dometic Penguin II units that are configured for multi-zone operation come with the newest generation Control Boards but they are now inside the unit and can be accessed by removing the rooftop shroud.

Referencing the model numbers of the older AC units is fairly useless exercise since they have been discontinured long ago. if you can look them up and decode the model numbers you might learn the capacity of each unit and whether they are cool only or heat pump. My new units are as follows:

Front: 651816HXX1C0-01 SKU:9600003813 - High capacity(15K) heat pump, multi-zone, polar white.

Rear: 641816CXX1C0 SKU: 9105305510 - High capacity(15K) cool only, multi-zone, polar white.

Thermostat: 3314082.011 SKU: 9108698985 - Multi-zone CCC2, polar white.

AGS Control box (if needed): 3312020.000 - CCC2 compatible control board in metal housing.

BTW, the CCC2 thermostat is about $125 on Amazon about the same cost for the Control Board/Box.

I hope this helps
JBB-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Joe! Your information aligns with my understanding. It is the CCC2 that I was referring to in my previous post. I believe my Heat Pump units (especially the front) are on “borrowed time”. In the event of a failure, I plan to replace both units with AC (not heat pumps). Our furnace is very efficient and capable of keeping the coach toasty. I assume the existing ducting hardware is compatible.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #11

I’ve found the heat pump feature to be quite useful, provided that the outside temperature is above ~40F. Yes, the propane furnace works great. It is also rather loud. I like having options. The front unit can be used while sleeping and the rear unit can be used while watching TV up front.

If electricity is included with the daily/weekly fee, I’d rather use their electricity than my propane. We also have 2 small electric heaters with 3 heat settings. Even if you don’t care for the heat pump, that feature may be considered a selling point in the future.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:17 PM   #12

Here is my explanation of what I did.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/dometic-b59196-with-ccc2-thermostat-568742.html#post6064637

Tags
roof