Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #1

My RS2000 is three years old. I noticed today a metallic sound which appeared to be coming from the lower fan. Sounds like the fan bearing may be going bad. The lower fan runs constantly when the inverter is on, so I can see where it might wear out after three years.

I called Xantrex. No parts are available for the inverter. You must replace the product with a new one.

My question: Has anyone opened up their RS2000? If so, has anyone replaced the lower fan?

Thanks

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

My RS2000 is three years old. I noticed today a metallic sound which appeared to be coming from the lower fan. Sounds like the fan bearing may be going bad. The lower fan runs constantly when the inverter is on, so I can see where it might wear out after three years.

I called Xantrex. No parts are available for the inverter. You must replace the product with a new one.

My question: Has anyone opened up their RS2000? If so, has anyone replaced the lower fan?

Thanks

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
As I posted back in Aug, I had the same problem. I replaced it with a RS300 as I wanted the larger charging capacity. It was under warranty, but I would have had to ship it to them and it is very heavy, (expensive) to just replace a small $10.00 fan.

This morning I finally got to it and tore it down. There are 23 screws on the bottom plate, not counting the 4 fan screws. Pull all of the screws, except the fan screws. The plate will then lift off, with the fan. Carefully disconnect the fans power cord from the circuit board, it has a drop of silicon holding it in place. Here are the specs on the fan ADDA model # AD0612XB-A71G, Xantrex may have used other fans, but I would think they would be all the same spec's. My inverter is quite new.

ADDA fan

Here is the fan I am going to replace it with.

FrozenCPU

I will put this inverter up for sale, with all of the other stuff that I have upgraded, here on IRV2 classified's when I am finished replacing the fan.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #4

Hi Ken, I had the same problem with my RS2000. On mine the same fan bearing failed, first making horible sounds, and then finally (by the time the replacement RS2000 arrived) completely failing and not running at all.

Fortunately, ours was still covered by the 36 month warranty. They shipped me a new RS2000 and temporarily charged my CC 1/2 the cost of the new one ($1,900) until they received the old one I returned. If you're still withing the 36 months from original "new" sale, you're in good shape. If not, I'd look at replacing the fan.

When I originally talked with Xantrex Tech Support I discussed removing the RS2000 and putting in a new fan, but since it was in warranty they didn't want me to open it up. I did get the impression from the Tech that changing the fan was an alternative though. They should be able to tell you the part number for the fan and if they can't provide it you can probably find an alternative source. A $30 (guess) fan is a lot cheaper than a new inverter, and it's not impossible to change this yourself. I you go this route, I'd be glad to share my experience on R&R'ing the RS2000 with you.

Good luck,
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
One thing that I want to mention that I found on our new coach. The ground on the inverter is not connected directly to the batteries. I had to disconnect the hot lead off of the large fuse in the battery compartment to kill the 12 volts to it. I didn't care to have a live wire of that amp capacity, loose in the inverter area.

On our 2002, I am pretty sure, that both of the inverter 12 volt leads are connected directly to the batteries, as Xantrex's installation manual shows.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #6

Dale & John,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Dale, please let me know how the new fan works and any problems that you ran into.

Let me see....New fan $10, new inverter $850...I think I will replace my fan after I hear back from you.

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ken,

New fan was $9.99 + $7.10 for shipping! Other than getting out your inverter, the fan work is very simple.

Where did you find a new RS2000 for $850.00?
Old 09-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #8

Dale,

Xantrex will sell me a new RS2000 at 50% off when I give them the serial number of my current one. Quoted me $850.

I noticed on the ADDA web site that the fan has a life expectancy of 20,000 hours or 833 days. 3-4 years sounds about right for failure, if you spend alot of time in your rig.

Did you look at the other fan? Looks like it might be 120mm?

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #9

hi there,
we just had the back fan replaced on our rs2000.
the person that we found in brookings, ore. working out of the back of his truck took the bad one out and went to a computer shop and found the same fan. he had to change the wires. if i remember correctly, it cost us about $125. that included 2 trips. he also wired it up so that we had regular 110 while he found the part. we were really pleased.
woodenboater
woodinboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

i didn't read my response very good. he purchased a new fan and wires were taken from the old fan. hope that i did not confuse you.
woodenboater
Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #11

woodinboater:

Can you share the name of the person who took care of your inverter issue? Would be good to have in case we need it traveling through that area.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #12

Well, I woke up this morning to something missing. It was the pleasant whir of the inverter fan.

The fan froze overnight. I will bypass the inverter for now, till I get a replacement fan.

Dale, any chance you could post a pic or two of the fan mount and which of the 23 bottom screws hold the fan on? I have a 60mm computer fan that may work for me.

Thanks

Ken
Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #13

old forester,
morning, his name is harold, 541-251-1323 in brookings ore. he is a general motorhome tech.
he did some work for our friends at the same time. they were very pleased.
we are looking forward to getting involved with alpine coach owners. hope to see you in branson this nov.
woodinboater
Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Ken,

The fan screws are obvious, 4 around small "grill" (holes for fan in plate). The fan is mounted to the plate and the plate can be removed with fan attached, to the length of the wires. If I get a chance I will take photo, but it will be apparent when you get it out. Be careful of the replacement fan you get, the fan used is very high air flow compared to most. See the listings and spec's on 60 x 60 x 25 fans on FrozenCPU link above, the original flows 31.1 CFM. The fan you have may get you buy for a short time, but I wouldn't trust it for the long term and R&R on the inverter is a bit of work to have to repeat. FrozenCPU has given me very good and fast service, they shipped it priority mail the same day I ordered it.