Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Running Both Roof Airs on 30Amp

Sorry for all the dumb questions guys but I'm not familiar with my buddies 2001 Alpine. Can he run both air conditioners at the same time from a 30 Amp service?

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Yes-- but with many of the same concerns/reservations as your "one AC/15 amp" question--most of the "toasted" campground pedestals I've seen over the years are on the 30 amp connection side--ever wonder why??????
PS--I dont know of any Alpine models that have an OEM-installed energy mgt system that would re-balance or shed load.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends. Likely yes, if nothing else is operating such as the microwave. Or if there is an EMS that monitors load and sheds one AC as necessary (my 30a service coach does this). Or if there is a capability to cycle back and forth between the two AC units (my son's Winabago does this).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Neighbor in the park down south did that, 50 amp coach adapted down to 30 both A/Cs on . Power plug & adaptor, melted on the third day.

30>50 amp adaptor , basically supplies each leg of the coach that should have 50 amps; 15 amps. A/C compressor start up load, can run to 17amps , depending on the size of the A/C.
Without the proper onboard EMS, it will over load the circuit.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #5

Sammie - See my reply to your other post "Running A/C on 15 amp"
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Sammie - See my reply to your other post "Running A/C on 15 amp"
SteveS, I did see your reply and thank you for the very useful information.

Sammie
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Comment on Skip426 reply. A 50 amp pedestal supplies 50 amps from two separate circuits so you have a total of 100 amps theoretically available. A thirty amp is one circuit of 30 amps. A 30 to 50 adapter at best connects the two prongs on the 50 together. There is still 30 amps available on either leg but no more than 30 together.

Two A/C coaches almost always have one A/C on each leg. However some adapters do not connect the two prongs so one A/C will not work. Nor will anything else in the coach, such as a washer/dryer that is on the second leg. In my experience, the yellow adapters do make this connection but many of the black ones do not.

I have seen home made adapters (and some commercial) that have a 30A male plug and a 15/20A male plug connected to a 50A receptacle so that each feeds one pin. This would be safe only if the pedestal truly had two separate feeds back to the transformer. However if the pedestal just connected one circuit to the two receptacles, you could overload the feed circuit since only 30A would be available.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #8

We've done it without issue. On the other hand we can't run one AC on a 15 amp suppy
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J Fisher View Post
Comment on Skip426 reply. A 50 amp pedestal supplies 50 amps from two separate circuits so you have a total of 100 amps theoretically available. A thirty amp is one circuit of 30 amps. A 30 to 50 adapter at best connects the two prongs on the 50 together. There is still 30 amps available on either leg but no more than 30 together.

Two A/C coaches almost always have one A/C on each leg. However some adapters do not connect the two prongs so one A/C will not work. Nor will anything else in the coach, such as a washer/dryer that is on the second leg. In my experience, the yellow adapters do make this connection but many of the black ones do not.

I have seen home made adapters (and some commercial) that have a 30A male plug and a 15/20A male plug connected to a 50A receptacle so that each feeds one pin. This would be safe only if the pedestal truly had two separate feeds back to the transformer. However if the pedestal just connected one circuit to the two receptacles, you could overload the feed circuit since only 30A would be available.
Rick, I think you have probably hit the nail on the head. My buddy probably had at least 3 adapters and an added extension cord to get from his coach to the plug outlet in his garage. My next move will be to buy him a new 50 to 20 Amp adapter and of course say a prayer to the electrical gods.

Thanks, Sammie
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Normally, adaptors come in 50 to 30, then another goes from 30 to 20....If you have a voltmeter, test for continuity in the 50 to 30 adaptor--thats the one that splits 20/30 amps to the two legs.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Normally, adaptors come in 50 to 30, then another goes from 30 to 20....If you have a voltmeter, test for continuity in the 50 to 30 adaptor--thats the one that splits 20/30 amps to the two legs.
Thanks Old Scout, I will do that. My buddy put his coach back in storage for the week, so I won't see him until next weekend. I will report back when I find the problem.

By the way, is that Old Cub Scout or Old Boy Scout?

Thanks Again,
Sammie
Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

.....1963 International Harvestor "Scout"....an oldie but a goodie.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.....1963 International Harvestor "Scout"....an oldie but a goodie.....
Well, at least your not old enough to have been an Indian Scout.

Thanks for your help,
Sammie ( Old Boy Scout )
Old 08-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
To all who answered, your help was invaluable in helping me fix my buddies electrical problem. Rick J Fisher had the answer and hit the nail on the head for me. My initial problem was that I could only get 115 volts on one side of the breaker panel when connected to shore power, but when running the generator I got 115 volts to both sides of the panel. The end result was a bad 30 to 50 Amp adapter. After buying a new yellow ended adapter today at good old CW and plugging in the coach, we now have power on both sides of the breaker panel.

Anyway, I was able to learn something new which hopefully I won't forget with old age creeping in.

Thanks Guys

Sammie

Tags
roof