Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Rust

My 2001 38' FDDS has developed a lot of rust underneath. I spend the winters in Utah and often have to drive over some snowy roads getting there. There is no truck wash near the area (Park City). We try to spray it off as best we can, but probably don't get everything really clean, so the coach sits the remainder of the winter with road salt covering everything

I spent several days under the coach last summer wire brushing and applying a rust converter and paint, but all of the rust has returned as bad as before. I'm considering having the underside sandblasted and painted in an effort to get rid of the problem.

Obviously, there are lots of nooks and crannies and fragile areas (electrical wiring, hydraulic hoses, etc) that need to be protected from blasting. Does anyone on the forum have experience with this or have any advice pro/con about this approach? Any help welcomed.

Marty Carroll
Marty Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #2

Do not have the problem you are experiencing but if I was to consider having the underside cleaned and undercoated then I would be looking for a maintenance facility that used the baking soda blasting method. This media is as effective as other blasting medias but has several other advantages. Check out this web site: http://www.chesapeakesodaclean.com/?gclid=CKOL3JiQiZ0CFdVL5Qod4kR-aw for additional info on this soda blasting. One advantage not mentioned in this article is that the cleaned but exposed bare metal is protected to allow time for undercoating/painting to be done before rusting/corroding process begins again.
As the equipment is mfg'ed in WA then I would think there are facilities on West Coast that have this capability.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Marty:

You need undercoating. It's a big business in the Northern States and most of the Midwest. Used to be everyone took new cars to those guys (Ziebart, etc.) I now live in "the dry heat", but recall your issues with little fondness. As eMike says, you just need a latitude adjustment.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I have considered undercoating after all the other work is done. Surprisingly, most of the undercoaters except for a couple of Ziebarts are no longer doing business in St. Louis (my summer home).

Marty
Marty Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, sandblasting