Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Sate-T-Steer stabilizer

SAFE-T-STEER
I have never felt the need to install a Safe-T-Steer stabilizer on my coach which historically was designed to handle like Ron Doyle’s BMW. Convince me.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

I drive in Baja, where roads are narrow, like reallly narrow. I'm always pretty sure we can get a reasonable thickness of feeler gauge between my mirror and the truck's heading the other way (or even more fun, passing a truck from behind). That combined w/the not-always-even pavement presents some challenging driving. And then there is the asphalt build-up, leaving a steep 4-8" drop off at the edge of the paving (great fun if you wander a bit too far right and hook a tire, which I've done 3 or 4 times, requiring a fast and adamant adjustment to the steering to pop the tire back on the road, then a reverse adjustment to prevent over correcting into the opposite lane mere inches away).

I was told steering correction hardware tends to "right" the steering wheel easier, but also requires you to pull harder to maintain a turn (i.e. its trying to return the wheel to center all the time). I don't want to hook a tire, then fight the coach's weight and the steering gizmo springs at the same time my pulse is accelerating 65 to 165 in a split second. While it might be a nice addition for the sleep-while-you-drive kind of freeway loping along we mostly experience, I like the feel of the drive for those times when control is all about handling the wheel just right. Although it would probably become second nature after a bit, I still don't want any extra fight for control when I need to engage all my concentration.

For those planning a few blow-outs, these may be a good addition.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

I installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer at Redlands Truck and RV last year because I was worried about the pull from a front tire blowout like you had, if my wife was driving the coach with her rheumatoid arthritis issues. I also was worried about the steering gear box bracket, which I subsequently fixed at Carrier and Sons. So far I've been lucky on both of these issues and haven't needed the steering stabilizer for those reasons.

However, shortly after I installed the steering stabilizer at Redlands last year we drove to Georgetown, Texas, 1300 from Palm Springs miles in 3 days, as we have done at least 3 times previously in the coach. I was amazed at how much less tired I felt every day. Since then, I've noticed it every day I have to drive 400+ miles. Its just less tiring to drive; I think because the steering wheel corrections are just fewer, not as hard, and the coach tends to wander less. I didn't expect the reduction in driving fatigue. It does as EMike says; tends to take a little more pressure to turn at speed on the freeway. I have also hooked an asphalt drop off a couple times, and it definitely doesn't pull as hard. I also believe it doesn't jerk to the side as much when I get passed by a truck in a strong crosswind.

So for me the hidden benefit was a reduction in driving fatigue along with the feeling of more control over the coach, especially when it's jerked sideways for any reason; a front tire blowout potentially one of them.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We installed the "Safe-T-Plus Steering Control" shortly after the "bride" got bounced to right by a semi, combined with a strong wind. We are absolutly delighted with it. What as major difference in handling? I would not be without it now. Downside is a bit of extra noise from our power steering pump but had it checked by Freightliner and they did not see a problem. They install the same system regularly on OTR trucks.