Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We currently do not have The In Motion Unit However, We want to upgrade, anyone out there recommend or displeased with this type of Dish.
Thanks Dave & Connie In Minnesota
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We currently do not have The In Motion Unit However, We want to upgrade, anyone out there recommend or displeased with this type of Dish.
Thanks Dave & Connie In Minnesota
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #3

Dave,

I have the Trac-King in-motion, low-profile 9762-LP-B, plus an HD converter box (#9747 HDTV converter kit) that automatically switches between satellites 101 and 110 or 101 and 119, as needed. Most HD programming is on 110, yet most non-HD programming is on 101. Some programming is also on 119.

This combination works for HD and non-HD, and it will automatically switch between satellites within a pair(pair 101 and 110 or pair 101 and 119), as required. I had the 9762-LP-B and the 9747 installed on my coach, and I can confirm that it works for HD from DirecTV.

I am very pleased with this combination, since it is almost entirely automatic and easy to use. The only thing non-automatic is the requirement to press a couple of buttons to switch between the two satellite combinations - 101 and 110 versus 101 and 119.

Check this link for King-Dome info on this subject: King-Dome HDTV converter info:
King-dome info

Once you are at the link click on:
1. Manuals
2. Accessories
3. HDTV Converter (9747)

This will give you a PDF that explains all the requirements in detail.

PS: This whole HD satellite broadcast area is in a state of flux, so for the future hardware requirements might be much different. For example, DirecTV is planning to have at least 5 satellites for Ka/Ku band broadcasting, so at the moment any domed satellite antenna solution is questionable for the future. However, I have heard (unconfirmed) that King-Dome will provide new software to allow re-programming their domed antennas to receive all 5 satellites (2 new ones later this year) for Ka/Ku band broadcasting.

Also, there is another possible non-in-motion solution if you are interested, which is the open-faced MotoSat antenna which skews to get all three current satellites (101, 110, and 119) at the same time, plus the additional 2 satellites later. Daddy Louie is the expert on this solution.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #4

My King Dome is not in motion but I can say this, I have problems all the time with this thing. A tec at camping world told me the best way to fix it is to get rid of it and buy the one CW sells (cant think of the name).
At least ask around to see if others are having problems before making the purchase.
My $.02
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #5

I have the King Dome in-motion and it does not automatically switch between satellites, requiring a manual process to lock on a different satellite, followed by a satellite receiver reset. I have Dishnet service.

I do have to call Dishnet every few months to "ping" my receiver for a software update, but I believe that may be unique to an older HD receiver I use.

Otherwise, the Kingdome/Dishnet setup has been very good and reliable, albeit not the most convenient.

However, I recently inquired with King Dome about receiving DishNet's 129 broadcast (which appears to be consolidating most/all of their HD broadcast).

They informed me that they will have a new "control box" in a month or so, capable of receiving 129 and providing automatic switching between their other satellites. I believe Dishnet's VIP211 receiver will be required for this functionality (HD and auto switching).

According to DishNet, this will also eliminate the "ping" software reset.

The good news for existing KingDome owners is: if you are within the 2 year warranty period, the control box will be swapped under warranty (returnable deposit required and you pay shipping to return the old one).
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #6

Muleskinner,

I have had a few more troubles with my King Dome not-in-motion than had with a previous motorhome with a Wineguard Movin'Vu large dome.

However, I have found the following things I do that almost eliminate all my issues with the King Dome, and have made me happy with it. I have Direct TV service, so I don't have to switch satellites.

First, I always start the King Dome and lock on to the satellite, and make the connect with the TV Receiver while on inverter power. Then I plug in the shore power or generator while the TV's running on inverter. I find this power source just works better than hooking power up first and then trying to connect.

Second, I do the adjustment shown in the King Dome owner's manual to help it more quickly lock on the satellite, depending on the latitude where we are. Since we travel north to south and back a lot (Washington State to California and Texas) it helps to change the setting on the switch to help find it more quickly when we move south 400 miles or so.

Third, I always turn on the receiver first and then start the satellite search; seems to work better for me.

Doing these things have helped me make the satellite lock-on relatively easy.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #7

OldForester,
Thanks for the tips! Being a "Man" I have not read the manual.
I also have Direct TV. I have always been able to hit the button and it would lock or I would have to try two or three times but eventualy I would get it to lock.
Question, In the set up, you know when you go to the meter that tells you satelite 101 or 119?
Mine has one dot or a coma? some how I lost the 101 or 119 info.
Can you tell the King dome what angle, Latitude ect.?
I will dig up the manual and read it. (after I get back from Fishing)
Thanks for your help!
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #8

Mule Skinner,

I don't mess with the satellite switch. Direct TV tells me it finds the right satellite and doesn't need to know whether it's 101 or 119.

In the King Dome manual, it will show you a picture of the U.S. map and which angle you need to set for fast lock up based on where your are in whatever state. There are only about 4 or 5 settings for the U.S.. You will see that you turn on the Kingdome, find the latitude you need, and then you will kick the "on" switch somewhere between 4 and 12 times or so as I remember, then shut it off and start again. It's a little more complex than that, but if you follow the instructions in the manual, it works well when you change north/south latitude a lot.

I find the overall solution easy once you've done it a time or two.

Let me know how it works, or give me a private message with your phone number and I'll give you a call when I go to my motorhome in the storage area and look at the manual and help you out.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to ggbanks
Dave, TracStar is the best. Check it out
ggbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #10

I think the LNB need the receiver on before it can find the satellite Power for the LNB comes from the receiver.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote