RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.. curious, is your new dish a dome or an open-face fold-down, like the Traveler? As a tip to others who might be contemplating a dish swap out--the original OEM location for the King Dome is not necessarily the best for an open-face dish antenna....wind noise and vibration can be an issue for open face antennas mounted near the front edge of the roof.....
You are so right on the wind/vibration. We have that fold down Dish sat. receiver, and it is mounted right up front to the right of center, and I have considered removing it for just those reasons. Besides, we like setting up in areas that are shady... big no-no for your dish. I have been thinking along the lines of a portable dish that can be moved around so as to be able to get a clear shot of a satellite...perhaps on the roof of your neighbors RV that happens to be out in the sun?
Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #30

I have the king dome on my 2006 came from factory install works perfectly with Dish VIP 211Z Receiver. In clear location picks up all satalites. Don't know for how much longer with changes but I will use it till it does not.
Dixidoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Was playing in the cargo bay and where one of the original connectors was pulled it out and surprise - no cable. There are a couple sitting behind the box need to pull off and just start tracing and marking. There is an HDMI cable sticking out on the back side so one of the PO must have ran some. Got a coax tracer like you suggested so can see where this maze goes and mark them. Anyone know if a tone tracer will work on a HDMI cable? Would think you could just clip one of the alligator clips on and try to find a ground for the other. Or could you clip both to opposite sides of the cable end and be able to get tones at the other end. Get all that figured out then can move on to the next part and getting a new dish

Thanks
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieS View Post
Re: 2002 Alpine, 36' FDDS, Trac Vision L3, Direct SD service.

Recently contacted Direct to replace one box. They have no old boxes. The tech noted ATT/Direct, plans to shut down SD service in 2019. Eventual plans are to eliminate sat boxes and push wifi (new 5G service).

The old Trac Vision works great!

Bernie

My bet on direct is what’s already been said , dropping local stations in sd next year The eventual goal in my mind for the RV/ Mobile crowd is direct now via cellular with a new receiver box that is a “cellular” att receiver that only connects to the cell network specifically for direct now feed. No other internet surfing or access allowed. But unlimited directnow watching
The downside is no att service or other WiFi ? No tv
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
My bet on direct is what’s already been said , dropping local stations in sd next year The eventual goal in my mind for the RV/ Mobile crowd is direct now via cellular with a new receiver box that is a “cellular” att receiver that only connects to the cell network specifically for direct now feed. No other internet surfing or access allowed. But unlimited directnow watching
The downside is no att service or other WiFi ? No tv
My bet is Mpeg4 SD national channels on 101, Mpeg4 HD channels on 101, new receiver, maybe new LNB. The cellular solution has additional costs per user; there is not nationwide cellular coverage for this bandwidth anyway. The 101 solution is basically free and allows them to continue to charge $10 for HD to their 20,000,000 customers, which represents $2B in annual revenue alone.

In addition, I am sure that Winegard knows since all of their 18" RV dishes are on backorder...but not listed as obsolete product.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Re: KVH Trac Vision L3, 16 years old, 200K miles. DirectTV, SD service

KVH indicated I will need a new receiver box, "H24 is the newest model" that I can use. The set up is 18" dish & multiplex. He indicated I can obtain one now and it will be HD service.

I have an H24 box at home (8 years old), that came with the "B Band" converter for Ka + Ku reception. This is a plain HD setup, so I'm guessing Direct's current plan is to simply broadcast in HD in lieu of SD? I currently have SD on the coach and HD at home, the channels are identical.

Bernie
Pearland, Tx
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Re: KVH Trac Vision L3, 16 years old, 200K miles. DirectTV, SD service

KVH indicated I will need a new receiver box, "H24 is the newest model" that I can use. The set up is 18" dish & multiplex. He indicated I can obtain one now and it will be HD service.

Bernie
Pearland, Tx
Well, that could be good news, at least the 18" multiplex part, could be SD using MPEG 4 also. Time will tell, until somebody hooks one up and determines if it is HD or SD service. There never was any HD service on 101, which is what the 18 inch dish receives
Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Scott, attached info from KVH...hope this helps!

Bernie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DirecTV-chages-2019.pdf (181.7 KB, 15 views)
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
All-Went through the investigation of this several years ago. I use DTV, and it works but there are some steps you need to jump through.
1. For the KINGDOME to work with DTV, you must use an H24 Based receiver (or it’s equivalent DVR version, think it’s DVRH24 or something), anything newer will not work with the KD.
2. You can get an aftermarket portable dish antenna (the thing which captures the satellite signal) unit, which you can put up onto the roof while parked, the new ones should worth with the SWM technology, make sure first.
3. You will also need the little SWM box inline for it to work on HD. Those wires should be accessible in the tank bay where the tanks are accessible

I purchased an H24 box, and learned that if you make sure the receptacle (which you are going to plug box into) has power, you hook up the leads for the in/out first, then plug in the box and turn it on, it will adjust to the type of antenna (think Kingdome-old technology) you have and work, I did this for my MH so we have TV while traveling, once we get to our lot where I have a HD dish, I change the box with the one from home, and put the SWM inline and it will work on that dish unit and have HD/DVR as well. The H24 box doubles for the basement TV at home, still charge me 5 dollars for the second box. I own the box, so I don't pay them anything for that.

Yeah, real pain to carry two boxes, but, it’s cheaper than 1600 dollars for an antenna to go on the roof, which would then lead to new TV, which would lead to cabinet remodel because no one makes a 32” tv and even if they do, the bezel has changed and there would be a big space around it. As long as the Dell TV work, I am not changing anything.

If you do decide to change the roof antenna, make sure you put it after (toward rear of coach) the front AC unit, otherwise, going down the road it will bang around from the wind currents, and maybe get torn off the roof. You can choose to leave the KD up there, or remove it, just clean the holes where the screws are real good, and then put self-leveling cement over them to keep water out.

I would personally use Kustom Coach Works, in Springfield, OR, I have phone # if you need it for this job, the cabinet work, etc., they are experts on this stuff. Another owner said to put in all new cabling (coax RG6U or current version) which will improve your pictures. That then leads to removing everything up front and streamlining all the multitude of splitters WRV used to get this system to work. FWIW-Splitters for Dish/DTV are special, so make sure you get the correct ones from a good satellite store. A common splitter will not be correct and the signal will be degraded, especially so for HD or may not work at all.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Scott, attached info from KVH...hope this helps!

Bernie
Thanks, it does help. I had hoped that we would start to get HD for the national channels, looks promising. Of course, I need new receivers...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
All-Went through the investigation of this several years ago. I use DTV, and it works but there are some steps you need to jump through.
1. For the KINGDOME to work with DTV, you must use an H24 Based receiver (or it’s equivalent DVR version, think it’s DVRH24 or something), anything newer will not work with the KD.
2. You can get an aftermarket portable dish antenna (the thing which captures the satellite signal) unit, which you can put up onto the roof while parked, the new ones should worth with the SWM technology, make sure first.
3. You will also need the little SWM box inline for it to work on HD. Those wires should be accessible in the tank bay where the tanks are accessible

I purchased an H24 box, and learned that if you make sure the receptacle (which you are going to plug box into) has power, you hook up the leads for the in/out first, then plug in the box and turn it on, it will adjust to the type of antenna (think Kingdome-old technology) you have and work, I did this for my MH so we have TV while traveling, once we get to our lot where I have a HD dish, I change the box with the one from home, and put the SWM inline and it will work on that dish unit and have HD/DVR as well. The H24 box doubles for the basement TV at home, still charge me 5 dollars for the second box. I own the box, so I don't pay them anything for that.

Yeah, real pain to carry two boxes, but, it’s cheaper than 1600 dollars for an antenna to go on the roof, which would then lead to new TV, which would lead to cabinet remodel because no one makes a 32” tv and even if they do, the bezel has changed and there would be a big space around it. As long as the Dell TV work, I am not changing anything.

If you do decide to change the roof antenna, make sure you put it after (toward rear of coach) the front AC unit, otherwise, going down the road it will bang around from the wind currents, and maybe get torn off the roof. You can choose to leave the KD up there, or remove it, just clean the holes where the screws are real good, and then put self-leveling cement over them to keep water out.

I would personally use Kustom Coach Works, in Springfield, OR, I have phone # if you need it for this job, the cabinet work, etc., they are experts on this stuff. Another owner said to put in all new cabling (coax RG6U or current version) which will improve your pictures. That then leads to removing everything up front and streamlining all the multitude of splitters WRV used to get this system to work. FWIW-Splitters for Dish/DTV are special, so make sure you get the correct ones from a good satellite store. A common splitter will not be correct and the signal will be degraded, especially so for HD or may not work at all.
Just as a caveat, I have Dish... So if you're reading this and you want to use DirecTV, I would take what I posted in how I went about replacement with a grain of sand.

If, however, you're looking to use Dish, I would look very hard at the Playmaker. It's a dome set up, so can easily be placed where the original King Dome was and is new technology (i.e. if I flip to a channel that requires a satellite switch, there is no lag time as it automatically switches birds). It was a cheap project that literally required purchase of the dish and box; everything else was there. The only additional cost was the mounting kit and $20 sounder.

If you guys have any further questions, please let me know.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Think I have decided on going with a Dish Playmaker. Does this setup make sense and will work. The Playmaker to the receiver. Add the OTA tuner to pull in channels from the regular TV antenna. Then the HDMI cable coming out of the receiver to a 3 cable HDMI switch that I can switch the signal to whichever TV we want. We just watch one at a time anyway so don't see that as being an issue. Or spring for the dual and know I can have two going at the same time. Does the channel changers that came with the TV work or do you have to get Dish changers. Guess the only other one have not thought through is if using cable at a campground how to feed into all this. Maybe a switch between the cable and OTA to the receiver - not sure that would work. Or just plan on not using cable anytime

Thanks
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Have SD at home and in RV.(6 boxes) Direct TV has sent three letters about the change. Have called them four times and gotten four different versions as to what is going on. The no cost to change over started out with a $99 dollar install fee then $49 dollars and now free. When I ask about the RV they put me on hold, when they come back there is no clear answer as to whether it will work or not. They won't guarantee it will work. ( I think I will need to change dish) Anyway I like many of you have decided to do nothing and see what happens. Being a Direct TV customer for 19 years gets you nothing.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
...no clear answer as to whether it will work or not. They won't guarantee it will work.
what kind of dish do you have in your RV and did you want local channels or just national ones? They were going to give you HD boxes?

Thanks

Tags
satellite