Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Scan Gauge D in 2003 Alpine

Tomorrow will be installing the Scan Gauge D on our 2003 Alpine. Located the 6 pin under the dash.

My only question is: what is the on/off switch adjacent to the coach's 6 pin plug?

Does it have to be on for the Scan Gauge to read?

If so, any problems with leaving the switch on full time (running down chassis battery, keeping engine computer "hot", etc)?

If a problem, will just relocate the switch to an easy to access area.

Thanks.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Brett,

I was told that the switches (labeled "Engine Diagnostic Switch" and "ABS Diagnostic Switch" on my coach) have nothing to do with the data port, at least in the case of the Silverleaf data stream. They are used for some other testing. I get all the data that I am supposed to get with the switches in their normal off position. I assume the Scan Gauge D would be the same.

The power pins on my diagnostic port are always hot, even with the chassis power switch turned off. As the Silverleaf JIB has LED lights that would eventually run down the battery, I used a source that is only hot when the ignition is on to power the JIB. Not sure if the Scan Gauge D would have the same situation.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

First, we envy you your Alpine 38; great coach that's on our short list.

Secondly, I doubt that our ScanGageD could run batteries down in 10 years if the ignition is OFF. If you don't get an answer to your question, just leave it ON until you put the rig away for the winter.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Thanks, Jim. Exactly what I needed to know.

Rick, I was less concerned with running the battery down than about inadvertently keeping, say the engine computer powered up 24/7.

Brett
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

You can go to settings in the scan gauge and tell it to turn it self off if it has no engine RPM for a minute, it just shuts it self off until you restart engine
Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Good tip. Thanks Ron.

Brett