Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Screwing through the roof

I am about to hang a ceiling treatment in my 2005 fd4qs that’s a little heavy. I want to run screws through the roof to the interior to hang it. I know about sealing everything with Dicore. Has anyone used this method of attachment. Suggestions are very welcome

Jeflen
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

I have not ... but I would think that it would be good to catch a frame member. Maybe an aluminum plate with 4 screws in the corners is an idea. Also use an urethan sealant under any surface I.e. the plate bold heads and washers and like you said Dicore over everything.
Good luck
Ps: on some roofs you can see the structure if the angle of the light is just right. I know I can on mine
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:38 AM   #3

Good points, alpine6. One has to also be aware of ducts and wiring of course.

How much weight are we talking about and how large is your treatment?

Do you have example pics of what you are talking about?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Through the roof

Talking of 85" long and 38" wide. Haven't built it yet but most likely around 4 to 5 lbs. The thin wood 1/8" in the ceiling I don't believe will hold it safely. I will provide pics when done

Jeflen
Old 02-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeflen View Post
Talking of 85" long and 38" wide. Haven't built it yet but most likely around 4 to 5 lbs. The thin wood 1/8" in the ceiling I don't believe will hold it safely. I will provide pics when done

Jeflen
Since your addition is only around 4-5lbs I would think you could securely fasten it to the ceiling without piercing the roof by attaching directly to the rib supports in the roof structure.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #6

For the amount of weight you are talking about "molly" type fasteners in 1/8 plywood would be more than strong enough to support 4-5 lbs even if you only used one. Just watch the grip range. For the length you're talking about I'm sure you'll be using at least 2, likely more. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #7

I agree with paul.

However, if the total weight is really only 5lbs and your thing is 7ft long, and you attach it to the ceiling every 12" or so, each screw only needs to support about 5oz.

Is this like an indirect lighting valance?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #8

...tend to agree--you aren't adding that much weight and it will be spread out...it will be challenging to find the aluminum roof struts from below....the ceiling is a bonded sandwich structure so I think some type of expanding wall-board fastener would work fine.....actually, the 1/8" plywood would hold quite a bit of weight but the issue is easily stripping out the wood if you over tighten a screw...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

I’d recommend a toggle bolt fastener as well. Attack it from the inside, don’t drill through the roof.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

Oh wow I thought you asked because you need to hang some serious weight up there.
I totally agree with the above recommendations do not drill trough the roof that would be overkill.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For 5 pounds don't go through the roof.
For 5 pounds you could go with the good velcroe and a few screws for good measure. The collapsing screws or anchors might not even be needed.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Find the rafters and screw into them from inside.

I would not add holes from the outside. After time dicor fails, that is why you inspect you roof at least once a year. When it fails you could have a slight drip that from inside you would not see, but would be enough to rot the roof and/or ceiling underlayment or even the rafters if they are wood.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
For 5 pounds don't go through the roof.
For 5 pounds you could go with the good velcroe and a few screws for good measure. The collapsing screws or anchors might not even be needed.
The Velcro bond may indeed support the weight. I would not rely on the adhesive to do the same. Over time, in a dynamic environment such as a moving vehicle that may also be subject to temperature extremes, I would expect the adhesive to fail on one surface or the other. For securing an overhead object, I would recommend a redundant safety mechanism, which would most likely eliminate the need for Velcro.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
To all
Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions each
have great merit. After I build it I will then weight it. If it turns out to more than 5 lbs I will be back to the knowledge pool. By the way talk about ceiling struts I have tried to fine them with no success that’s why I was thinking him drilling through the roof.

Jeflen

Tags
roof, scr