Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #1

Does anyone know if there is a secondary filter on the 400 ISL after the water and rock filter on the coach?

On another forum the subject came up about having to replace the injector pump due to lack of 2 micron filter after the 10 micron primary water and rock filter on the coach.

The coach is an Alpine 2003. I would go look but the coach is in it's winter storage at this time. Thanks, Mike E.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #2

Does anyone know if there is a secondary filter on the 400 ISL after the water and rock filter on the coach?

On another forum the subject came up about having to replace the injector pump due to lack of 2 micron filter after the 10 micron primary water and rock filter on the coach.

The coach is an Alpine 2003. I would go look but the coach is in it's winter storage at this time. Thanks, Mike E.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3

Hi Mike:
I do believe that the spin on fuel filter located below the air filter in the bay at the right rear of the coach is all their is. I have been changing all of my own filters for both our 2000 40FDSS and our 2003 40FDTS with the 400 engine and they both have just one fuel filter. BTW Having been in the diesel engine filter business for over 30 years, it does make me nervous not having a secondary system. But Cummins designed it and warrentees it. So I say dont f-----with it. And I dont. But it does seem weird. Just like I had to learn not to fill the new fuel filter element with fuel before spinning it on. Cummins says dont. Spin it on empty and let the electric prime pump do its job. If you do that with a diesel truck it will suck air and never start. Oh well.....
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #4

Thanks Stretch for your information. I was just about ready to delete this question from the forum as no one responded and call Cummins in Yakima and pose the question. I did not know that I should not fill the filter before replacing. Somewhere some one said when the water circuit has indicated water it is too late. So after 19K miles it got changed just for good measure.

Also did not know that Cummins approved of the single filter. Did know about about the diesel trucks.

The air here is pretty dry at 20% humidity all year long so water is not much of a problem unless the refinery doesn't do it's job and the gas stations fuel tanks not purged. The fuel tank gets filled every fall before storage. The airplane on the other hand at $5.50/ gallon does not. I do activate every drain and do a swirl test of the fuel for water before flight.

2003 38' 400 ISL, 2000 Suzuki GV Dingy. 0 Deg F.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Do good anyway. Kieth Kent, #2 leadership commandment.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #5

Regarding not filling the filter; aparently Cummins feels we might introduce contaminated (unfiltered) fuel after the filter media by pouring the fuel into the center of the filter. The dirty (unfiltered) fuel would normally enter on the outside of the filter media, that is between the metal can and the media. When we pour fuel in the center, it wont be filtered before going to the injectors. I really do wish there was a secondary filter. But, oh well. While we are on the subject of filters, it is really good practice to never open the air filter cover for a look see. Just use the filter minder restriction gauge. As long as the gauge shows no or not much restriction, leave the filter alone. Removing the filter prematurely can allow dirt to get into the intake system just by the act of changing the filter. Also, never take the filter out and bang it on a hard surface to knock the dirt loose. You can easily crush the paper pleats and crack them and really allow dirt into the engine. I have over 35,000 miles on our 03 and the restriction gauge barely shows any restiction. Its good for another 10,000 anyway.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #6

[I have over 35,000 miles on our 03 and the restriction gauge barely shows any restiction. Its good for another 10,000 anyway.
]
Streach, I was poking around under my coach just after some maintenance and found the rubber hose that connects the indicator to the engine hanging loose. I don't know how long it had been like that. You might want to check yours to see if that is why the indicator hasen't moved?!
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #7

Have changed the main air filter twice in 19K miles because of the dusty roads such as the cassiar etc. Have ordered a replacement through the local Cummins shop but it appears I'll have to wait until We go out in Nov 07 and get one in Yakima. Have blown out the original filter from the inside and have gotten dirt out by bouncing on a long 2 X 4. I know the best thing is to replace with a new one but up here it's not possible. So the next best thing works, I hope. Have replaced the last one with a Sub from Car Quest that claim theirs is a Wix manufactured filter. It works but does not have the surface area that the original had. The differential pressure gauge has never really indicated a problem. Have put the disconnected tube on the list for storage removal inspection list. Thanks. Do enjoy our motor home in spite of the limited roads here in Alaska. Have traveled to the lower 48 several times since buying it. Mike E.

2003 Alpine 38', Suzuki GV 2000
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have a check list that indicates a Cummins 330/350 ISC has a 10 & 2 Micron filter? Can't find the 2 micron anywhere on the fuel line? So far, it's two days and the WRV Tech hasn't called back. Cummins was no help, check with WRV? Does anyone have a 2002, 36 FT 350HP with the 2 Micron filter?

FYI, the "stop engine" light is flashing on and off. VMSpc Code 233 is Cummins Fault Code 329, and one cause is the 2 micron filter. I was lucky and found one person at Cummins who acknowledged they knew the X-ref. Balance we have no idea!
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #9

I have an early 2001 36MDDS with a 350. It has only one filter. Recently had the engine maint light come on. Under warranty a Cummins authorized repair center replace the transfer pump. Light came back on after about 750 miles and same maintenance center worked on engine again. Cummins told repair center to reprogram/update engine program. So far no light, but only 1000 miles on it since this fix. Don't know if this will help, Bernie.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
If you want some answers I would suggest that you call Mike Young at Cummins Northwest in Yakima (800) 777-0336. He has been involved with WRV since they started building the Alpine Coach.

As far as know my 2001 38FDDS, ISC 350 only has one filter the 10 Micron FS 1022.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:23 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Mark @ WRV called Friday evening at 4:30 PM his time. I'impressed! There is no 2 Micron Fuel Filter. He also is going to check the VMSpc code with Cummins and call back on Monday.

FYI, we did find a cracked exhaust manifold while looking for the filter. Also there is a Cummins campaign for an overheating issue with the engine.

Bernie
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #12

Our motorhomes only have a single fuel filter. Having said that I believe Fleetguard (Cummins own filter company) does offer a spin on filter that has both a primary and a secondary fuel filter in one can. That may be the way to go If Fleetguard doesnt have it try Baldwin Filter Company.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #13

I will check it out. Thats a good tip.