Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #1

What security system (alarms and such) would you recommend?
David
05 Alpine
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #2

What security system (alarms and such) would you recommend?
David
05 Alpine
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
David,
As you can see not to many of us seem interested in security sys for our coach. The only coach that I had one was a 88 GB. that got broken into sitting on a dealers lot waiting for service. Dealer didn't set it, lost tv,vcr,micro an personal items. So much for the alarm sys.
I have some friends that have motion detector alarms that wire into there 12 volt sys. They have one over tv an another in bedroom. I think they got them at Home-Depot not to expensive but serve the purpose.
Most alarms installed by dealers would only protect the Gen, engine hood access, battery, drivers an main entrance doors. If you were to protect all compartments it would be pricey.
So that is why interest is low on this subject.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:11 AM   #4

I wrote an article for Bus Conversion magazine on the subject of alarm systems for RVs. It covers tire pressure monitors, a new engine/generator fire detection system and intrusion alarm system. I have the article posted on my web site:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Alarm%20article.htm

I market a wireless commercial level alarm system that makes a very good RV system because of its flexibility.

I would be glad to try to answer any questions you have.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10
Bus Conversion Project details: http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm (updated 2/17/05)

'85 Eagle 10 Bus Conversion
Jim Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #5

rockcj:

Two systems I installed:
1. Smarthome.com ( wireless )
Interior motion sensor with contacts on all windows and door. Has remote fob for turning on/off, added an additional exterior siren. It has a ton of features, even will dial your mobile phone when you have a hard line hookup. Reasonable cost, but takes two people to install, one to read directions by the step, one to push buttons.
2. Another smart little gadget from Smarthome. A little 8'x 6' box ( we put in the compartment under the vanity )that barks like a dog, even tho it sounds like he/she may have a cold. Using an X-10 Motion Sensor mounted outside next to the awning upright, it 'barks' if someone has approached the coach. Useful when you may be camping in a remote area, and would like to know if anybody is mill around outside.

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote