Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Select Comfort Installation

We just received our Select Comfort Premier King size mattress from Camping World. We have an 05 40fdts with king bed. It says to put the air pump under the mattress pedastal. I don't think that's gonna happen. I removed the old mattresses and there were a couple of pieces of fiberboard giving access to electrical and slide mechanism. The question is where to put the p[ump. Has anyone else encouintered this? I suppose I couild add extra hose and put it on the floor beside the bed. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, we changed our mattress to a Sleep Compfort and did it ourselves. The key is to space the "fiberboards" above the frame to allow the pump to lay directly under the mattress & your fiberboards.

Our bed frame had 2 - plywood boards for support and not fiberboards as you've stated. However, my procedure should still work. I added 1 X 2 pine "furring strips" to the frame (typically used to space drywall out away from a wall). The boards were laid on their side (2" side). The boards are slightly wider than the frame so I allowed the extra to overhang inside the frame. I used the appropriate length flat head sheet metal screws (size?). NOTE: You do NOT need to build a picture frame out of the strips ... just enough support for your fiberboards to screw back into place.

I laid the pump unit in an available space towards the head of the bed and slightly right of center (facing). As I recall, there's a cavity area that was pretty convenient and didn't interfere with slide operation. I brought the power cord over to the right (facing) to be plugged into the A/C outlet next to the bed. I'm pretty sure I drilled holes or cut out a space in the right side plywood (your fiberboard) to bring the air lines & A/C cord up through the plywood (your fiberboard). Keep the air lines as close to the top and center as possible to not interfere with the bladders.

You'll find that the end of the bed will now "jam" a little more in & under the vanity cabinet because of the new bed heigth. You'll see a slight impression in the bedspread when both slides are closed but I've not seen any real problem issues thus far. Both slides close without hesitation. We've had ours for 2 - years.

That's the best I can remember of the procedure. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. And, you can always email me at rhb1106@gmail.com.

One more issue - we've noticed that the pump (via the remote) registers different pressure at times and needs to be checked each time we go to bed. I've had it lose air which caused my back to hurt until I determined the problem. I would suspect a leak but I've had it register "100" (maximum) after moving to a new campsite just as much as registering too low. I suspect that differences in the quality of A/C between the Inverter, Generator, and shore power may be causing the issue. Please share your experinece.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

I mounted my air pump, side ways, in the rear "night stand" next to the head of the bed. My SC mattress is full length and taller than the original. I extended the plywood mattress support under the bed for the few extra inches of mattress. I also made a piece of thin plywood the width of the bed and about 5" wide. I covered this with some vinyl "wall paper" to make it look nice. I lower the pressure in the bed, then using the board between the vanity and the mattress, I push down the mattress as the mattress slips under the vanity, to protect the mattress.

Bob,

I have a SC mattress at home also. I find that due to temperature and barometric pressure changes, the number selected can change on a daily basis. I find this change to be exaggerated in the motor home due to travel and less insulation in the RV compared to my house.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerstel View Post
I find that due to temperature and barometric pressure changes, the number selected can change on a daily basis.
My biggest difference comes with altitude changes. I usually leave my bed fairly deflated at home (sea level) since anywhere I travel results in the bed becoming more filled. When I go to the mountains, it is downright firm at around 7200 feet. I'm hoping to not accidentally blow it out.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

When we first got the airbed, we put the head of the mattress at the end, and put the pump under the end of the bed. That was a pain because it blocked the drawers under the bed, and had to be tended to when the slides were brought in.

We turned the mattress around and put the pump next to the bed (on the closet side) and next to the night stand. The tube reaches the other bladder. When we need to bring the slide in, we put the pump up on the slide itself.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Mike:

My airbed has the pumps located inside the bladder (Nova from Costco). However, you can mount the pump to the underside of the platform using plumbing straps. That way the hoses and pump move with the slide. Just drill a hole near the head of the bed, to one side. You will need another hole for the cord and plug. if you use one of the bedside outlets, instead of hardwiring, you won't need to rig the wiring to follow the slide.

The bed deck is easily removable. There are about a dozen screws per side.