Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #1

Service Bay and Roof A/C Problems

1998 Alpine 36fds - Old style storage bay locks. Can't get the service bay latch to release. So I can't hook up shore power or dump my tanks. No access to the interior of the bay to force the latch to release.

Roof a/c has always worked fine on shore power or generator.

Leaving on a trip today and neither a/c will function on the generator. Circuit breakers are on and 110v are available throughout the coach.

Need solutions/suggestions for both issues. Thanks
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #2

Gene,

Assume you have turned OFF and back ON the two on-generator breakers.

If so, check the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) for power IN and OUT when on generator.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #3

So the ac currently works on shore power?
Do any of the 110 things work on the gen?
First thing that comes to mine is the transfer switch. My ac takes so long the first time around I would swear it was broken, but after that it's a much short time to start up.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Transfer switch problem?

Gene,
Any chance you can access the latch from below, like through the hole for the sewer hose? I have an '01, so its latches are old style but maybe not as old as yours -- they are held in place by a single screw from the back.

As to the A/C's, do you have any AC power from the generator at all? I'd suspect the transfer switch (I always suspect the transfer switch, based on personal experience).
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

Like Frank's thinking on both issues....the basement door latches on our Alpines are vulnerable to things like bed slides or sewer hoses, elbow, etc., have falling down against the latching arm--so it wont release--might be able to undo the sewer 4" cover on the bottom and dislodge whatever is against the latch arm.
AC issue kind of points to transfer switch but since AC units are on two different legs, one AC should work if you lost only one leg. Curious that you still seem to have 120v power in the coach while on genset. However, is there any chance your x-fer switch has failed on both legs but your inverter is providing some 120v circuits with power from the bats? That is my best guess--keep us posted....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Like Frank's thinking on both issues....the basement door latches on our Alpines are vulnerable to things like bed slides or sewer hoses, elbow, etc., have falling down against the latching arm--so it wont release--might be able to undo the sewer 4" cover on the bottom and dislodge whatever is against the latch arm.
AC issue kind of points to transfer switch but since AC units are on two different legs, one AC should work if you lost only one leg. Curious that you still seem to have 120v power in the coach while on genset. However, is there any chance your x-fer switch has failed on both legs but your inverter is providing some 120v circuits with power from the bats? That is my best guess--keep us posted....

Dean, remember the default position of the ATS is generator, so it could have failed in the default position and is not activating at all. I would get a meter on it and find out what it is doing. When I plug into shore power about 10 seconds later I hear the distinct thunk as the ATS changes to shore power. There is also a chance the breakers on the genny need to be reset, get a meter on the ATS and that will tell you what is going on.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Dave--agree, its kind of a "snipe-hunt" with a voltmeter--usually have to start at the power source [genset or the shore power pedestal] and see where the circuit has broken down.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions.

No issue with the ATS. I have power from the Onan at all 110v implements and and receptacles.

The issue was pilot error combined with CRS and lack of patience.

I was able to get the front a/c to work while on the road.
Yesterday I found the Duo-Therm Comfort Center manual online and by following the confusing directions I can get either or both a/c to work on generator power. But, of course a/c is not needed now with OAT in mid 60's at the beach in San Diego.

Still haven't got the service bay door open. Not critical yet, since we're not staying in the coach which is parked on a public street. I'd have to lay in the traffic lane to try to open it from below. I'll find an empty parking lot and try that or wait till I get back home in July.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

Found a nice clean off street concrete parking slab. Was able to get my hand and wrist up through the trap door on the bottom of the service bay and release the locking tab.

Wouldn't have been able to do that if the tab at the other end of the door was the one that did not release.

This must be a common problem on the early coaches. Any suggestions for a permanent fix?

The later coaches have different locking mechanisms.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

Gene, I thought it was oem for my cargo doors to have a cover over the latch rods and lock. I modified my cover by adding a hole so I could lock the door without the key. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6419.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	327401
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems, roof, service